Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 05, 2014, 11:29 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
The satellites don't put out PPM, but Spektrum serial data. The Lemon with PPM out should be OK though.
yeah the ppm/uart version works good, although its on the main page in feather light version theres no product page to buy it anymore just the newer cased ones
( it's available here: http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/...-ppm-uart.html and here: http://www.buildrcdrones.com/store/p..._PPM-UART.html )

they have a new one coming soon too
http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.p...product_id=118
its a placeholder for now the price is beyond reality
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2014, 11:53 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Looks great! What did you use for paint? Could you give a brief description on how you did it?

I'd love to do a paint job one of these days.

KC
KC, it was really easy! I ordered a spare case as well as new stickers and LCD window, that way I didn't have to leave the radio disassembled for the duration.

The paint is Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy, which takes almost a week to fully cure, but when cured it's super-glossy and very durable. Color choices are limited, but it's the most durable "rattle can" paint I know of.

Basically just wash your case with dishwashing soap and a scrub brush to remove all mold release and finger oils, then avoid touching it with bare skin. Let it dry well, do a final "dust off" with a tack cloth then shoot the paint. I supported mine on a small block so I could be sure and get all the edges.

That's it really, then you just apply new labels and put it back together.

You could also look into a local shop that does hydrographics. My friend Bobby had his DX9 "dipped", and it looks pretty cool:

Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old May 05, 2014, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,988 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll pick up a Lemon Rx then before they disappear.
One more question.
I'm using a HK Orange module for my BNF planes and I'll be using the Taranis as a master radio on the planes using the module. My only reservation for the wireless buddy box using a Lemon Rx is that the receiver is going to end up right next to the module since it will be inside the case. I saw the mod with the Lemon Rx in a module case in the bay but I'll be using an Orange DSM2/X module so I can't put the receiver there. Do you think having the transmitter module right next to the trainer receiver is going to cause some issues?
I ask because I've noticed that when I have my Taranis right next to any of my FrSky X receivers, I get a "telemetry lost" alarm. I just don't want proximity of the Lemon Rx to the module to kill my wireless buddy box setup.
Thanks!
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 01:48 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Looks great! What did you use for paint? Could you give a brief description on how you did it?

I'd love to do a paint job one of these days.

KC
There is a great thread on this from 9x mod days @ http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 01:54 PM
Currently in Nairobi, Kenya
Netherland
Joined Mar 2003
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Thanks guys. I'll pick up a Lemon Rx then before they disappear.
One more question.
I'm using a HK Orange module for my BNF planes and I'll be using the Taranis as a master radio on the planes using the module. My only reservation for the wireless buddy box using a Lemon Rx is that the receiver is going to end up right next to the module since it will be inside the case. I saw the mod with the Lemon Rx in a module case in the bay but I'll be using an Orange DSM2/X module so I can't put the receiver there. Do you think having the transmitter module right next to the trainer receiver is going to cause some issues?
I ask because I've noticed that when I have my Taranis right next to any of my FrSky X receivers, I get a "telemetry lost" alarm. I just don't want proximity of the Lemon Rx to the module to kill my wireless buddy box setup.
Thanks!
Can't say for Lemon but I use mine with a 9XR with a FRSky module and a FRSky receiver with telemetry and have no issues. All works perfectly.
Willie is offline Find More Posts by Willie
Old May 05, 2014, 02:13 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
I've been looking into using my Taranis as the master to teach my son how to fly and having it wireless would ideal for me. I looked up a few things and was wondering if this would work if the student radio is going to be a DSM2 radio.
I've seen a mod using the D4R-II for other FrSky stuff and one using a Lemon 6 channel PPM receiver for DSM2 stuff. I already have one Orange DSM2 satellite and a DX5 and an Ultra Micro RTF radio for my small stuff so could this be done to get a wireless buddy box set up?

The idea is that the Orange satellite receivers use PPM out and they can be used on boards like the KK2 with an adapter or directly on FC like the 3DR Pixhawk. If they output PPM at 3.3V levels, which I'm 99% sure is the case, can't you bind the satellite to whatever student radio you want and then use the satellite with a bit of wiring to go to the trainer port of the Taranis? Yes, I know you need a 6 channel radio with satellite port to properly bind to a new DSM2 transmitter but as long as you have that, you can rebind to any radio. It would take a little dis-assembly to rebind to a new radio but it seems perfectly possible to do and would take up very little room.

