New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Apr 29, 2015, 01:21 PM
Depot is offline
Find More Posts by Depot
Fool on a Hill
Joined Apr 2014
61 Posts
Discussion
Obama's Spectacular Economic Recovery - in Perspective

I keep scratching my head when Obama continually tells us not only how great things are economically, but how great things are because of HIS policies.

For public consumption, I present this simple comparison of Obama's recovery to Reagan's recovery, which if we listen to Obama, Reagan's "trickle down" recovery was the root of all economic evil since then.

And yes, there's a graph because we all love graphs.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015...s-as-expected/
Depot is offline Find More Posts by Depot
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2015, 01:39 PM
UlteriorModem is online now
Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Registered User
UlteriorModem's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
804 Posts
Step 1 Impune the source.

Step 2 divert the conversation.

Step 3 continue the lies and embellishments.


There that should cover about 60% of the replies.
UlteriorModem is online now Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 10:09 PM
dll932 is offline
Find More Posts by dll932
Who, ME?
dll932's Avatar
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
327 Posts
Completely different conditions today. During Reagan you could expect jobs to come BACK.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 11:09 PM
WingNut64 is online now
Find More Posts by WingNut64
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
Completely different conditions today. During Reagan you could expect jobs to come BACK.
Could happen today as well, if you have a business-friendly Admin in place.

Dodd-Frank and the ACA were poison to small & mid-sized businesses.
WingNut64 is online now Find More Posts by WingNut64
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 11:15 PM
Schrott is offline
Find More Posts by Schrott
Registered User
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
Completely different conditions today. During Reagan you could expect jobs to come BACK.
Yes on that.
No on that, the low energy costs in the US might help to bring some of those jobs back, that got lost to extremely low income countries. Especialy industries that are energy hogs.

Than R did not have to bring the economy back from a complet melt down.
Than R did not have to deal with an economy that was that much world wide.
Than R did not have to deal with an economy that had such strong competition from Asia. China was still under the horizon, India, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and so as well.

The game has changed so much since R, its like comparing a T modell with a Powerstroke.
A T you could fix with a hammer and a few wrenches, try that on a modern Powerstrocke.
If one wants to compare, one has to compare todays apples with todays apples, not yesterdays, 20 some years ago.
Lets look at Europe, or China, or any other Asian country, compared to them, we are actually doing rather good.
I remember some 20 years ago and it sucked big time, was rather rough going.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 11:26 PM
Schrott is offline
Find More Posts by Schrott
Registered User
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNut64 View Post
Could happen today as well, if you have a business-friendly Admin in place.

Dodd-Frank and the ACA were poison to small & mid-sized businesses.
D/F is not poison, it weeds out, from the very beginning.
ACA, not realy, or in reality, since as an employer I can now shop around, because the market in the states that support it, is so much wider and the competition brings so many new, even regional plans, to choose of, it save guys like me a lot of money, serious money.

Talking points not much more.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 11:36 PM
WingNut64 is online now
Find More Posts by WingNut64
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott View Post
D/F is not poison, it weeds out, from the very beginning.
ACA, not realy, or in reality, since as an employer I can now shop around, because the market in the states that support it, is so much wider and the competition brings so many new, even regional plans, to choose of, it save guys like me a lot of money, serious money.

Talking points not much more.
The fact that the 'recovery' sucks is "talking points not much more"?

'Fraid not.
WingNut64 is online now Find More Posts by WingNut64
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM
Schrott is offline
Find More Posts by Schrott
Registered User
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNut64 View Post
The fact that the 'recovery' sucks is "talking points not much more"?

'Fraid not.
Yes it is talking points.
We live in a different world than what we knew in Rs times and that is what the OP is talking about.

Yes we have to consider that the US economy has changed and has greater and supiorier competition and is woven into the international market.
It used to be, under R, that the local market of 300 million, supplied by the US would be able to drive a recovery, it still worked under Clinton, its not the case any more.
It used to be, if the US economy had a cold, the rest of the world had the flew.
That's not any more the case.
We have a world wide economy and it is more than Asia has a cold, which it has, maybe even the flew and the rest has what......, your choise.

The US is not anymore an independened economy, those times are over.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM
WingNut64 is online now
Find More Posts by WingNut64
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott View Post
Yes it is talking points.
We live in a different world than what we knew in Rs times and that is what the OP is talking about.

Yes we have to consider that the US economy has changed and has greater and supiorier competition and is woven into the international market.
It used to be, under R, that the local market of 300 million, supplied by the US would be able to drive a recovery, it still worked under Clinton, its not the case any more.
It used to be, if the US economy had a cold, the rest of the world had the flew.
That's not any more the case.
We have a world wide economy and it is more than Asia has a cold, which it has, maybe even the flew and the rest has what......, your choise.

The US is not anymore an independened economy, those times are over.
Nothing you have posted has discounted or disproven my statements. The 'recovery' sucks, and the people in charge of setting the tone for businesses are responsible. They could have pushed for economic recovery-related legislation...instead, they pushed through two turds, one of which was opposed (for varying reasons) by a vast majority of Americans.
WingNut64 is online now Find More Posts by WingNut64
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:46 AM
CoastalFlyer is offline
Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, CA, Diablo
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNut64 View Post
Could happen today as well, if you have a business-friendly Admin in place.

Dodd-Frank and the ACA were poison to small & mid-sized businesses.
No, it can't & won't happen today as it did in the Reagan years.

It's a vastly different economy. Many jobs, particularly in manufacturing but also in other area's, are gone forever, never to return. This was not the case during the Reagan years.

The crash that Obama inherited was already happening during the Bush admin - who was impotent to respond. Those who were paying attention saw the crash coming long before it happened.

There are certainly things Obama could & should have done better, but this recovery was never going to occur quickly, especially given it didn't happen quickly.

We are in fact recovering. In my neck of the woods construction (both commercial & homes) is booming, businesses are thriving & house prices are obscenely high. People can't buy houses unless they have jobs.

Jobs will continue to improve as people gain the new skills that are required to stay employed in today's changing job market.

Is it as quick as some would like? No, but it's probably as quick as circumstances will allow.

Quote:
Nothing you have posted has discounted or disproven my statements. The 'recovery' sucks, and the people in charge of setting the tone for businesses are responsible. They could have pushed for economic recovery-related legislation...instead, they pushed through two turds, one of which was opposed (for varying reasons) by a vast majority of Americans.
While I rarely agree with much of what he posts, he is in fact correct.

The two things you mentioned have little to do with the economic recovery. It's hard to comprehend you would oppose legislation to prevent yet another Wall Street fiasco.

The R's have a Congressional majority and I'm still waiting for some positive actions from them. Just not holding my breath, as they are no different than the D's. Which is why I'm an Independent.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Last edited by CoastalFlyer; Yesterday at 03:19 AM.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion It’s Official: President Obama Is The Best Economic President In Modern Times Deadstick 8409 Life, The Universe, and Politics 76 Sep 11, 2014 12:51 PM
Discussion Obama's Mandate - a little perspective ENGINETORQUE Life, The Universe, and Politics 66 Nov 08, 2012 08:39 AM
Discussion Obama called him "one of America's great economic thinkers." freddy warbird Life, The Universe, and Politics 16 Jun 08, 2011 10:36 PM
Discussion Obama economic recovery plan Treetop Life, The Universe, and Politics 50 Nov 24, 2008 01:14 PM
Discussion Breaking: Obama's "Emergency Economic Plan" - Windfall Profits Tax will pay for it craab Life, The Universe, and Politics 72 Aug 04, 2008 12:10 PM