HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2010, 09:45 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,823 Posts
The scary thing is with a 4.1x4.1 prop on my ARC, the plane was flying at stock speed (at best). They have a chance to build up the wing the right way but it probably won't happen. The plane hasn't really been officially released yet so there is a chance. The failure of this airplane is unavoidable unless you prop down from the stock recommended setup. This many problems with just the few of us who have been flying it......

It was fun. Most of my friends thought it was a waste of time but I had to check it out for the price. We spend so much on molded fiberglass pylons, it was nice to see someone trying to put one out fairly cheap. Sure the craftmanship wasn't there, but you get what you pay for.

Now I will focus most of my time on my F5D project. 1500 watts, 6.5x6.5 pylon prop, 5S, ARGGHHH!!!!!
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 10:16 AM
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Apr 2004
122 Posts
Very entertaining vid, I have already watched it twice Glad there was no damage besides the plane. I think if GP addresses the wing issues (spar please!) they will definitely have something going here as there are few "pylon racers" in this price class. It wouldn't cost much to fix the problems. Next step up is a Sokol and similar for $100 more. I had a Sokol and it was definitely worth the $$$. That one had a unfortunate mid-air but that's another story...
JimCob is offline Find More Posts by JimCob
Old May 27, 2010, 10:20 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCob View Post
Very entertaining vid, I have already watched it twice Glad there was no damage besides the plane. I think if GP addresses the wing issues (spar please!) they will definitely have something going here as there are few "pylon racers" in this price class. It wouldn't cost much to fix the problems. Next step up is a Sokol and similar for $100 more. I had a Sokol and it was definitely worth the $$$. That one had a unfortunate mid-air but that's another story...
Yeah, if I didn't already have two Vip's I would grab a Sokol. The Sunracer is cool too, larger wing span.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:34 AM
Canada, NS, Bedford
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
WOW.
I have been following the Rifle thread here for a while and was planning to pick one up as soon as they arrived at my LHS but after reading the recent posts about wing failures and seeing this video I am going wait for the Rifle V2.
I am really glad that your plane miraculously found the only safe place to land in that shopping complex and no one was hurt. I am sure that drive over to the crash site was the longest few minutes of your life.
Misunderestim8 is offline Find More Posts by Misunderestim8
Old May 27, 2010, 02:11 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Mar 2009
82 Posts
Has anyone talked with GP about swapping out the current version for an updated one that will hold together. I spent more than the plane it self on the internal electronics and motor x2 and have never flown the plane. I do not want to waste the equipment inside. Wonder if GP will give us credit for another plane? I know the local shop will not, they want to get out from under it!
keehopper is offline Find More Posts by keehopper
Old May 27, 2010, 02:13 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keehopper View Post
Has anyone talked with GP about swapping out the current version for an updated one that will hold together. I spent more than the plane it self on the internal electronics and motor x2 and have never flown the plane. I do not want to waste the equipment inside. Wonder if GP will give us credit for another plane? I know the local shop will not, they want to get out from under it!
Not sure if they are going t omake any changes yet. Let's hope.

I lost my motor, battery, and esc in the crash yesterday.

Fisrt time I managed to ruin an ESC. It actually pulled apart.
Old May 27, 2010, 02:48 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Thats sucks man, ill definetly skip the rifle, looks like an identical failure to the previous wing snap....

Reminds me of this a few years ago, Maiden flight and the wing left the plane..... Everything but the Mega 16-15-3 was totally destroyed, about $500US in busted bits

But it was an awesome crash!
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; May 27, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old May 27, 2010, 03:35 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Not sure if they are going t omake any changes yet. Let's hope.

I lost my motor, battery, and esc in the crash yesterday.

Fisrt time I managed to ruin an ESC. It actually pulled apart.
a PROPERLY SUBMITTED WARRANTY CLAIM SHOULD BE HONORED.
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A MULTI MILLION DOLLAR COMPANY HERE(GREAT PLANES).. IF THEY HAD TO PULL A THOUSAND KITS, I WOULD THINK THEY HAVE INSURANCE FOR MASS DEFECTS AND LIKE THINGS.

I LOST EQUIPMENT TOO BUT WOULD BE HAPPY NOW WITH ONE GOOD AIRFRAME. S400 IS COOL STUFF.. AND IM NOT GIVING UP!
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old May 27, 2010, 03:38 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Welcome to the Addiction
Old May 27, 2010, 04:56 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Welcome to the Addiction
lol, that pink voodo on the aluminum balance stand was my home screen for a while.. then a sokol, now a sunracer.... so um yea
Old May 27, 2010, 05:07 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=463326
Old May 27, 2010, 05:42 PM
Permission to buzz the tower?
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Nov 2007
93 Posts
So, with a kit yet to be built sitting in my lounge, I have planned a wing tab mod and extra epoxy around the firewall.

Is there anything I can do about the wing? Would it be worth an effort to get a 3mm carbon fibre rod and dremel a slot to put it in as a spar? Then seal it with epoxy?

It might look bad, but add strength.

Also: Has anyone had more than 5 flights flying it gently on stock setup?
ds-fifty is offline Find More Posts by ds-fifty
Old May 27, 2010, 05:45 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,185 Posts
yep!
Old May 27, 2010, 05:48 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds-fifty View Post
So, with a kit yet to be built sitting in my lounge, I have planned a wing tab mod and extra epoxy around the firewall.

Is there anything I can do about the wing? Would it be worth an effort to get a 3mm carbon fibre rod and dremel a slot to put it in as a spar? Then seal it with epoxy?

It might look bad, but add strength.

Also: Has anyone had more than 5 flights flying it gently on stock setup?
Do it! and maybe you will be the first to hit 6 flights...
Old May 27, 2010, 06:30 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Mar 2009
82 Posts
Do any of your guys know where I can get a GOOD, I guess 400 size plane that I can use my stock Ammo, 3cell and other stuff out of this plane and have good performance? I have this stock ammo and the 4875 ammo...a couple himax motors....eflite esc's (30-60) Everyone keeps talking about the sokol and the VIP . Maybe something a little larger than the rifle...so I can see it! and somewhere around the 150mph mark! I have seen the voodoo online with sokol and VIP. They all look pretty wild, but I don't know how long they last. Any that you all have tried... and hold together, built well and stupid fast!
Thanks, I may give up on this rifle deal and see if my shop will take this back on trade for something else.
keehopper is offline Find More Posts by keehopper