Basically:
3.3V regulator ground -> grounds on satellite and mono plug
3.3V -> satellite
Satellite PPM -> mono plug

You would have to grab power from somewhere for the regulator but you could grab it from any 5V source on the Taranis or even use a few AA batteries and stick it all in a DM8 JR module case.

Is there something I'm missing? If not, I may give it a go once I get a few other things finished.
This is my mod wireless setup with two Taranis. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=26840
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 02:35 PM
BAH MINI H 4 Life
Joined Sep 2013
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlobby View Post
By request pictures of my throttle brake mod:

This very simple modification eliminates the cheap grinding feeling of the metal on hard plastic friction brake. Its now very smooth and silent.

Remove the long screw on the right side, slide a piece of silicone fuel tubing or insulation over the metal strip and replace the long screw. Adjust tension to your taste and done!

Are you describing the ratchet feel on the throttle ?Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399318541.246353.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 128.3 KB
Description:
632bigduke is offline Find More Posts by 632bigduke
Old May 05, 2014, 02:52 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,871 Posts
Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy

Looks like Home Depot carries it. I'll have to check it out the next time I'm there. Thanks Chris, for the how to tips. And Scott, thanks for the link to the Openrcforums. I've got it bookmarked or future reference.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old May 05, 2014, 02:57 PM
BAH MINI H 4 Life
Joined Sep 2013
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
I figured I'd chime in here with what I've done to my Taranis so far:

1. "Stormtrooper" white face

2. 40mm speaker

3. New sliders

4. Swapped switches so momentary is on the left

5. DX5e module with internal antenna

6. Silicone throttle glider

I'm really having fun tinkering with this radio. I just finished items 5 and 6 last night, so I haven't been able to do any range checks with it yet. But it does work, and binds right up to my Spektrum toys! I was jazzed, because I'm a complete electronics idiot. I'm pretty good with the soldering iron, but don't have much of an idea of how the magic smoke works inside all those little widgets.

Chris

That's pretty much all I really want to do to mine
Without painting it
I'm good with the grey lol
But I've got a dx5 I can rip up and I'll need to find the video on the dx5 mod
So I have to put silicone hose over that strap to get the ratchet feel out ?
I thought I could just back out a screw ?
I'll keep reading lol
632bigduke is offline Find More Posts by 632bigduke
Old May 05, 2014, 03:09 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
You can just back out a screw to get rid of the ratchet feel, but there's another strap to adjust the overall tension / resistance on the throttle. If you snug it down, it feels "grindy" for lack of a better word. The silicone tubing makes it butter smooth, even when you have a bit of resistance dialed in.

Here's the Wiki I followed for the DX5e mod:
http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.p...e_DSM_protocol

Chris
Old May 05, 2014, 03:42 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,871 Posts
Here is how I did the DSM hack. No video, but maybe the pictures will help.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1749

KC
Old May 05, 2014, 03:48 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
KC, that looks very neat and orderly! I took the "cheater" way out and used a separate 3.3v UBEC from HobbyKing, but it looks like you have something "onboard" to regulate the voltage coming from the Taranis module pins?

Chris

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the link now to the Digikey bit you're using. Man, that's clever! Makes me want to re-do mine!
Old May 05, 2014, 04:14 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,871 Posts
Quote:
Makes me want to re-do mine!
Why? If it's working, it's working.
Old May 05, 2014, 04:21 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
True, it's working. I haven't range checked it yet (finished it late last night) but my only concern I guess is RF noise from the switching regulator vs the linear in your setup. I guess if my range is crap I'll deal with it later.

Chris
Old May 05, 2014, 04:59 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2013
607 Posts
WOW. Replaced the speaker in my radio - what a difference. If you haven't done so already you MUST do this mod. Very easy and massive improvement.

Also, upgraded the antenna to the 5dB version. Will range test when I get a chance. (I know that it has already been tested to 6km+ by others).
skquad is offline Find More Posts by skquad