HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2014, 08:18 PM
Hay Pilot
United States, TX, Fayetteville
Joined Mar 2013
198 Posts
Discussion
Charger voltage

If you have a PS with adjustable voltage (12-24v) and your charger can operate at the maximum voltage, do you want to run the PS at the highest voltage, or are there situations where you select a specific voltage for a particular set of circumstances? Thanks.

Charles
Chascall is online now Find More Posts by Chascall
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:45 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,677 Posts
I can't think of any circumstances in which a lower input voltage would be preferred. In general, the losses due to dissipation would be (very slightly) less at higher voltages, and some chargers won't achieve maximum output unless the input is at or near maximum. Personally, I would set the voltage about 5-10% below the maximum, just for a margin, and leave it there.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:09 AM
Hay Pilot
United States, TX, Fayetteville
Joined Mar 2013
198 Posts
Thanks.

Charles
Chascall is online now Find More Posts by Chascall
Old Aug 19, 2014, 03:13 PM
Watching EKRAN
Joined Jul 2013
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr View Post
I can't think of any circumstances in which a lower input voltage would be preferred. In general, the losses due to dissipation would be (very slightly) less at higher voltages, and some chargers won't achieve maximum output unless the input is at or near maximum. Personally, I would set the voltage about 5-10% below the maximum, just for a margin, and leave it there.
There are buck-and-boost issues with some chargers (most/all?), so for example if you charge 6S you might want to set the voltage significantly lower than 24V if your charger has these issues.

Or if charger specs are incorrect/issues at high voltages.

Things like that... but usually you'd go for max voltage for most watts out.
varis is offline Find More Posts by varis