SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, MI, Stevensville
Joined Apr 2003
16 Posts
Discussion
Old-timer

Would like a recomendation for Electric power package for conversion of Long Cabin Old Timer ...Big 7'6" ft Flat Bottom wing...Olson .60
Thanks,
Denny Dock
Stevensville, Mi.
ddock is offline Find More Posts by ddock
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,070 Posts
I would think that a "low KV" .40 glow equivalent brushless outrunner motor and 3S Lipo of 2200 mah would give you adequate power for old timer performance. You will have to minimize need for nose ballast by mounting lipo, speed control, receiver and servos as far foreward as practical and build rear fuselage and tail structure as light as practical. You can get info on motor/speed control/battery pack choices from Lucien Miller, Innov8tive Designs, and information tables on his website. Also go here for how to choose power systems info.

http://www.theampeer.org/
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
Denny,

Are you using this for fun or competition? SAM has a strict set of rules for competition and it is confusing.

What is the AUW of the Long Cabin? I have a 76" Quaker, It had an Ohlson 60 on it before I put an AXI 2812 on 8 x 2000 nimh (per SAM rules) or you can go with 3s Lipo and play with the prop to get the proper current draw and climb rate.

At 90" you will need more power.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
United States, MI, Stevensville
Joined Apr 2003
16 Posts
Brian,
Just checked the wing span again...78" not 90.Just converting it for fun.Low and slow! I Have a 'Butterfly'(powered glider) that I fly with a Rim Fire 15. Has plenty of power but a lot less drag.
Denny
ddock is offline Find More Posts by ddock