HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:31 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Be happy it's Chinglish, some helis don't even come with a manual.

Something else that bugs me, is buying something here in the United States, bring it home and get the instruction manual out that's 37 pages long, and it's written in 9 languages and you have to flip through it to find the English version.

YIKES!
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:49 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,264 Posts
Honest Question:

#1 The english in my manuals is bad

#2 The english in my manuals are bad

#3 The english in my manual is bad

#4 The english in my manual are bad

I would think that #2 and #3 are correct. But then again, i've only learned from watching TV.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
It's something in the culture, not knocking the Chinese, they seem amazingly capable, but details are lost on them. Take my Flysky GT3B radio for example. They go through all the trouble to R&D this radio (3 channel car radio), manufacture it. It's great, does plenty. It's cheap with a 10 model memory. And the dang expo is broken. It will do positive on one side and negative on the other. How the hell do you not catch that? And this is not an isolated incident. Chinese designed products are plagued by stupid mistakes like this. I don't understand it, I KNOW they are brilliant people, how can they make a mistake like this not catch it? The only reason I can think of is they don't care! It's high production and quality is second. But this is not even quality, it's just stupid. I don't get it.

And the spelling errors on the firmware of my Turnigy 9x radio, which is a well designed radio, give me a break! There's just no excuse. There must be no shame, because I would be ashamed.

On the manuals, look at this community, they could get someone to proofread and write a manual in exchange for a free model. They just don't care. It must be a lack of pride. Just my perception... But Chinese history does not reflect this, look at the historical structures they have built. Simply amazing. Very little over here that is as impressive.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:55 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Be happy it's Chinglish, some helis don't even come with a manual.

Something else that bugs me, is buying something here in the United States, bring it home and get the instruction manual out that's 37 pages long, and it's written in 9 languages and you have to flip through it to find the English version.

YIKES!

Oh, yes, this is the other crazy extreme! I say we send the Chinese some of our models, their heads would spin!
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:52 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Honest Question:

#1 The english in my manuals is bad

#2 The english in my manuals are bad

#3 The english in my manual is bad

#4 The english in my manual are bad

I would think that #2 and #3 are correct. But then again, i've only learned from watching TV.
Are you being serious?

1&3,because the english is only one thing, so it 'is' bad in all manuals.

If you said 'the languages in my manuals are bad' that's plural, so 'are' is used.

You learned from TV?!?
finguz is online now Find More Posts by finguz
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:03 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Are you being serious?

1&3,because the english is only one thing, so it 'is' bad in all manuals.

If you said 'the languages in my manuals are bad' that's plural, so 'are' is used.

You learned from TV?!?
so translate that to Chinese, you choose the dialect
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:16 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,264 Posts
Thanks, i just go with what sounds right. Another one please:

#1 Call me back in an hour

#2 Call me back in a hour

English class says it should be #2, but i tend to use #1

I'm not from the US. I learned spelling and basic grammar in class (BTW, i sucked at spelling because americans don't write phonetically, where's the K in knife for example? Or how do you pronounce the word 'read'?). Grammar and structure i learned from reading sci fi novels i picked up at the used book store. Spoken english i learned from TV. So i simply use what sounds right based on those shows.

One of the companies i used to work for is American. And they are probably the WORST english writers i've ever met. As an IT guy, i usually get called to look over the executives computers and i occasionally see emails between them and their main US branch. Misspellings, misplaced or missing periods/punctuations/etc., what's with that?
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Mar 02, 2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
I hear you on that. The 'an hour' sounds better because of the sound 'our'.

Have you ever watched Katt Williams?
Teacher: Spell knife
Katt: N-i-f-e
Teacher: Wrong, K-n-i-f-e.
Katt: This is dumb... Um that would be K-knife
Teacher: The K in knife is silent
Katt: Well then take that mother out

Anyways about american execs being stupid, even though they are execs, yeah sometimes... there's more than one way to 'make it' in america. Sometimes it's just who you know and what you do, aside from work. I've seen it too, and I'm not perfect by any means. But sometimes it is bad, I used to see it all the time too in emails and memos. I see it here constantly with 'here, hear' or 'their, there, they're'.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:55 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
H is a flexible exception to the "use 'an' before a consonant" rule. The initial sound of "hour" is not H, it is a vowel sound same as "our". If one were to write "an harvest" where the initial sound is consonant, that would be wrong both written and spoken. For "hour" we need to know the pronunciation to define the spelling of the article.

Sorry aboot that, as the Canadians would say, or abuout that, as the English might be tempted to write. They love inserting unpronounced 'U's in spellings. Blame the French. They don't pronounce the letters that are spelled, and do pronounce letters that aren't.

English, being a mixbreed language from Europe and beyond, has more exceptions than it has reliable rules. I think Spanish is the most consistent for being written as it is spoken. It breaks rules of syllabic emphasis but annotates it in text. (E.g., esta = this, esta` = he/she/it is.)

I give non-US speakers/writers a lot of slack writing English. I'd look like a moron writing in Spanish or Brazilian Portuguese. But many of the worst violations--especially in writing--are by native speakers who should know better. There's even a song about it: "Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?" from My Fair Lady. Much less spell.

