HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:35 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Dean - Great imagery! So for clarification - this is the current for just one flap servo - correct? Yes crow does eat up quite a bit more. I took it out before the last outing and it does take alot more room to land without it
Tradeoff's and compromises!

jack ~
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2010, 06:23 PM
Joined Oct 2004
597 Posts
S/N #3 was born June 2008. I added up miles flown cross country and came up with 486.1 miles. Years ago I had a "logbook" for my first SBXC keeping track of XC hours and miles plus comments for each flight. What may be more fun would to have a pilots logbook for XC just like full size.

Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Oct 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Aeroperfect incidence meter

pricey but very nice. looks like you can hook it up to your laptop. may have to pick up one of these.

http://www.aeroperfect.com/purchase.html
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:06 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
I have to comment on this!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
pricey but very nice. looks like you can hook it up to your laptop. may have to pick up one of these.

http://www.aeroperfect.com/purchase.html
Guys - Take it from personal experience - YOU GOTTA HAVE IT!!!

At CV thursday - Dean and I went thru my MXC - although close by my throw gauge - the unit that he had made it that much better. I mean the cross throw validation along with the mixing made it spot on!!! The control horns although made from the same mold, and you can use a verneer caliper for the control rods - there is still a variance from the TX menus/setups.

That MXC on its first flight was wonderful!!! I'm sure that this unit made a significant difference in the planes initial flight!!!!

Furthermore if you have an aircraft at 4600' and its veering off course is it because of the setup or the winds aloft - at least with this device you can mitigate the setup as a factor.

I would be willing to go in part for our SVSS guys to share, as it's mainly required for the initial setup, repairs or maint. So with you me, and Bill thats a three way split JLMK!

jack ~
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:34 AM
Joined Oct 2004
597 Posts
S/N #3 has over 600 contest cross country miles, has had a midair, been attacked by a dog on a ROG launch resulting in a broken tailboom. You think about moving on to the next one but has treated me so well I have to give back.
The stab pivot point is a carbon rod joiner going through a brass tube in the fuselage. There was always slop in the area as the carbon rod diameter is .248" and the is at least.250". I machined a bushing from 1/2" aluminum stock reaming the ID to .2485.
New fin post and refitted stab made it look new again.

Regards Dean
Old Jul 04, 2011, 11:51 AM
NCSS / SVSS Flyer
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2005
141 Posts
servo strength and elevator compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Norsworthy View Post
Dean,

Is the JR368 strong enough to pull the flaps at speed? I have found that some of the older standard size servos are not. This is a disaster as the elevator compensation kicks in but the flaps do not move and the plane dives.

Greg
I heard this discussion and can't remember exactly where, but if you loose some visual and fear your plane is diving and not under full control the best action may be to turn on "launch mode" with camber but no elevator compensation, and put the plane in a stall/ drop/stall/drop mode untill you regain orientation. Good trick if can I remember to do that ASAP when loosing orientation.

Scott
SlopeRC is offline Find More Posts by SlopeRC
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:04 PM
Joined Oct 2004
597 Posts
Go back to the post about what servo's I use and you will find for my MXC's I have always used JR 9411 for flaps (plenty strong). Greg got confused.

If you loose sight such as in the sun or too high I loop the MXC. This has happened many, many times and have never overstressed the plane.

You cannot do what is common with the SBXC by applying crow and putting the right stick in a bottom corner. The MXC will go into a sprial dive using this method.

This should be practiced at home before you need it.

Regards Dean
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:21 PM
NCSS / SVSS Flyer
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2005
141 Posts
visual recovery sequence

Thanks Dean, do you pull a pre-determined amount of up elevator to do a loop and wait for regained visuals or cycle the stick using the vario for confirmation?
SlopeRC is offline Find More Posts by SlopeRC
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:38 PM
Joined Oct 2004
597 Posts
I'm sure I pull the stick all the way back as I'm kinda in a panic mode. The key is to not wait too long. Usually goes like this-"I lost it, going to loop it" so the crew knows to be searching.
I don't do this when in a thermal turn and is not visible for just a moment. There is where faith works.
Used for sun and too high.

Regards Dean
Old Jul 05, 2011, 01:00 AM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN GRADWELL View Post
I'm sure I pull the stick all the way back as I'm kinda in a panic mode. The key is to not wait too long. Usually goes like this-"I lost it, going to loop it" so the crew knows to be searching.
I don't do this when in a thermal turn and is not visible for just a moment. There is where faith works.
Used for sun and too high.

Regards Dean
very good advice. VERY tough to put into practice in real world situations
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Oct 2004
597 Posts
There is nothing like a box to keep a glider from getting damaged.

I have made two types for the MXC.

This one is very similar to the SBXC box made in the past.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Oct 2004
597 Posts
My current favorite is made out of 1/8" plywood with 5/8" x 5/8" fir stringers and uprights.
It has a opening at the end and near the front on top.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 09:29 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,396 Posts
Very nice, Dean. Where are you getting the metal corner thingies?
yyz is online now Find More Posts by yyz
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:51 PM
Joined Oct 2004
597 Posts
Mike,
The corner protectors are from Ace Hardware.

Prior to going to Cal Valley I installed a different wing on my backup ship s/n #4. This wing had the servo cutouts as far back as possible. My thinking was to have the least amount of linkage exposed. The servo to be used would be JR378's. After getting a MKS servo in my hands I decided that should be the one. This plane and MKS servos were put to the test on day two and three at Cal Valley and worked well.
Recently I found out the servo is intolerant to higer voltages like the LIFE batteries I'm now using.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:08 PM
Joined Oct 2004
597 Posts
Day one at Cal Valley I displayed complete lack of airmanship. Overspeeding the glider to destruction.

At the time I just wanted to gather the parts throw them in the box and try to forget about it.

At home I began salvaging components and discovered what actually happened. What happened to my glider is what I believe has destroyed most if not all high altitude blowups.

The left wings servos (flap and aileron) and control horns were ripped free of the wing structure.
Flutter did it and it was the first thing that occured.

After the wing exploded it bent backwards breaking the fuselage in three pieces. The left stab was sheared off the aft fuselage section.
Regards Dean