HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2009, 03:59 PM
United States, OK, Newcastle
Joined Oct 2004
89 Posts
Build Log
Electric Palmer Turbo Commander 1000 build

I know what you're saying, "Palmer doesn't make plans for a Commander 1000" right? Right. I have taken a set of 117" span piston Shrike Commander plans and redesigned them into a Turbo Commander 1000. I have already started it, so in the next couple of posts, I will catch you up. The dimensions are now: 121" wingspan and 99" long.
jetfixr is online now Find More Posts by jetfixr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:02 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Cool! I've been reading your thread on the Shrike to Commander conversion on RCU.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:03 PM
Joined Oct 2004
89 Posts
I started with the left side of the forward fuselage section. All I modified here was to add 10 inches of length forward of the wing. This is the first day of building.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:05 PM
Joined Oct 2004
89 Posts
Lynxman,

Yes, I do have one over there too, but I think I titled it wrong, and didn't get much interest there. Also, searching through the forums here, I have seen many more Commanders here. Plus, there is an actual Giant Electric forum here! What more do you need?
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:05 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,885 Posts
Very cool.
Can't wait to see your build, looks great so far.

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:10 PM
Joined Oct 2004
89 Posts
I finished framing up the fuselage pieces, and joined them. Next, I build a little interior detail, and added the landing lights in the nose.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:12 PM
Joined Oct 2004
89 Posts
Thanks Dag, I have been following your thread on the other site with your B-36. AMAZING WORK!! Your last post is actually what inspired me to try this site. I have alread subscribed to your thread here so I am looking forward to seeing how yours comes out.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:17 PM
Joined Oct 2004
89 Posts
Next, I started concentrating on the wings. I have added 2" to the inboard section of the wing where it meets the fuselage. Obivously I have also had to completely redesign the nacelles. That was a bit hard, because I am not using any computer software to do this. I basically drew it by hand, then filled in the details. I now have the left side of the inboard wing section built, and the left outboard wing section built.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:19 PM
Joined Nov 2008
131 Posts
That's awesome! Looks really good and I love your light setup!
Tyler P is offline Find More Posts by Tyler P
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:28 PM
Joined Oct 2004
89 Posts
I have recently been working on the retracts. The nose retract is installed and functioning properly, but I haven't done anything to the mains yet (I have to build nacelles first). The nose is a Robart 638RS with a Robart forked strut, and the mains are going to be Robart 150's with an offset lower strut to replace what they came with. I am also including a picture of the nacelle drawing with one of my motors on it. The picture of the fuselage with the nosewheel is the most up to date picture I have. Now I am working on the right inboard wing section.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:31 PM
Joined Oct 2004
89 Posts
Thanks Tyler P,

There is going to be a full lighting system when it is finished. I have planned 4 landing lights (two in the nose, two on the struts rigged to a switch on retract servo to turn them on and off) red/green/white nav lights, 3 strobes (both wingtips, and the tailcone) and 2 beacons. They will all be LED's.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:42 PM
Joined Oct 2004
89 Posts
You all are now caught up on my progress. This is going to be a first in many ways for me as a builder. This will be the first time I have built strictly from plans, first time to fiberglass/paint a model, first large twin, first large electric, first time to build with pneumatic retracts, and first time doing rivits, panel lines, etc. Long story short, I will definitely have some questions. My progress has slowed some over the last month as school and real airplanes have been taking up most of my time, but I will post updates when I get more done.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:46 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,591 Posts
I see you are using an Exceed motor setup. How do you like them? I have one in my Supercub for cruising. Its fine in that application. I'm wondering how their .46 size would work in my H-9 B-25.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Feb 07, 2009, 04:59 PM
Joined Oct 2004
89 Posts
Honestly, I haven't even ran them yet. They are the 110 size. I have heard all good things though, and for the price, I decided to take a chance. I am glad to hear you like yours. I definitely won't be using them for aerobatics or 3D, so hopefully they will be fine.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 05:41 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfixr
Honestly, I haven't even ran them yet. They are the 110 size. I have heard all good things though, and for the price, I decided to take a chance. I am glad to hear you like yours. I definitely won't be using them for aerobatics or 3D, so hopefully they will be fine.
Right on. Well if you get around to bench testing them, let us know what you get please.

BTW, great looking build you have there. I will be watching.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT