HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2005, 03:46 PM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts

Hey there...very new to this world of RC flying. Heck I haven't even got a plan and a radio yet but I'm saving my pennies for sure. In the meantime I'm doing some research and my local hobby guys suggested this website so here I am. Hopefully I will pick up some great tips and learn all about the amazing world of RC flying. Definitely interested in electric at this point. I have seen some awsome planes and by all accounts electric are easier for the newbies.

If anyone from the Brant area in Soutern Ontario is online here drop me a line and say howdy...maybe I'll even join the local RC club once I get some gear.

Happy landings one and all...
STO is offline Find More Posts by STO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2005, 05:03 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
welcome to the Asylum...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 30, 2005, 05:28 PM
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2003
1,188 Posts
Welcome to RCGroups

This is a great place for info. I spent months reading here before starting.

You may see lots of planes in magazines that say "great first plane" but do a search on something before you buy to see what people who have actually flown it have to say about it.

You can learn from the experience of others to learn about planes, chargers, batteries, ect.. to see what works best.

I chose the Slow Stick for durabilty as my trainer. After reading the 'Ultimate Slow Stick Thread" (the first one) and using all the mods listed there, I started to teach myself to fly. After reducing the throw rates to 70%, I did much better but not great.

Then I got FMS last winter and practiced till controlling the plane (transmitter) became second nature. What a difference!! Someone saw me flying last spring and said "You flew the crap out of that thing. I can tell you been flying awhile, the way you flew and landed" I told him I just started but I used FMS all winter and now I'm doing great.

A guy at work asked if I'd build him one. He asked again later and I told him I would if he did what I told him. He said what's that? I told him I'd get him a Tx and let him use my FMS. I wasn't going to build one the way I would for myself just to see someone kill it in 30 seconds. He said OK. About a month later he said he was getting pretty good on FMS so I began building his Slow Stick. I gave it to him after about another month. His 1st flight was a success and he's been doing fine ever since.

I was going to start out with glo planes but would have to travel an hour round trip to the field and joint AMA and the flying club. I live a couple blocks from parks so I went with electric. Just grab and go when it's not windy.

There's nothing wrong with flying clubs. I've enjoyed watching others for years and you can learn a lot and meet some nice folks. Electric is just so much more convenient and they've made great progress the past few years.

At a flying field you can get an instructer to teach you.

With FMS, you can get a lot more "stick time" in a much shorter period.

David
dfemmert is offline Find More Posts by dfemmert
Old Jul 30, 2005, 05:33 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Definitely a simulator is a great thing to have, especially when it's dark, wet cold and windy outside.

You can get realflight G2 at knock down prices in Ebay these days.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 31, 2005, 03:00 AM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Enjoying the wonderful European summer weather, aren't you, Vintage. But to ease your pain, it's probably close to as bad here in Holland. Good weather for building though.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 05:35 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Welcome to endless fun !
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Jul 31, 2005, 05:49 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,454 Posts
STO

Welcome to our wonderful hobby/sport/passion.

Let us know how we can help.

It has been one full day since your post. Are you flying yet?

No? Well then, let's get going. You don't want to miss all the fun!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 31, 2005, 07:26 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
There is more information than you could wish for over in the "Beginner Training Area" forum..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 31, 2005, 07:35 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
Here's a good place to start:
http://www.plawner.net/3/1st_plane/

The FMS simulator is a very good idea, download it today and start flying with the keyboard or a joystick, in a week or two you can decide if you need a better simulator.

I'd recommend going along to a local club (or all of them, if there are several) even if you don't join on the spot. RCGroups is great but something are easier to understand when you've seen and felt them. You might also make some useful contacts and discover which planes suit the local fields and conditions.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:03 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Hey STO,
I put together a newbies guide based around the Slowstick:
http://mattsrc.rchomepage.com/ssir/allinone.shtml

(it appears to be down at the moment - if its not up shortly i can email you the original)

Wether you choose the SS or not, theres a lot of useful info in there that pertains to all planes.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:05 AM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
Thanks...

Hey thanks for all the great posts. I am having a blast with the FMS learning how to crash with grace and dignity. Actually I have managed a few good flights on the thing already...can't wait to try this out for real though.

I will keep researching before settling on that all important first real RC plane.

I can't yet decide if I should start with 3 channel or go for broke and get 4 channel so when it's time to upgrade I'm already ahead of the game...

Cheers...
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:15 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,440 Posts
Welcome, STO. Your're in a good spot to take in the Ontario Electric Flight Expo at York airport next weekend. Check out the Electric Model Flyers of Southern Ontario website for more details.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:23 AM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
Already have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky
Welcome, STO. Your're in a good spot to take in the Ontario Electric Flight Expo at York airport next weekend. Check out the Electric Model Flyers of Southern Ontario website for more details.
Thanks, Von. Yep I booked mark the site already. Hopefully I can get more info on the expo so I can plan to check it out...thanks for the heads up...

Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:01 AM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanning
Hey STO,
I put together a newbies guide based around the Slowstick:
http://mattsrc.rchomepage.com/ssir/allinone.shtml

(it appears to be down at the moment - if its not up shortly i can email you the original)

Wether you choose the SS or not, theres a lot of useful info in there that pertains to all planes.
It does appear to be down..if you could e-mail the original that would be great. oakleys@rogers.com

Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:40 AM
The Young Man
Joined Mar 2005
615 Posts
Welcome to the boards and welcome to the hobby!

You will love it! And me personally after starting with gas and then leaving the hobby for some years I have returned to only Electrics.... they are a great way to get started, get started again or to get pretty advanced LOL!

As for me yes I would suggest getting a 4 channel + radio to get started with so that way you can advance with out buying new TX right away. And with most TX's being programable to multiple models you may only ever need one TX!

Good Luck and welcome again!

eX
Excogitate is offline Find More Posts by Excogitate