HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:45 AM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
Discussion
Stuck valve saito 60 t

I tried running a saito 60 twin and discovered it has a stuck valve. Any ideas on how to free it up? Not sure about dissassembly. The rockers are held on with e clips. Can I just unbolt the affected cylinder without screwing things up? Thanks.
skypup is online now Find More Posts by skypup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,588 Posts
Yes you can. You will have to dissconnect the intake manifold. Also remove the valve covers. Once you remove the cylinder you will be able to look into it and see the valves. You could try pressing on the valve stems to open the valves and use a brush and some fuel to wash out anything that may be stuck between the valve and the seat.

If this is a old engine, that hasn't run in awhile, it may just need a good cleaning. Old built up castor can be removed with heat.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:16 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Yes you can. You will have to dissconnect the intake manifold. Also remove the valve covers. Once you remove the cylinder you will be able to look into it and see the valves. You could try pressing on the valve stems to open the valves and use a brush and some fuel to wash out anything that may be stuck between the valve and the seat.

If this is a old engine, that hasn't run in awhile, it may just need a good cleaning. Old built up castor can be removed with heat.

Thanks. It is an old but looks like new engine with apparently little run time.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:25 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,117 Posts
You can remove the rocker covers and heat up the head good with a hair dryer or heat shrink tubing gun. Usually it is some old congealed castor oil. Once it frees up some liberally douse it with some penetrating oil and keep working it so the oil gets in there more.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:48 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
They're free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
You can remove the rocker covers and heat up the head good with a hair dryer or heat shrink tubing gun. Usually it is some old congealed castor oil. Once it frees up some liberally douse it with some penetrating oil and keep working it so the oil gets in there more.
I kept spraying wd 40 into a small container and pouring it onto the rockers and into the rod tubes. Last time I checked everything freed up! I added some air tool oil, buttoned things up and she fired right up. Ran well.

I'n not use to twins. Is it typical for one cylinder to run hotter? Thanks.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,090 Posts
My 60T had a broken camshaft. Check that if you have trouble keeping the valves set.
706jim is offline Find More Posts by 706jim
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:26 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 706jim View Post
My 60T had a broken camshaft. Check that if you have trouble keeping the valves set.
Thanks!