HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2014, 08:17 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2010
30 Posts
Discussion
Battery draining quickly but why?

I purchased two Traxxas trucks about 3-4 years ago thinking that my son would be interested in going to the track - we'll at the time he wasn't. Now at 13, and just before I decided to sell them, he has discovered a new found love for the trucks.

I helped him get the Traxxas Powercell 8.4v 3000mrh batteries charged up but now we're finding that the batteries are not running for more than a few minutes. Do batteries die over time, or do we just need to charge them a number of times before they begin to take a full charge? Again, we only used them a few times when new than they sat for years unused.
AllenB is offline Find More Posts by AllenB
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2014, 08:44 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,417 Posts
Charge them for 14-16 hours at .3 amps then cycle them a few times. Nimh need different treatment than lipos do.

Good luck and enjoy your time with your boy!!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 27, 2014, 09:19 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,268 Posts
Try what Mark advised. If they don't respond you'll need new packs.
Yes, ALL batteries die over time. NiXX that have sat around for years may have deteriorated.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Apr 27, 2014, 09:27 AM
Joined Aug 2010
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Charge them for 14-16 hours at .3 amps then cycle them a few times. Nimh need different treatment than lipos do.

Good luck and enjoy your time with your boy!!

mw
Thanks Mark. I have a Onyx 240 charger and it says the battery is charged then starts blinking. I can't did a setting that will allow it to charge at .3 amps for 14-16hours.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 09:54 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,009 Posts
Try the 800ma option.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:43 AM
Joined Aug 2010
30 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I also have an iCharger and realized that I do have a connector for these batteries so I'll try to charge them this way. I see that I'm never getting green light on the transmitter on the Traxxas trucks so the batteries must not have enough juice.

I'm also trying to bind the VXL to the 2238 2.4 receiver, it was bound some time ago to my Spectrum receiver, but it's not responding so I'm hoping the battery is causing this problem also.

I don't want my son to become discouraged with using the trucks so I need to get them up and running soon.

Side note, he was traumatized when he first got them because an SUV ran over his truck the day after I gave it to him. But he was very young so now he has a renewed interest in them and I want him to really enjoy them now that he's a new teenager at 13 and wants to use them with his friends.
Last edited by AllenB; Apr 27, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:14 PM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Check your ESC settings

One thing to check is that your ESC is set for NiMH and not Lipo.

I have seen this type of thing before with NiMH batteries on a Traxxas ESC that was set for Lipos, the lipo cutoff was the culprit.
Kemora is offline Find More Posts by Kemora
Old Apr 27, 2014, 03:58 PM
Joined Aug 2010
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemora View Post
One thing to check is that your ESC is set for NiMH and not Lipo.

I have seen this type of thing before with NiMH batteries on a Traxxas ESC that was set for Lipos, the lipo cutoff was the culprit.

One more question please. The batteries I have are 8.4v but my iCharger is already at 10v while charging, am I doing something wrong here?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 04:26 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,164 Posts
You're fine. 8.4 volts is nominal voltage for a 7 cell NiMH pack. It will go to 10.0-10.4 volts when it reaches full charge.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2014, 05:35 PM
Joined Aug 2010
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
You're fine. 8.4 volts is nominal voltage for a 7 cell NiMH pack. It will go to 10.0-10.4 volts when it reaches full charge.

Thanks so much. Man this amp volt cell stuff can be confusing.

Update: got them both up and running and now my son will have something to do after he has used his one hour of computer time tomorrow. Thanks again guys.
Last edited by AllenB; Apr 27, 2014 at 06:57 PM.