SaR
Ausgezeichnet
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
Discussion
Top Flight Spitfire?

Anyone know if this is a TF Spit?

I'm guessing that it is at least 20 years old.

63" wingspan
52" fuse
weighs a little over 6#s (airframe) with mechanical retracts.

Wings were attached with rubber bands/dowel pins.

Looking into an electric conversion of this old Spitfire. The guy that I got it from had it for 15 years and he never flew it. Although, it was flown by the original builder.

Kent
SaR is online now Find More Posts by SaR
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2009, 01:39 AM
Mk 9 Lunatic
Perth Western Australia
Joined Sep 2008
267 Posts
I'm not sure if it is, the canopy looks very flat, unless previous owner replaced it. It does look reasonably scale and I have seen scratch built Spitfires that resemble Top Flite. Attaching the wing with dowel seems odd after going to all that trouble to make it look like an actual Spitfire.
Atra is offline Find More Posts by Atra
Old Apr 29, 2009, 04:49 AM
SaR
Ausgezeichnet
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
Thanks for your response.

It has stamp markings on the visible balsa pieces (I should have said that, oops). So, I'm sure it was a kit. But I have not seen a TF airplane that used this type of wing attachment. Maybe the builder decided to make an easy version to speed up the field prep.

The plan is to update the structure with new hinges, fill-in the engine hole, etc. The finish was well done...no bumps or uneven areas. The wings are straight and I see no warping anywhere else on the airframe. My only concern is that the glue is brittle.

Kent
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:10 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,525 Posts
If it is then it's a very old TF Spitfire. I have the gold edition kit and it looks nothing like that. The cowl is different, the canopy is different, the gold edition kit has flaps and a dowel/wing bolt mounting system. Also its hard to tell from the angle but it looks like the distance between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the stab is much shorter than the gold edition kit. Maybe it's a red box kit? Here is a link to a pretty nice TF Spit build. Check out the pictures of the finished kit towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...pitfire/tm.htm

Steve
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Apr 29, 2009, 04:45 PM
SaR
Ausgezeichnet
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
Steve,

I looked at the Spit build thread and they have some good information. This project should not take too long, as most of the structure is sound. A few cosmetics and paint should do it.

Thanks for your help.

Kent
Old May 01, 2009, 07:12 AM
Joined May 2004
64 Posts
perhapsi its this

i have an old half finished sterling spit. gas kit from 1959 which may be same kit . the wood is very heavy and dense.got drafed and never finished it.
royalb is offline Find More Posts by royalb
Old May 23, 2009, 12:19 PM
SaR
Ausgezeichnet
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
Sterling Spit

Update:
You're right royalb....it is a Sterling Spitfire. I found a picture of one for sale and it is definitely the same layout. I sent you a PM about the canopy in your kit.

Sanding and filling. Primer coat. Recover of rudder and elevator.

The finish on this will be a MkIb, used by Brian Kingcome of 92 Squadron.

I'm still waiting on some parts - interior, oil cooler and exhaust for the final finish. May go with the Lado electric retracts after some flying but for now I'll use the mechanical gear that came with it.

Power will be from a monster power 60 on 6s swinging an 16-10 APC. Still looking at batteries and what weight will be required for balance.

Kent
Last edited by SaR; Jun 07, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2009, 06:32 PM
SaR
Ausgezeichnet
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
Update of rebuild

Almost ready for first flight. Still lacking a canopy (may make a mold and pull a new one) and other scale details, guns, mast, etc.

With two 3S 4000 mah batteries, I still had to add quite a bit of weight to make cg. That brings to total to 10.5 lbs. More than I planned but it does have generous wing area.

Kent
Old Jun 07, 2009, 06:42 PM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Good job! It looks great
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
Old Jun 07, 2009, 09:28 PM
Mk 9 Lunatic
Perth Western Australia
Joined Sep 2008