HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2014, 08:38 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Dec 2010
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer View Post
From what I've heard from a couple of people who have the DX9 is they really like it. I had thought about getting one, but it doesn't offer much more than my DX8 does to justify the extra expense.

When i started flying the Avistar I had to use a Y harness on the rudder to tie in the battery. Airtronics, for some unknown reason, hasn't figured out how to put a battery port on their receivers, so a 7 ch receiver required all 7 ports for servos. That has been solved by changing to an 8 channel receiver. That was the only plane I had with a Y harness and I was never comfortable flying it with the Y harness installed.

I have my flaps set up on a 7 second delay. If you look at the video I posted the link for you can see the flaps coming up at a reduced speed while the plane is on the runway. I also mixed in 10% down elevator which turned out to be just about right to counter the ballooning effect of the flaps.

Hogflyer
Explain the 7 sec. Delay some more for me.. I don't understand.. I a new to all this flaps thing..!
ideas is offline Find More Posts by ideas
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2014, 12:34 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideas View Post
Explain the 7 sec. Delay some more for me.. I don't understand.. I a new to all this flaps thing..!
Say you want flaps to move from up to 45 deg. when you activate your flap switch. Normally that means the flaps will deploy in say 3/4 second - quite fast. With a flap delay you'll slow down the time it takes to deploy the flaps (the maximum delay time depends on the radio capabilities). Say you set up a delay of 5 seconds, this means the time it takes to move from full up to full down will be 5 seconds, not the normal 3/4 second. The 7 second delay is what I have programmed into my radio so it takes 7 seconds for the flaps to deploy from full up to full down.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old May 05, 2014, 02:31 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Jun 2004
337 Posts
How is this planes knife edge performance? I haven't seen any references to this anywhere so far. I like some aerobatics (no 3D please). Just curious.

Warm Regards

Travis
Pilot232 is online now Find More Posts by Pilot232
Old May 05, 2014, 04:38 PM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
Quote:
The DX8 with the AR8000 is a great setup. I fly the DX8 in my electric planes and really like it. It has all the programming features to set up dual aileron servos and flaps without the use of a Y harness.

I uploaded a video I found of some of the first touch-n-go's using full flaps on my Avistar. I was in close to a 90 deg cross wind if I recall and the plane was rocking a lot. You'll be able to see how effective the flaps are on this plane and why I recommend making them functional.

Hogflyer
Nice touch and goes Hogflyer! The flaps really slow that bird down. I have a nice long runway, so if I can keep from trying to slow down too much I wont stall this bird, this is my trainer for my AeroWorks Edge 540T, no flaps on that one either so I need to learn to come in a little hot unless of course I have a nice head wind!
mrbill812 is offline Find More Posts by mrbill812
Old May 05, 2014, 11:58 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill812 View Post
Nice touch and goes Hogflyer! The flaps really slow that bird down. I have a nice long runway, so if I can keep from trying to slow down too much I wont stall this bird, this is my trainer for my AeroWorks Edge 540T, no flaps on that one either so I need to learn to come in a little hot unless of course I have a nice head wind!
Thanks mrbill.

The runway I fly from is 400ft long and I try to land generally in front of where I'm flying from which leaves me approximately 200' to work with.

A bit of caution about the way I was doing my approaches. I was pushing the plane on the edge of a stall as evidenced by the rapid vertical drop with the plane in a level attitude - I was actually flying at a high angle of attack on short final, but it does show the stability and honest predictability of the Avistar with flaps (I've flown just about everything the plane is capable of with and without full flaps and it flies great - even spins upright and inverted). On one approach you hear a touch of throttle added to avoid stalling the plane and get some air movement over the elevator when I rounded out for landing. So I wouldn't recommend doing approaches with the high alpha/steep drop approach until you some good experience on a few different higher performance aircraft and learn to feel what the plane is doing.

The easiest way to avoid stalling a plane on approach to landing it to never let the nose get above the horizon. Always keep the nose down a bit and you'll have airspeed. Plus practice touch-n-go's to fine tune the landing skills.

Hogflyer
Old May 06, 2014, 12:05 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot232 View Post
How is this planes knife edge performance? I haven't seen any references to this anywhere so far. I like some aerobatics (no 3D please). Just curious.

Warm Regards

Travis
Travis,

I haven't done much with knife edge yet since I don't have a good engine on my plane. I'm running an older Evolution .45a PTS from an Alpha 40 until I rebuild my TT .46 Pro. Flying KE takes a lot of power for the speed, lots of rudder and a well trimmed plane. I have a twist in one of my wing panels I need to work out that makes mine roll out of loops (I have to cross control rudder/elevator to get a clean 500' loop) and causes a false roll in KE. Hopefully somebody else who's flow some KE will chime in on how it does.

Hogflyer
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:26 PM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
Well after flying my Avistar Elite for a couple months, a few hard touch and goes and other small repairs, as I was doing a roll, one of the landing gear decided to disengage and disappeared in the corn field adjacent to the runway. I got her down safely with only a slight prop strike but couldn't find the landing gear anywhere and it is backordered from all suppliers. I decided to mount solid gear underneath the plane and the modification went well, I'll post some pics when I get out to the field with her again. The orginal problem was the wood below the landing gear tab had been damaged from hard touch downs and I didn't realize it until after the loss of gear. When the plane was upside down it could move off the tab and the gear was free to fall like a bomb!
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:44 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill812 View Post
Well after flying my Avistar Elite for a couple months, a few hard touch and goes and other small repairs, as I was doing a roll, one of the landing gear decided to disengage and disappeared in the corn field adjacent to the runway. I got her down safely with only a slight prop strike but couldn't find the landing gear anywhere and it is backordered from all suppliers. I decided to mount solid gear underneath the plane and the modification went well, I'll post some pics when I get out to the field with her again. The orginal problem was the wood below the landing gear tab had been damaged from hard touch downs and I didn't realize it until after the loss of gear. When the plane was upside down it could move off the tab and the gear was free to fall like a bomb!
I've not yet flown my Avistar Elite. Can you give me any tips on flying it; especially landings.

