Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 07, 2013, 05:47 PM
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Dec 2004
55 Posts
Discussion
Retired Combat Photographer new to multirotor based aerial photography

Just wanted to say Hi to all and introduce myself.

I'm a retired US Navy Combat Photographer trained in still photography, motion picture and videography. Not working professionally as a photographer any longer, but still do some semi-pro stuff. Pick up occasional book and magazine deals for my nature photography and aviation photography.

Been flying sailplanes for past 20 years. Also been flying helicopters for the past three years. Kind of getting bored with flying since I don't like to compete and not into the extreme 3D stuff they do with helicopters.

Multi-copters captured my attention since I can combine my love of photography with my love of flying RC. Been practicing on my simulator for about six months. Went and bought me a Blade MQX about a month ago. Have been enjoying the heck out of that and haven't crashed once...yet.

Bought myself a DJI Phantom, and it's due to arrive tomorrow. My plans are to mount my GoPro on it of course. Will use the stock mount for a few weeks, but will eventually move up to a gimbal.

Someday, I hope to move onto an even larger multi-copter that can carry one of my DSLR rigs.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for the forum as I take on this new avenue of RC. Looking forward to chatting with a bunch of you.

Wes
Phcret is offline Find More Posts by Phcret
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2013, 06:23 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,790 Posts
Hello Wes and welcome to RCG. There is lots to learn here but there are plenty of folks who will help you along your journey. I was a wedding photographer as well as an avid sport flyer. One day I put a camera on my plane and was well impressed with the results. Fast forward a few years and now my friend and business partner have started an AP business using an octocopter and just in the process of moving up to using a DSLR. www.stratosview.com is our website if interested in having a look.
All the best, ask lots and have fun!
CG
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
Old Apr 07, 2013, 06:44 PM
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Dec 2004
55 Posts
CG...very nice website. I enjoyed your promo video.

My Finance (also a photographer) and I have been talking about the possibility of going into a similar business as yours, only down here in the states. Not sure what the market potential is at this point. I wouldn't think the market if flooded yet, but could be wrong. I've been looking for an avenue to get back into photography full time. I'm in my early 50s and want to get back into a job that I get excited about. I'm sure you understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Goose View Post
Hello Wes and welcome to RCG. There is lots to learn here but there are plenty of folks who will help you along your journey. I was a wedding photographer as well as an avid sport flyer. One day I put a camera on my plane and was well impressed with the results. Fast forward a few years and now my friend and business partner have started an AP business using an octocopter and just in the process of moving up to using a DSLR. www.stratosview.com is our website if interested in having a look.
All the best, ask lots and have fun!
CG
Phcret is offline Find More Posts by Phcret
Old Apr 07, 2013, 06:56 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,790 Posts
I know the rules and regulations are a lot different in the US compared to Canada. You will find lots of info here on RCG-Aerial Photography regarding the use of RC aircraft and the legalities of such. Seems that the FAA have it in for those wanting to start a business in AP. I know that most of our flights are done under 200' AGL but as soon as we start to charge for our service Transport Canada is all over us no matter how low we are flying!
CG
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
Old Apr 08, 2013, 02:22 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,470 Posts
There is no sense to plan for a DSLR today, especially a full frame. In AP/AV, their last advantages that make them the pros choice worth nothing.
High ISO? who needs it when you are doing the job in daylight ?
Fast AF? AP/AV is a fixed focus hyperfocal job, you don't need AF hunting
Small DOF? see above, you want 1m to infinite.
To get the same full HD stream, you need processors 4 times more powerful, and consuming more current than the small sensors cameras. These muscled processors are advertised as a plus, but actually they aren't, just wasted processing power imposed by using a sensor too big for the job.

You need the smallest and lightest tool that can deliver in terms of IQ, and today these are in mirrorless realm, the GH3 and Nex.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa