New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2015, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by L Austin France
France, Brittany
Joined May 2013
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
Option 1 is to remove an SMD resistor (R24) and rotate it so that only one side of the resistor is soldered to the pad farthest from the edge of the board (resistor will now be covering the silk screen for R24) and then solder a wire for the GEAR pin to the free end of the resistor as shown by the red line in the first photo.

Option 2 is to completely remove R24 and discard, then add a discrete 10K resistor between the GEAR pin and the pad (farthest from the board edge) where R24 was soldered as shown in the second photo.

The attached JPG is a capture from the document referenced in the link if you need a better photo or more detail.

John

Thanks John.
I've just opened up the unit & blimey, aint it small! I can see the R24 thing you mention but only with a 10x loupe but can't see how it's soldered to the pcb. I've got a tiny soldering iron but not sure If I will be able to see what I'm doing to unsolder it. I can see that if I unsolder one connection & lift it a bit the rest is easy. Is there enough space below it to cut the connection? Any tips how to achieve this mod ?
Vic
L Austin France is offline Find More Posts by L Austin France
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2015, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by JohnRB
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
992 Posts
Yes, the parts are tiny. The small black resistor has small silver colored ends which are soldered to the board by a reflow process in an oven. The easiest way to remove these is with 2 small soldering irons so you can heat both ends at the same time,

Once removed you will see the two tinned pads on the printed circuit board where the resistor was soldered.

Removing the resistor disconnects channel 6 from the AUX (on/off) input to the stabilizer.

You can then solder a small 10K resistor to the pad closest to the R24 silk screen text and the signal pin for channel 5 (Gear).

It is probably best to do this work under a magnification lamp.

Good Luck,
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Austin France View Post
Thanks John.
I've just opened up the unit & blimey, aint it small! I can see the R24 thing you mention but only with a 10x loupe but can't see how it's soldered to the pcb. I've got a tiny soldering iron but not sure If I will be able to see what I'm doing to unsolder it. I can see that if I unsolder one connection & lift it a bit the rest is easy. Is there enough space below it to cut the connection? Any tips how to achieve this mod ?
Vic
JohnRB is online now Find More Posts by JohnRB