HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2013, 02:39 PM
Joined Jan 2010
18 Posts
Discussion
Opinions on Motor Balancing

In researching ways to balance props Iíve come across discussions regarding balancing motors as well, and am wondering if itís worth it. Dynamically balancing motors seems to involve the use of servo testers, lasers, mirrors, and all sorts of elaborate setups. I donít mind doing all this, but only if it has value. What about removing the bell and using a Dubro prop balancer to balance it? Does that work as well? Certainly seems a lot easier. Once I get used to flying my quad, the plan is to get into aerial photography, and I understand the need to remove all sources of vibration. Advice would be appreciated.
cpercival is offline Find More Posts by cpercival
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Feb 2013
975 Posts
Motors need balancing, period. The aircraft will never be optimal without it. I've never pulled the rotor and done it on a static balancer, but it might work. I do 'em by hand, grab the boom with your very own, god-given, grubby mitt, and wind her up (no prop) and gauge the shake. You'll feel it. Apply a chunk of servo tape randomly, test again, move the tape in 90 degree increments testing each time for less shake. Then onward to 45 degree increments, you'll find the sweet spot. Then try bigger/smaller chunks. Doesn't take ten minutes per boom. Hash mark it with a Sharpie marker in case the tape ever comes off, although none of mine have to date.
Electro 2 is offline Find More Posts by Electro 2