Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:23 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Jake8131's Avatar
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,195 Posts
The more and more I look at your video (some one else check this), it looks like the motor plugs are in the wrong spot...the white/black plug should be plugged in on the outboard jack and the red/blue on the inside jack with the red and white wires to the outside of the 5n1.




Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:47 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
Ok so when it was in the frame it wasn't spinning and slipping? It just wasn't turning? My motor gear is turning but the big gear isn't because of slipping but there is also something wrong with the motor. It isn't clicking just screeching.
Sounds like you're describing the infamous screech of death the UM P-51 and Champ motors are known for when they die. Coincidentally, I just finished reading a super long ass post on how it can sometimes be fixed, but, to be honest, I'd rather just go buy a new motor than do what it involved.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:52 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
The heli was bought new in October and has had hardly any flight time but if the motors are renowned for not lasting long then I will get two.

I have emailed the vendor to see what they say.

Does this sound like the motors are all that is wrong? Should I still put photos/a vid up?
The motors on this bird are only renowned for not lasting long when running batteries back to back when also using the stock closed in full body tail (as opposed to the open CF Tail Boom).
I'm still on my original motors... coming up on a year now (admittedly haven't flown it much since the beginning of summer).
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:20 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
The more and more I look at your video (some one else check this), it looks like the motor plugs are in the wrong spot...the white/black plug should be plugged in on the outboard jack and the red/blue on the inside jack with the red and white wires to the outside of the 5n1.




Uploaded with ImageShack.us
There is every chance I plugged the motors in wrong but that was only after the problem reared it's ugly head. Thanks for the photo as now at least I will know how they are meant to go. I might plug them in as of the photo just to see if there is any difference

I still don't really understand why the big gear is not turning and just slipping when the motor pinion is turning when everything looks alligned. There does seem to be a little bit of warping on the gears.

I've got to send a bucket (literally) load of presents to my inlaws in AUstralia when I get home which may take a while and then I will take some photos/video. Let me know what would help the most. Cheers guys
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:04 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
The vendor got back to me and said it was almost defintely the motor and that a similar thing happened to him the other day on a demo. He thinks the glue probably went and the motor slipped onto the other gear. I am just going to order one motor as the other one has had hardly any wear
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:37 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,362 Posts
This problem of SR120Fan's is very mysterious. Jake, you made a good observation. After reviewing the video, I did see what you were saying. However, I don't think that it ultimately points to SR's issue. The wire connections looked reverse - but more importantly, the rotors are turning in the correct directions!!!

There are two possibilities: (1) SR has a different version board, and the connections are backwards. Or (2) more likely that SR has gotten the connection backwards and have reversed the polarity at the same time! In this case, two wrongs make one right.

What bugs me still is that every time I look at the video, I see that when the bottom rotors stop spinning, the top gear stop spinning AND the pinion of the left motor stop spinning! But SR has been saying that the "big gear is not turning and just slipping when the motor pinion is turning"??? First of all, that's not what I'm seeing in the video. Second of all, if the teeth between the pinion and gear is meshing, I don't know how that could happen. I'm still very confused here??!?!?

Nevertheless, I am believing that motor is binding. There is a part in the video where the bottom rotor was turning. And then it stopped. I'm focusing HOW it stopped. It didn't come to stop slowly, but rather abruptly. That means something is binding. But because there was a slight step or two before full stop, it is likely the motor.

So SR, two things: Please clarify for me if the pinion is turning while the big gear stops spinning. Am I seeing things? Or the video was just not clear enough. Secondly, if you were to follow Jake's advice and reconnect the motors, I suggest that you do it one at a time and double check the polarity and the direction of the rotors. I do believe that you need to replace both motors. Cheers.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:23 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
This problem of SR120Fan's is very mysterious. Jake, you made a good observation. After reviewing the video, I did see what you were saying. However, I don't think that it ultimately points to SR's issue. The wire connections looked reverse - but more importantly, the rotors are turning in the correct directions!!!

There are two possibilities: (1) SR has a different version board, and the connections are backwards. Or (2) more likely that SR has gotten the connection backwards and have reversed the polarity at the same time! In this case, two wrongs make one right.

What bugs me still is that every time I look at the video, I see that when the bottom rotors stop spinning, the top gear stop spinning AND the pinion of the left motor stop spinning! But SR has been saying that the "big gear is not turning and just slipping when the motor pinion is turning"??? First of all, that's not what I'm seeing in the video. Second of all, if the teeth between the pinion and gear is meshing, I don't know how that could happen. I'm still very confused here??!?!?

Nevertheless, I am believing that motor is binding. There is a part in the video where the bottom rotor was turning. And then it stopped. I'm focusing HOW it stopped. It didn't come to stop slowly, but rather abruptly. That means something is binding. But because there was a slight step or two before full stop, it is likely the motor.