HOWEVER, writing for business publication--as in manuals--calls for a stricter adherence to the rules, for the sake of clarity. Chinese business doesn't appear to acknowledge this. But even so, their English is infinitely better than my Chinese, which is zero (though I can make dang-decent fried rice).
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Last edited by arbilab; Mar 03, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
In regards to the manuals... When I have dealt with Chinese businessmen, named 'Harry', they all act like such details are for pansies or women... You become like a needy girlfriend in their eyes. It's funny.

I think it has a lot to do with someone just being a businessman that creates a toy in their eyes, with no real interest or time in the hobby. Make (usually 'clone' of something else) and move 10,000 units, then onto the next thing, if the product becomes popular make more.

We're lucky we get a manual.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:19 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
We're lucky when they are not outright wrong, like they sometimes are. The computer translation of "never" and "always" could be the same in Chinese text and they'd never know the difference. Or care.

BTW, it's not just toys and it's not just Chinese. Our TV station in 1986 bought 3 $100,000 studio cameras from Japanese vendor Ikegami, a leading product at the time. Their manuals were jibberish, and I was already accustomed to Sony manuals which weren't that hot. For that kind of money they could easily have afforded a competent translator, but I guarantee you they didn't bother. And Japanese is what westerners would call a more-structured--more word-for-word--language than Chinese.

As an individual I'm in little position to criticize multilingual people. I know something of Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Italian, even Hawaiian. I'm not conversational in anything but English. But I'm also not pretending to do business in any of those languages without knowing what I'm saying in their language.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:33 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
I hear ya.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:45 AM
Joined Jan 2013
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannafish View Post
Is the Chinese actually OK. I was beginning to think that perhaps the Chinese instructions are as bad
Of course the Chinese is OK. As native Chinese speakers as least Walkera staff have a certain level of Chinese proficiency.
samho2088 is offline Find More Posts by samho2088
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:48 AM
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Thanks, i just go with what sounds right. Another one please:

#1 Call me back in an hour

#2 Call me back in a hour

English class says it should be #2, but i tend to use #1

I'm not from the US. I learned spelling and basic grammar in class (BTW, i sucked at spelling because americans don't write phonetically, where's the K in knife for example? Or how do you pronounce the word 'read'?). Grammar and structure i learned from reading sci fi novels i picked up at the used book store. Spoken english i learned from TV. So i simply use what sounds right based on those shows.

One of the companies i used to work for is American. And they are probably the WORST english writers i've ever met. As an IT guy, i usually get called to look over the executives computers and i occasionally see emails between them and their main US branch. Misspellings, misplaced or missing periods/punctuations/etc., what's with that?
If what you say is correct - and I certainly have no reason to believe otherwise Hajile. You have a very good grasp of the English language and in the context you are showing - it matters little as a way of communicating on a forum. Only an ass would pull you up on it. If it were to pass an exam however.. #2 is wrong.
I was born and educated in the UK. I like to think due to my education and subsequent qualifications I have a 'reasonable' understanding of English language and literature. But countries who use 'English' as their language do not seem to feel it important to be able to use it correctly. Any kind of attempt will do. I HATE getting emails on a professional level that contain bad grammar and/or spelling mistakes - in English. Yet I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the people I know who can actually spell and write English properly. 2 aren't from UK and have never been there. One is Chinese and one is from the Windies, actually that makes 6 as my Indian friend Dev speaks and writes better English that I could ever dream of(I think of him as English). Also my wife writes for a living. She has an immense vocabulary of words. Ironically the people I have met across the world in my travels who have an incredible grasp of English are South Africans and Indians. On the whole much better than your average English person educated in their native tongue.

Now I HATE to say this on an American forum BUT why do american websites offer a variety of languages but usually ONLY US English. Which, due to it's actual being, is ONLY used in the US. Surely having English as an option FIRST being it is the prime language in this context would be more appropriate? No disrespect here obviously - for me this planet is one. I even spell check on this forum to make sure I have the US spelling correct

I'm so glad I have had a wander around this wonderful planet - it makes it so much easier to accept things for what they are.
I must also add - I have been on a lot of forums. I do find people here seem to 'moderate' themselves. Much more reasonable and constructive debate and criticism than any where I've nested on internet world. Wish i'd discovered this world of RC fun many, many years ago. I've just discovered tonight that there is RC racebikes Cool - no more broken bones or gravel rash!!!!!
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:37 AM
Joined Jan 2012
516 Posts
Thank you for the input. Let me add this: We have met the enemy and he is us. This is directly from a US comic strip.
We here in the US are the ones at fault.

Talking about bad writing, that is being pushed today. I use, for example, the smartpad and other devices. Today shortcuts in writing on these devices is the accepted way of writing. Call them abreviations or just plane slang is up to you. Today students do not write good english and it is not even encouraged.
This is from an internet article. The author was overjoyed to write a form of slang so that the person could do speed writing. Never mind
that to those discussing this on this thread would be sick to death to read it. How can we expect proper US english when we are destroying it ourselves.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly