HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:04 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk View Post
Yep, was talking to someone the other day who has 10, some only active when certain switches are on etc. Did my head in. He was amazed I've flown at WC level with only 4. Even then I had a switchology problem once, lucky it was in the preWC and is easily prevented from happening again.
I agree, better to keep it simple.

My previous radio had "only" 4 modes. It was not a problem, I had just one thermal mode, 3 position camber adjustments were made by normal channel switch with one flight phase, giving me effectively 3 thermal "modes". Another compromise was to zoom in speed mode.

Now I use 7 or 8 modes. Actually I have to count them through to remember everything Don't know if this is better (performancewise), but maybe it is little more flexible.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:04 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablonsky View Post
I'll be starting in F3F, but I think this would be helpful for anyone learning to fly in any of the F3x classes.

Ken
Ken - for F3F - my advice would be to have the fewest possible modes. Reason - in F3F it all happens very quickly, and in a big turbulent wind (on a good day!) - you are concentrating so hard on the plane its very easy to end up flying the course in the wrong mode!

I dont have modes as such on my old JR Tx, but I use a 3-position switch in a similar manner:
1. launch (and thermal mode when not racing) - flaps & ailerons down a bit ("camber") - helps to climb out / gain height
2. fly/race - flaps & ailerons neutral - main setting
3. speed/aerobatics - flaps & ailerons up a bit ("reflex") - but not on all my F3F models - some go well with reflex, others dont

Besides the modes, you will also need "snap flap", which moves the flaps and ailerons down a bit when pulling up elevator in the turns - makes for tighter/faster turns.

hope that helps? - and good luck on the F3F course - give it a try, its a blast !

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:06 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
556 Posts
Thanks Phil,

I heard about the snap-flaps from Warren, but didn't take the time to understand them. This is helpful. I'll have to go back through my programming and make further adjustments.

Ken
Yablonsky is offline Find More Posts by Yablonsky
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:57 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Taylor View Post
Ken - for F3F - my advice would be to have the fewest possible modes. Reason - in F3F it all happens very quickly, and in a big turbulent wind (on a good day!) - you are concentrating so hard on the plane its very easy to end up flying the course in the wrong mode!

I dont have modes as such on my old JR Tx, but I use a 3-position switch in a similar manner:
1. launch (and thermal mode when not racing) - flaps & ailerons down a bit ("camber") - helps to climb out / gain height
2. fly/race - flaps & ailerons neutral - main setting
3. speed/aerobatics - flaps & ailerons up a bit ("reflex") - but not on all my F3F models - some go well with reflex, others dont

Besides the modes, you will also need "snap flap", which moves the flaps and ailerons down a bit when pulling up elevator in the turns - makes for tighter/faster turns.

hope that helps? - and good luck on the F3F course - give it a try, its a blast !

Phil.
Phil, sounds pretty much how I laid it out to Ken. He will catch on quite quickly. Simple is good.

WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman