SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:12 PM
ledpole
United States, NJ, West Deptford
Joined Jan 2012
53 Posts
Discussion
Paint over Dope ???

have the opportunity to pick up an older plane that the current owner also purchased used but never finished. It currently has a primer dope finsih. No idea of type of covering or type of dope used. Is there any paint on the market I can safely use. The plane is wood construction. Prefer rattle can or air brush if necessary.

Thanks
ledpole is offline Find More Posts by ledpole
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:12 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,440 Posts
By "Primer Dope" do you mean clear dope? It would be good to know if it was nitrate or butyrate dope. Almost any type of paint can be applied over nitrate. Butyrate can be a bit fussier, but I suspect that you won't have any problems airbrushing almost any type of paint over top. Even with rattle cans, I think the only ones you might have a problem with is automotive lacquers. Test a small patch and see.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:39 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,084 Posts
I may be wrong here but I think.... Automotive lacquer should be one of the first choices. Dope and lacquer are kind of in the same family as both are solvent based. I would just make sure the dope finish is well sanded and very clean. Try some rattle can lacquer on the bottom of the fuse, ( a small patch) and double check for a reaction. There should be none. If all is OK then spray away. Sand off 99% of the first coat then re-spray a light coat just enough to cover. VERY lightly sand and shoot on your color.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:12 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
I may be wrong here but I think.... Automotive lacquer should be one of the first choices. Dope and lacquer are kind of in the same family as both are solvent based. I would just make sure the dope finish is well sanded and very clean. Try some rattle can lacquer on the bottom of the fuse, ( a small patch) and double check for a reaction. There should be none. If all is OK then spray away. Sand off 99% of the first coat then re-spray a light coat just enough to cover. VERY lightly sand and shoot on your color.

Ken
Exactly, they are of the same solvent base, which may, and I stress may, eat into the surface of the clear dope and cause crazing. But if it doesn't, then it's good to go. As you said, try some light coats first. It always pays to test compatibility first.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:26 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
Exactly, they are of the same solvent base, which may, and I stress may, eat into the surface of the clear dope and cause crazing.
That is one of the beauties of lacquer paint. The following coat will slightly soften and bond to the under laying coat. You always , well, almost always have a perfect bond. I would not expect lacquer over dope to cause any problems. The other way around though I would have more concern.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:04 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,666 Posts
I sprayed warbird colors over a doped fabric covered cub. Worked fine. But this was his old formula. I hear his supplier changed formula and he's having to change some things. Last I heard he doesnt use the catalyst anymore and recommends you use a clear coat, which I usually do anyway. Nelsons would probably work too.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:22 PM
United States, NJ, Pedricktown
Joined Jan 2013
29 Posts
Paint over dope

I've just purchased a refinished airplane that was supposedly recovered and painted with a butyrate primer on the fuselage and clear over fabric on the wings. This had been done quite a while ago so the dope finish was well cured. I painted the entire airplane with spray cans of indoor/outdoor gloss "Krylon" paint, red fuse with tan wings, and it seems to have adhered real well. Also, rubbed some raw nitro fuel on it and doesn't seem to bother it. If any future problems arise with the paint adhering to the dope or with softening from the fuel I will repost and pass on the info. The "Krylon" didn't add much weight and is a quick dry paint.
Jack1950 is offline Find More Posts by Jack1950
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:59 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,666 Posts
Most of us use rustoleum, we know it is fuel proof. Some have reported that krylon is not fuel proof. Just an FYI. I dont know how new you are to rcg but I would suggest a search on krylon here on rcg and see what others say. This is just my opinion and someone else may have found a way to make it work.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:56 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Most of us use rustoleum, we know it is fuel proof. Some have reported that krylon is not fuel proof. Just an FYI. I dont know how new you are to rcg but I would suggest a search on krylon here on rcg and see what others say. This is just my opinion and someone else may have found a way to make it work.
Edwin
I'm with you on using Rustoleum. It may dry slower, but I feel that it is a far superior product, for our usage, when compared to Krylon.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:10 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
914 Posts
I don't think you can trust Rustoleum. I think the formula must change, or vary between colors. Some report excellent results, but others get problems. I wound up with a mess using Rustoleum downstream from the exhaust, and that was after it had cured for a couple of weeks.
buzzard bait is online now Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:31 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,558 Posts
Use what you are comforable with.

I haven't experienced problems with Rustoleum. That is why I suggest it to others.

After 30+ years in the paint manufacturing industry, I can tell you that I have never seen a formulation change, for different colors,, in the same product line.

There are many variables in a paint's performance. Surface prep, application, and cure time, are just a few. Get something just a little bit wrong, and problems can arise down the road.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump