HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:04 PM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
You have an excellent flyer David! I hope mine will fly so good.
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:44 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,892 Posts
Thanks, Conrad! It means much to hear it from you. I'm pledging myself to make the next on a bit more realistic in scale and still fly well.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BBCC Results
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
I am stuck in China for a few more weeks. I feel bad about not having my entry finished in time for the contest. If not for this trip, I would have made it. Maybe I will try and find some parts manufacturers over here while in the neighborhood, see if I can find something interesting to bring back and build.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,892 Posts
I'm always interested in electric warbirds, 900 mm span and under. If you find something "shipabble", I'd be pleased if you'd pass the contact information to me.

My email is the same as my handle on RCG... at hotmail.com
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2013, 12:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,892 Posts
I've been flying the sock off the Skua at every opportunity. With the CG moved a touch forward of the design location, she flies wonderfully. At one-half throttle, she looks very scale. I'm considering redrawing the plans for 60 inch span, flaps, and retracts.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,892 Posts
The Skua has proven to be a workhorse plane... rugged and fun to fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
I tried to find some hobby shops in China David. All I could find were factories that crank out models. When I return this year after retiring, I will have more time to learn where to buy things there. I would be happy to ship models from there to you. I know there is an RC community there, just need to get plugged into the local flying community there so I can learn more, and where to go.

I am really happy to hear the Skua has been such a successful build. Further proof of the quality of Earl Stahl designs, and of your own skill at adapting the plans to electric David. I enlarged a set of Earl Stahl plans for the TBD Devestator in 48 inch size waiting for a build attempt.

conrad
Old May 23, 2013, 10:07 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,182 Posts
David,

In one of your pics, the motor has a long shaft, which can bend mightily if you look at it the wrong way. You also say that the CG need(s)ed to come forward a bit.

Have you considered removing the motor, shortening the shaft, so that the prop is almost against the front face of the motor, then adding some lite-ply spacers to the motor mount, and remounting? That way, you simultaneously would move the motor forward, thus "adding" weight to the nose, and reduce the chance the prop shaft would bend.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Aug 09, 2014, 02:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,892 Posts
Well, after almost 2 years of decent flying, I decided to retire the Skua. I flew her twice today and then harvested the organs for future construction projects.

She was not pretty but, she was my first.
RCG Plus Member