New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by randall_l
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
435 Posts
New transport rig

I took my favourite girls to the park today--my 3-year old and my and her DLGs (Sorry wife ). Still need to do some work to protect the downward wings, but it works great!

Made from 12mm Schedule 40 PVC pipe and fixtures. It clips on and is held securely in place by the trailer cover. I bought a couple bungee cords, but won't need them.

After some recovery time from the (first-time) 2.5km uphill cycle with an extra 30kg behind me, we alternated between flying and playing. I managed to get around 40 minutes of flying (half-dozen flights with each bird) into the mix before the sun was just too much for us. It's time to go home when the water runs out. I'm glad the trip home is downhill.

I love the reaction people have to DLGs. An older (than me) gentleman approached me and started talking about how he used to fly stick-and-tissue models in the 50's and 60's. He asked what the power plant was about 10 minutes into the conversation and the same flight. It feels great to be able to fill someone with awe.

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
5,852 Posts
Great use of the kids trailer Randall!
I lived in Milton Keynes and there were cycle paths everywhere , I had a trailer just like that for my little girl , used to have the little silverlit planes in the back along with various toys and often a picnic for us all and go off for much of the day stopping at various parks .
My little girl is 12 now and Yorkshire is not as bike friendly and trailer was sold before we moved but I can see that I may have to look out for another trailer just for my gliders, I might even find a nice west facing slope within cycle distance if I get fit enough !!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by Rayven
Lift is good
Olympic Penninsula, WA
Joined Dec 2001
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
for a few dollars more you could have bought a binary 900
Who's the vendor for the Binary?
Rayven is offline Find More Posts by Rayven
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by Zedtwitz
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
545 Posts
Folded the wing right through the servo tray today due to FF stab detachment on takeoff.
Zedtwitz is offline Find More Posts by Zedtwitz
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Adam
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven View Post
Who's the vendor for the Binary?
Peak Hobby makes it. They have a 900mm and a few versions of 1500mm. I really like their 1500mm Binary IV. I havent tried thirr binary 900 yet but i want to. I think HobbyKing sells the 900. I would order direct from peakhobby though personally.
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by scruffy1
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,903 Posts
i bought the binary 900 through hobbyking way back when, as a replacement from the original mini DLG that i acquired from aliexpress before hobbyking even stocked them

long story short, as an american you will need it to come from internationally, whereas hobbyking stock the '900 locally - rare event that we get the advantage her

harry ha is the maker and distributor of the binary 900; you can contact him at peak hobby (based in hong kong) and he is generally prompt to respond

the site seems to be down at this point, but you could email him personally at peakha@163.com

the binary has been a fantastic plane for my requirements - small size, big performance, flies very well and looks pretty

but you'll need to do a fair bit of the work in getting it ready to go

edit :

air here is very calm and buoyant, but no real lift in the late afternoon

however, as it got close to dark the average "up and down" was consistently 70-75 seconds and it looked great
scruffy1 is online now Find More Posts by scruffy1
Last edited by scruffy1; Today at 02:58 AM. Reason: went flying...