HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2014, 08:48 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,258 Posts
Discussion
Taft 90mm Viper 8S vs Taft 90mm Viper 6S vs Freewing 90mm Stinger 6S Top Speed

Anyone have reliable information about the top speeds of these three jets in their stock versions?
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2014, 09:17 PM
jacksonville florida
Joined Feb 2005
375 Posts
can we tweak it and add the hk cobra
cbear is online now Find More Posts by cbear
Old Apr 02, 2014, 04:09 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,769 Posts
Stinger will be the faster on the same power for sure. But none of these are fast airframes. Speed is just a number, fly closer and lower for a better "wow effect"
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Apr 02, 2014, 08:05 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbear View Post
can we tweak it and add the hk cobra
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Old Apr 02, 2014, 01:38 PM
jacksonville florida
Joined Feb 2005
375 Posts
from a good source I hear that the cobra is running a constant 115 mph , a few passes at 124 mph on eight cells level passes, I, like the look of the viper better for some reason, any one have the stock speeds 6 cell on the viper??,
cbear is online now Find More Posts by cbear
Old Apr 02, 2014, 04:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
192 Posts
Id get a kit a stock power plant is well stock!

I have a 7B and 40mm inrunner id like to see put in one of these! I know a wemo midi would beat 2100kv on 6s would do circles around them,, but the WHINE Also a 8s and midi with a 1700kv would do..
latinajet is offline Find More Posts by latinajet
Old May 20, 2014, 11:25 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3 Posts
Viper 90

I have the foam Taft Hobbies Viper 90.
I put my battery operated GPS unit inside.
I got 104mph actual on the 6S version.
It is fun...watch those elevator servos, only 9G power.
CaptHal is offline Find More Posts by CaptHal
Old May 20, 2014, 12:08 PM
Joined Feb 2011
192 Posts
2100kv with a light 6s and midi .. is awesome. 8s with 1700kv and midi is even better.. but for sound 8s 1350 kv and taft fan is awesome fast and turbine sound.

The best thrust to amp draw is the hoaye 12b on 1350kv on 8s or 1600kv on 6s .. light housing and 36mm motor not a big heavy 40mm..
latinajet is offline Find More Posts by latinajet
Old May 20, 2014, 07:23 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
Stinger will be the faster on the same power for sure. But none of these are fast airframes. Speed is just a number, fly closer and lower for a better "wow effect"
and this is coming from a person who has a speed run of over 300mph on there avatar.

but I do agree with you when it comes down to these planes mentioned ,I love the taft viper , but it would take some serious mula(money ) to get it up to speed .so I would fly low and slow for the cool factor , as for hi speeds 70mm edf fix my need for speed
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old May 20, 2014, 07:30 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbear View Post
from a good source I hear that the cobra is running a constant 115 mph , a few passes at 124 mph on eight cells level passes, I, like the look of the viper better for some reason, any one have the stock speeds 6 cell on the viper??,
do you have a link of a video with a Doppler pass . I would love to see that. the cobra is hot looking and I think its capable of hi speeds ,but not in stock form . there are members at my club who have the stinger and the taft . there speeds don't impress me, the stinger is faster but still not fast enough to say wow , and IMO it ugly . now the viper although slower , it looks, flies and lands gracefully
Old May 20, 2014, 08:13 PM
Joined Jun 2012
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
and this is coming from a person who has a speed run of over 300mph on there avatar.

but I do agree with you when it comes down to these planes mentioned ,I love the taft viper , but it would take some serious mula(money ) to get it up to speed .so I would fly low and slow for the cool factor , as for hi speeds 70mm edf fix my need for speed
What do you fly in 70mm? Setup? I have a Tomahawk Viper but I doubt it will ever be fast. It flies precisely though.
sothpaw is offline Find More Posts by sothpaw
Old May 20, 2014, 09:00 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw View Post
What do you fly in 70mm? Setup? I have a Tomahawk Viper but I doubt it will ever be fast. It flies precisely though.
I have a Phase III Squall ,Phase III F-16 , a Funjet ultra converted to an edf , a HK radjet 800 also converted to edf . they range from up to 125mph maybe faster but I cant say for sure since I haven't dopplered any of them but I will say this my 70mm edf are allot faster than the stock stinger all my 70mm pass the stock stinger like it was standing .its the reason why I am not impressed with the speed of a stock stinger. so when I hear about the stinger , or taft going fast I like to see a video . its not an easy task for such a large and draggy airframe to hit those hi speeds .if I where to make a quess I would say the stinger does around 105mph straight and level .I have a stryker B , that does around 100 and I kept around 20~30 feet behind the stinger I couldn't pass him ,,so the next time out I pulled out my Squall . totally different scenario. I kept head around 300 feet or more in front .
Old May 20, 2014, 11:07 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,038 Posts
Quote:
do you have a link of a video with a Doppler pass . I would love to see that. the cobra is hot looking and I think its capable of hi speeds ,but not in stock form . there are members at my club who have the stinger and the taft . there speeds don't impress me, the stinger is faster but still not fast enough to say wow , and IMO it ugly . now the viper although slower , it looks, flies and lands gracefully
If you want speed, you're barking up the wrong tree, none of these planes are very fast...in the 90mm class there aren't many that come to mind without breaking the bank, maybe a HET Super Sniper which is currently on sale for $299. These can go 150mph+ on a relatively mild 8S setup.
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old May 20, 2014, 11:49 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
If you want speed, you're barking up the wrong tree, none of these planes are very fast...in the 90mm class there aren't many that come to mind without breaking the bank, maybe a HET Super Sniper which is currently on sale for $299. These can go 150mph+ on a relatively mild 8S setup.
i don't understand why you are quoting me , i didn't start the thread i just asked a simple question i would like to see a video of the cobra doing 115. then some one asked me about my 70mm set up .i as stated before it takes a lot of money to get these 90mm edf up to speed .if i where to buy one i wouldn't worry about speed i would get the taft viper and fly it slow and low , but seeing a video of any of these planes doing some hi speed runs would be nice and very informative

cheers

on a side note if i where to be looking for one of these planes for hi speed i would hate to pluck down 500.00 and find out the plane i purchased didn't even break 100mph so why not a video,with a Doppler run straight and level.pass
Old May 21, 2014, 12:48 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,282 Posts
Quote:
i don't understand why you are quoting me , i didn't start the thread i just asked a simple question i would like to see a video of the cobra doing 115. then some one asked me about my 70mm set up .i as stated before it takes a lot of money to get these 90mm edf up to speed .if i where to buy one i wouldn't worry about speed i would get the taft viper and fly it slow and low , but seeing a video of any of these planes doing some hi speed runs would be nice and very informative

cheers

on a side note if i where to be looking for one of these planes for hi speed i would hate to pluck down 500.00 and find out the plane i purchased didn't even break 100mph so why not a video,with a Doppler run straight and level.pass
Here's a video of my stock Cobra. There are some straight passes. I have no idea how fast it's going. It's about as fast as my Taft Viper 90mm on 10S and 4Kw.
Problem is it's impossible to use things like RCSpeedo to get a speed reading and GPS is not accurate.

I would appreaciate it if anyone can doppler this.

HK Cobra 90mm 8S Sport Jet Maiden (3 min 48 sec)
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas