HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:43 AM
Escondido, ca, usa
Joined Dec 2000
285 Posts
Contest
1st Annual Mark Child Memorial Toys-4-Tots Contest

Just a few days ago a good friend of the Southern California Soaring Community passed away suddenly and unexpectedly, Mark Child. I first met Mark at a Toys-4-Tots contest in the early 1990s that he had organized when he was with El Dorado Silent Flyers in Long Beach California. He ran the contest for a few more years after that and then moved on to a new club and the annual Toys-4-Tots contest for the Southern California Soaring Community no longer had a organizer and sponsor club to continue the tradition. A few years ago I was approached by Mark to re-start the annual contest again at a different field and host club, Soaring Union of Los Angeles (SULA). I approached the board and club members of SULA and was supported to start the contest as a show of community service to the Parks and Recreation Department where are our use pass for the soccer field is through. This was to be the third year that Mark and myself were to be running the contest until the latest events. I would like to continue the tradition of the Toys-4-Tots contest for the Southern California Soaring Community in Mark's honor and dedication for the initial starting and re-starting of the traditional contest.

Now for the contest details:
Field: Field of Dreams in San Pedro, CA.
Date: Sunday November 24, 2013. Start of contest is at 9:00am.
4 Classes: Open, RES, Open ALES and Foamy ALES. The ALES is not man-on-man scoring but will be for launching only.
Trophies: Traditional Bear trophies for the first three places in each class.
Entrance Fee: For each class entered a $10-$15 unwrapped toy for the Marines Toy-4-Tots toy drive and a $5 field use fee.
Rounds:Three rounds, 5 min, 10 min and 10 min with 950 flight points and 50 landing points. The landing will be the normal surprise landing to be announced at the Pilots' meeting.

Come out and support the effort, enjoy the flying and remember a friend that is gone.

Thanks,

Terry Throop, CD
TThroop is offline Find More Posts by TThroop
Last edited by TThroop; Nov 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2013, 03:55 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,428 Posts
Looking forward to it...always a good contest.

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:44 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,203 Posts
Hello Soaring Enthusiasts and Friends,

It is with such profound sorrow that we recently learned of Mark Child’s sudden death. He was not only a great friend, but also an extraordinary teacher to many of us. Words cannot convey what is in our hearts. We can only pray that time can quickly numb some of the pain.

The sincere expressions of sympathy in various online forums, emails, texts, and even the old fashioned mailed cards and telephone calls have shown Mark's Wife, Kitty, that WE ARE THINKING OF HER.

Kitty Child would like to thank each and every one for all his and her support in this truly difficult time.

She would like everyone to know that a public service to commemorate the Life of Mark Allan Child will be held at:
The Downey High School Football Stadium on Saturday, Nov 23, from 2-5pm.

Address:
11040 Brookshire Ave, Downey, CA 90241

All are encouraged to attend.

On the following day, Sunday, Nov 24, Terry Throop will CD the Toys for Tots contest, held in Mark’s honor atthe SULA Field of Dreams location. Kitty will also be attending and will try to do a commemorative 1st flight with Mark’s Aspire.

The following weekend, The Downey SoarHeads will honor Mark with a smaller, less formal private ceremony to be held at the location where Mark calls home field most Sundays. This will take place Sunday Dec 1 at 11am.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Nov 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 09:43 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,423 Posts
I plan to be there with toy for the kids.....

And Terry I will be copying and pasting your announcement to my FB page to try to get some of my non-flying buddies to contribute.
;-)

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 24, 2013, 07:57 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,423 Posts
I had a great time at the event today....

1. Buddy corded with Kitty Child. Extra special. I loved Mark and was happy this went well.

2, Flew the Stork at 117mm, 13 mm behind the recommended CG. It rocked. Made all my times with landing each try, I'm liking the Stork 4. I even get an "atta boy" or two from the fabled Larry Jolly who hates me! :-)

3. Talked my buddy Brandon at 6 minutes left into hooking hard into a low thermal with the light Supra I built for him. And he's the MAN, he pulls it off!! Bueno!

R,
Target
Last edited by target; Nov 25, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:17 AM
(LITTLE TOM)....
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2005
344 Posts
Any pics?
ttoomm is offline Find More Posts by ttoomm
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:12 AM
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Aug 2010
197 Posts
Pics are up!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4467067...7638036287094/

Brian
Brain52 is offline Find More Posts by Brain52
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:30 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,423 Posts
Thanks, Brian! You are an awesome photographer!

R,
Target
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:41 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain52 View Post
As always Brian, outstanding pictures!
Thanks a bunch for taking them.
Congrats to Larry Jolly for the befitting 1st place.

On a side note, can anyone provide me with Ed Foster's contact info, or even the MArine directly?
I pm'd Ed yesterday to see if the Marine has located the missing package yet and see that he doesn't check RCGroups much.

The unintended "gift" item was stuffed inside the
"Umizoomi Come and Get Us Counting R/C Car" as pointed out in the pic below
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Nov 25, 2013, 01:40 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,050 Posts
PM'ed Ed Foster info

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
As always Brian, outstanding pictures!
Thanks a bunch for taking them.
Congrats to Larry Jolly for the befitting 1st place.

On a side note, can anyone provide me with Ed Foster's contact info, or even the MArine directly?
I pm'd Ed yesterday to see if the Marine has located the missing package yet and see that he doesn't check RCGroups much.

The unintended "gift" item was stuffed inside the
"Umizoomi Come and Get Us Counting R/C Car" as pointed out in the pic below
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member