HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:21 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnUK66 View Post
Thanks for the engine etc info.

If Im honest I was a little gutted for you when it went off the tarmac and nosed over, spoilt an otherwise good landing. Though since you mentioned it, I have rewatched and allowed myself a rather large satisfied smug grin at the end!

John
lol.. yup.. I just consider a part of the scale experience. There are only 2-3 people in my area that have larger 109s and they all have had problems with the scale gear placement. We all know that gear placement was a major weak point.

Well.. make that 1-2.. one went down pretty bad on takeoff a few weeks ago. It's a shame.. you don't see too many 109s around.. for too long..
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:22 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Flying weather is gone for a while, alas. I dunno if I will use them right away or keep them as back-up. The strut length is exact for this plane. These retracts worked immediately, no radio adjustments needed. They were delivered very fast. They came from china.
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:27 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Mike,

If you're not going to use that nose gear strut, I've got a plane that's missing a nose gear that might be able to benefit from the one you're not using... assuming you have no other use for it.

I wish that hobbypartz had that electric retract in stock, I've got two planes on the bench I'd love to put those in and just BAG the air systems I've spent hundreds on. They're such a stinking pain!
I had to salvage 2 set-screws off the nose gear for the retracts. The nose gear doesn't come with a mounting strut, although the mains do. I can send it to you but you'd have to find some set screws and a 5mm strut. I figured I'd keep the axle in case I bent one. But I'd sacrifice that for you no problem. If you have a fastenal u can match the remaining set screw to the others you'd need.

What's your address?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:09 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,854 Posts
Mike,

I've got some 5mm strut wire, and have one of those thread devices so I can match set screws no problem. Ace Hardware is right down the road, although I'm willing to bet I've got some set screws in some wheel collars that'd fit.

If you think you can use parts off of it, by all means do so. But if you think it's gonna sit in a drawer somewhere for years on end, I'd love it. I'd just buy some nose gear, but nobody sells just the nose gear, you've gotta buy a whole set, which I don't need.

I'll PM you my address. Thanks!

Todd
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:23 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,176 Posts
Perhaps the black plastic Spinner that comes with the CMPro 50 Spitfire is a bit weak ...

Yesterday I experienced some vibrations / resonances in flight. I went home and checked the balance, I thought it might have been a spinner or prop balance problem.

In the end I think the plastic backplate might be a bit weak, in particular I suspect one of the two screws might have been partially stripped the plastic ...

Luckily I had ordered a very nice new lightweight GP spinner of the right size from tower hobbies, so there won't be any downtime

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:42 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Those Great Planes spinners are wonderful, Too bad they don't make them 3-bladed or the right shape for anything but the P-40
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:12 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
Received mine today. Very impressed. They fit this plane perfectly.
The struts are a work of art. I'll never buy another robostrut, ever.
The struts drop right in to the retracts. I might have thrown away the set screw that holds the strut into the retract or maybe it didn't come with them, but the struts come with a nose gear strut that has 3 set screws and they all fit.
Mike,

I just order these struts as well... Wanted to get the electric retracts as well but the hobbypartz is backordered on them. Will these struts fit in the E-flight retracts? BTW, did you get the .25 size or .60 size E-Flight retracts?

hk
hyperknight is offline Find More Posts by hyperknight
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:24 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
the eflite 10-15 are 3mm
the eflite 15-25 are 3.5mm
the eflite 60 are 5mm
I dunno the strut size for the 25-46 size

I have the 10-15 in a smaller plane and the 15-25 size eflites were in this plane and have used them in this plane with success except for 1 poor landing. They fixed them and I flew it successfully again.

But, after receiving the new 54g retracts and struts I had to install them. I needed to remove a little wood from the mounting rails because the 54g retracts are a little wider and the struts are a little long for my Robart 2.75" wheels but if anything, it moves the gear to a more scale-like position (inward) but only a couple millimeters.

I have cycled them many times but have not flown it yet. Man, they look good and instill confidence.

Keep watching Hobbyking and Hobbypartz for the 54g retracts. They sell like hotcakes, and now I know why.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Quote:
Keep watching Hobbyking and Hobbypartz for the 54g retracts. They sell like hotcakes, and now I know why.
Yes I too await HK. I paid for a pair on the 9th November when they were out of stock, along with their dual action airbrush which was in stock. The site says ETA early to mid December. I eagerly await!

John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:24 AM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,346 Posts
Quote:
the eflite 10-15 are 3mm
the eflite 15-25 are 3.5mm
the eflite 60 are 5mm
I dunno the strut size for the 25-46 size

I have the 10-15 in a smaller plane and the 15-25 size eflites were in this plane and have used them in this plane with success except for 1 poor landing. They fixed them and I flew it successfully again.

But, after receiving the new 54g retracts and struts I had to install them. I needed to remove a little wood from the mounting rails because the 54g retracts are a little wider and the struts are a little long for my Robart 2.75" wheels but if anything, it moves the gear to a more scale-like position (inward) but only a couple millimeters.

I have cycled them many times but have not flown it yet. Man, they look good and instill confidence.

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I may just end up getting the e-flight .60's. I read the other thread about comparing the e-flights over the HK's. It seems the e-flights do have some improvements over the HK's.... Perhaps not worth the extra amount HH charges for them though...

I plan to drop these into the CMP .50 Spitfire. I believe you have this same setup in your CMP setup.

hk
hyperknight is offline Find More Posts by hyperknight
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:10 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I currently have the 54g retracts with oleos in this plane.
Before I had the Eflite 15-25 with robostruts.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:21 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,910 Posts
I ordered some of them fancy 54g 5mm oleo struts and digital retracts form Hobby City and another TGY 80 amp ESC today (all o-o-s & back-ordered). Last night I fried the new ESC I had....don't ask.

The plan is to start painting the bottom wing and fuse "Med Sea Grey" this week (and start waiting for notification of the backordered items are in stock and shipped....)

Note to self: Remember to double check the polarity of any newly soldered ESC terminals - before connecting battery to it.)

Right then
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Nov 30, 2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 06:52 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Hey Capt, hows your cockpit lookin these days have you assembled it further since the last pics?

John
Old Dec 01, 2010, 07:02 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Speaking of cockpits here are a few dash panels. I think the last one hasn't been posted here yet.
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:13 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Thanks for the pics Mike, where are they from, did you make them?

John