Thanks,
Tom
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Jul 09, 2014, 12:14 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulligan View Post
I've not yet flown my Avistar Elite. Can you give me any tips on flying it; especially landings.

Thanks,
Tom
The biggest suggestion I can make is to have the flaps functional. They cut the landing speed and ground roll down quite a bit as the Avistar is a clean airframe. I also found about 10% down elevator coupled to the flaps helps a lot. Beyond that, it fly's like a good sport plane.

On landing, there is more than enough elevator authority, even with full flaps, to get good gentle nose-high landings.

Hogflyer
Old Jul 09, 2014, 09:10 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Joined Mar 2013
373 Posts
Quote:
The biggest suggestion I can make is to have the flaps functional. They cut the landing speed and ground roll down quite a bit as the Avistar is a clean airframe. I also found about 10% down elevator coupled to the flaps helps a lot. Beyond that, it fly's like a good sport plane.

On landing, there is more than enough elevator authority, even with full flaps, to get good gentle nose-high landings.

Hogflyer
Hogflyer:

Thank you.

Does it tend to come in for a landing with a lot of speed? I have fairly short grass landing field that I fly off. So, landing my Multiplex Mentor is sometimes challenging.

Thanks for your guidance.

Tom
Old Jul 09, 2014, 09:51 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulligan View Post
Hogflyer:

Thank you.

Does it tend to come in for a landing with a lot of speed? I have fairly short grass landing field that I fly off. So, landing my Multiplex Mentor is sometimes challenging.

Thanks for your guidance.

Tom
Watch the video I posted doing touch-n-go's using full flaps on my Avistar. In the video you'll see a white mark going across the runway center line - that's the mid point of the runway. The runway is 600' X 30', so I'm landing basically at mid runway. I've done plenty of landings without flaps, but find I use them now for almost all landings. For training, I use about 30% of the flap throw and reduce power to about 50%.

If you watch the video on the maiden flight dead stick landing, you'll see how hot it can land without flaps. I had to do a dead stick on the maiden and didn't know what to expect. It turned out to be a lot cleaner in glide (read better glide and a lot faster) than I thought and ended up landing off the end of the runway.

The Avistar is a solid, honest airplane. You may want to fly someplace with a longer runway initially to get used to it, but on grass it should do just fine once on the ground. It just takes practice landing to learn how to place a model like the Avistar at your feet almost every landing.

In August I'll be using the Avistar and a Kadet LT-40 for a local club's National Model Aviation Day / Wounded Warrior event giving buddy box flights for donations to the Wounded Warrior Foundation. I'll be flying off a 200' grass runway in a public park that will be cut in just for this event. Due to safety concerns and a tight space, I'll have to do very low circling approaches - no higher than 50' high on down wind and turning to the end of the runway in a tight 45 deg to 60 deg bank to touchdown. It'll be a challenge but a lot of fun.

Hogflyer
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:29 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Joined Mar 2013
373 Posts
Hogflyer:

Watching your videos is a big help. You are clearly a better pilot than I am but with full flaps, I think I can land it.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:57 AM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
Quote:
Watch the video I posted doing touch-n-go's using full flaps on my Avistar. In the video you'll see a white mark going across the runway center line - that's the mid point of the runway. The runway is 600' X 30', so I'm landing basically at mid runway. I've done plenty of landings without flaps, but find I use them now for almost all landings. For training, I use about 30% of the flap throw and reduce power to about 50%.

If you watch the video on the maiden flight dead stick landing, you'll see how hot it can land without flaps. I had to do a dead stick on the maiden and didn't know what to expect. It turned out to be a lot cleaner in glide (read better glide and a lot faster) than I thought and ended up landing off the end of the runway.

The Avistar is a solid, honest airplane. You may want to fly someplace with a longer runway initially to get used to it, but on grass it should do just fine once on the ground. It just takes practice landing to learn how to place a model like the Avistar at your feet almost every landing.

Hogflyer
I agree with Hogflyer, if I had to do it again, I would have hooked up the flaps. Not having the flaps is one reason I have had to do a few minor repairs over the past few months.

Without flaps you have to fly the Avistar all the way to the ground, if you try to slow down too much and a big flare, she will drop out of the sky and hard on the runway. It's probably not so much an issue with a grass field, but hard on asphalt. If you don't grease your landing and come in at a fast rate, she will tend to bounce, and then your choice is either to go around again, or just bump the throttle so it doesnt stall.

For it's size the Avistar is pretty heavy (or maybe all the extra gorilla glue I've used on repairs!) pay special attention to the CG as this bird is nose heavy and your going to need some weight on the tail to keep it from being sluggish.

Over all its a great plane to fly..... but hook up those flaps!

good flying,
mrbill
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:41 AM
Joined Dec 2012
88 Posts
Solid gear modification on the avistar elite

Name: avistargear.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 104.0 KB
Description: Avistar elite gear modification

Here's my landing gear modification it worked very well on the maiden after repair so I'm happy with changing this out.

mrbill