HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:46 AM
United Kingdom, England, Oakley
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
Build Log
100" Hawker Typhoon with Sound

Hi guys

My name is George and I own and run 4-Max so I am well in to electric flight.
I work closely with the world renowned designer and prolific builder, Tony Nijhuis. (pronounced Ni-house)
A couple of years ago Tony designed a 62" Typhoon as a free plan for the English magazine RCM&E.
I fancied building a large warbird and went through all the well known designs and decided they were all over done.
The Typhoon ticked all the right boxes for me, not often modelled, mean aggressive look, British, nice and wide U/C. The only down side is the very very short nose.
So I asked Tony if he would blow up his existing drawing to 100".
A couple of days later 2 HUGE 1m x 5m sheets of paper with a 1/5 scale Typhoon drawing on it arrived in the post - Thanks Tony!
My good friend and show helper Colin also expressed a desire to build one as well.
So the wood for just the Tailplane and fuz was ordered from SLEC UK and the retracts have been ordered from Unitracts International.

Tony is thinking 30lbs, but I think this is more realistic for an IC or petrol version. I am thinking of 25lbs or less.
Power will be from a 80mm dia outrunner rated at 6KW but I think we will only need something between 3 and 4KW.
Depending upon the final weight either 10S or 12S should do the job.

To make it more scale like we will be adding and amending some parts of Tony's design.
We will be adding a retracting tail wheel, inner gear doors, flaps, hiding all the servos and surface horns and possibly a sliding canopy.
It will be a working scale model and not super scale, I don't have the patience or skill for super scale.
Sound will be added using 2 or possibly 3 speakers (depending upon the need for nose weight) from Benedini in Germany.

The 1st thing we noticed was that Tony designed a late 1b but included an early 1b tailplane with is smaller then the late version (same as Tempest tailplane)
So we have had to re-draw the tailplane. You can see the ribs on the left hand side.

We are not quick builders, so please be patient.
Things will slow down when we hit the show season but we hope to have them completed and flying for next years electric fly-ins

chinehamgeorge is offline Find More Posts by chinehamgeorge
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:45 AM
Hampshire UK
Joined Mar 2011
30 Posts
Can't wait for this one George,
if you need any help with the CAD work on the tail I can help
5teve 5 is offline Find More Posts by 5teve 5
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:48 AM
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
Hi Steve

Thanks for the offer, we may take you up on this

We got a little more done last night - not a lot!

To give you an idea of the size of the tailplane, that's a 36" rule in the background

Colin is the drawer and what a great job he does of it - all free hand!

You'll see a lot of the next type of photo, i.e. with scales

A little every day gets the job done, it'll never get done if you keep waiting for a "good session"
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:04 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
Oooh - this is going to be good!

And I thought the 1/32nd Revell Typhoon I made at the age of thirteen was big....

Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:26 AM
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
Well I did say it would be a slow build

We weren't happy with the 1st tailplane we built so we scrapped it.
We have built another 2 horizontal stabilisers, these we are much happier with, stronger and perfectly straight.
They have been built in 2 slightly different ways as Colin has one preference and I like a slightly different way.
Both styles have worked out well, and progress has been made.

Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:58 PM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
Sounds like fun, I'm in
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash
Old Apr 04, 2011, 04:16 PM
"Simplify and add lightness"
West Midlands, UK
Joined Mar 2006
12 Posts
Lol! The build I've got on the go has a main wingspan of 36"! Love the Typhoon - count me in too
LAC_BeefY is offline Find More Posts by LAC_BeefY
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:55 AM
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
Hi Guys

We've been busy.
Both the horizontal stabilisers have been sheeted in 1/16 light Balsa.
The wing tips have been cut and will be tacked together and shaped.
Once shaped they will be removed split and hollowed out to reduce weight.
An extra gram on the tail means 6 grams up the nose to get it to balance
We even hollowed out the leading edges.
Now they are 4g lighter, doesn't sound a lot but that's 24g we don't have to add to the nose. it all adds up!

We have also made up the elevator half joiner. The ends have been ground flat for 2 reasons;
1 The flat surface spreads the load better
2 It reduce the weight.

The arm has been silver soldered to a small length of brass tube for strength.
It will be soft soldered in position on the piano wire next.
Why not silver solder it directly to the piano wire I hear you ask.
Well.. if you did you would anneal the piano wire and make it soft due to the high heat needed to silver solder.
Soft soldering is done at much lower temperatures then silver soldering and shouldn't anneal the piano wire. I hope that makes sense

Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:25 PM
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
1,179 Posts
28 lbs with ST 4500.

1/5 scale

This was my first Tempest. Started drawing 1991. Test flight 1995.

Good Luck with your project!
Ron Daniels is offline Find More Posts by Ron Daniels
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:37 PM
Flyinglow
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
Hello, we are still here, just been a bit busy of late - airshows, flyin's and the like.

It does take twice as long to make two aeroplanes afterall.

Progress has been made on the elevator and stabilizers.The front halves have been completly sheeted in 1/16 balsa - Sorry George W. thats 1.6mm.

The Ribs have been cutout and glued to the hinge piece, at first including the centre section that holds the elevator horn. This was to hopefully ensure good alignment. Once this had been achieved, this was then sectioned to allow us to insert that actual control horn. Support blocks where then drilled and glued in place.

Next Skinning the elevators...
flyinglow is offline Find More Posts by flyinglow
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:11 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2010
6 Posts
Myself and a few mates from down here in NZ have made 2 from the same plan you have blown up to the same size. one is 55cc gas and has already flown the other is waiting for an electric power system to be installed. You will need tonns of nose weight to get the CoG in the correct place (we made extra heavy backplates for the spinner) at that size they fly like a trainer and really float on landing.
Firebug247 is offline Find More Posts by Firebug247
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:38 PM
Flyinglow
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
Firebug247 - Good luck with the electric version, would be nice to see some pictures.

We are very conscious of the weight thing, with a 5 to 1 moment, every gramme saved at the rear is 5g less needed in the nose. We are aiming for a sub 200g tailplane (less covering+ paint) it'll be interesting to see what we achieve.

Plus any excess weight required up front hopefully will be supplied by a sound system.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:07 PM
if you see a weed, pick it
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Be carefull with the light weight tail, as im geussing you dont want to be scale enough to lose the tail in flight like the real ones
malakiblunt is offline Find More Posts by malakiblunt
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:08 PM
Flyinglow
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
One advantage of the windy weather we are experiencing is progress is being made in the workshop.

We've made a bit more progress on the elevator halves. After working the leading edge radius out to fit into our design of the tail plane - it turns out a 1pound coin would do the job nicely as a radius gauge!!

Thier's still more to come off, so we might get down to 30g per side if we are lucky
Last edited by flyinglow; Jul 27, 2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:28 AM
Flyinglow
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
Tail-planes are complete at last, pending final covering. We guessed/aimed around the 200 -250g mark, and have achieved 172g.

Rudder and Fin next - can't wait.
We will require a bit of head scratching as theTony Nijhuis original design was for a solid sheet fin and rudder. As weight is critical we'll be going for a built up design.

So for a while back to the drawing board.

George also wants the Fin fabric covered to give a more true to scale effect.
Last edited by flyinglow; Jul 30, 2011 at 05:41 AM. Reason: hampshire spelling