So SR, two things: Please clarify for me if the pinion is turning while the big gear stops spinning. Am I seeing things? Or the video was just not clear enough. Secondly, if you were to follow Jake's advice and reconnect the motors, I suggest that you do it one at a time and double check the polarity and the direction of the rotors. I do believe that you need to replace both motors. Cheers.
When you say I have probably made two wrongs into a right that is exactly what has happened. The heli didn't come wired that way. The plugs became pulled out and Ive just used trial and error to get the blades going in the right direction.

I will double check now but I am almost 100% sure that the pinion IS turning whilst the big gear has stopped and when it catches the blade turns and when it is turning but slipping over the big gear it isn't, but all the time the motor is on, the pinion is spinning.

I will reconnect the wires as shown in the photo. I didn't think it would make a difference how they were wired as long as they spun in the right direction or am I missing something really stupidly obvious.

I think it is weird as well and originally thought it had to be an allignment issue.

Give me 30 mins and I will wire it up.
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:00 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
When you say I have probably made two wrongs into a right that is exactly what has happened. The heli didn't come wired that way. The plugs became pulled out and Ive just used trial and error to get the blades going in the right direction.

I will double check now but I am almost 100% sure that the pinion IS turning whilst the big gear has stopped and when it catches the blade turns and when it is turning but slipping over the big gear it isn't, but all the time the motor is on, the pinion is spinning.

I will reconnect the wires as shown in the photo. I didn't think it would make a difference how they were wired as long as they spun in the right direction or am I missing something really stupidly obvious.

I think it is weird as well and originally thought it had to be an allignment issue.

Give me 30 mins and I will wire it up.
Ignore that I have got it completely wrong lol. When the blade isnt spinning the pinion isnt spinning. I think it is just a clear cut motor failure. Sorry guys for messing you around. I wired it up as in the diagram.

So do I get two motors just to be on the safe side?
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:09 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,362 Posts
Alright, thanks, SR120Fan. I could now check myself out of the mental institution this afternoon.

Yup, I think a couple of people have already said that, get Both motors. It's like changing tires. Performance matching is the objective here.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:21 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Alright, thanks, SR120Fan. I could now check myself out of the mental institution this afternoon.

Yup, I think a couple of people have already said that, get Both motors. It's like changing tires. Performance matching is the objective here.
Sorry Heli Pad. I feel a bit stupid if that makes you feel better lol and I appreciate you guys spending the time decyphering a rather poor vid.

Hopefully this will be the last drama from me for at least a couple of weeks. I bet you are all glad I popped back to say hi
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:28 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,362 Posts
No worries. We love a challenge. The mental hospital knows me well. I'm a regular customer and I have in/out privileges.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:36 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
No worries. We love a challenge. The mental hospital knows me well. I'm a regular customer and I have in/out privileges.
hahaha
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:00 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Two motors ordered. Should be here by Wednesday.
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:54 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Jake8131's Avatar
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
This problem of SR120Fan's is very mysterious. Jake, you made a good observation. After reviewing the video, I did see what you were saying. However, I don't think that it ultimately points to SR's issue. The wire connections looked reverse - but more importantly, the rotors are turning in the correct directions!!!

There are two possibilities: (1) SR has a different version board, and the connections are backwards. Or (2) more likely that SR has gotten the connection backwards and have reversed the polarity at the same time! In this case, two wrongs make one right.

What bugs me still is that every time I look at the video, I see that when the bottom rotors stop spinning, the top gear stop spinning AND the pinion of the left motor stop spinning! But SR has been saying that the "big gear is not turning and just slipping when the motor pinion is turning"??? First of all, that's not what I'm seeing in the video. Second of all, if the teeth between the pinion and gear is meshing, I don't know how that could happen. I'm still very confused here??!?!?

Nevertheless, I am believing that motor is binding. There is a part in the video where the bottom rotor was turning. And then it stopped. I'm focusing HOW it stopped. It didn't come to stop slowly, but rather abruptly. That means something is binding. But because there was a slight step or two before full stop, it is likely the motor.

So SR, two things: Please clarify for me if the pinion is turning while the big gear stops spinning. Am I seeing things? Or the video was just not clear enough. Secondly, if you were to follow Jake's advice and reconnect the motors, I suggest that you do it one at a time and double check the polarity and the direction of the rotors. I do believe that you need to replace both motors. Cheers.
He has the motor not only on the wrong connectors, but they are backwards still allowing the motors to spin the correct way..
He needs, while the motors are on the way, is to correctly plug the motor wires in correctly...these motors do not perform very will going backwards...the brushes are in a certain angle...

SR120 Fan...connect the wires the way my pictures shows and tell us if there is any difference...PLEASE!
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:02 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
He has the motor not only on the wrong connectors, but they are backwards still allowing the motors to spin the correct way..
He needs, while the motors are on the way, is to correctly plug the motor wires in correctly...these motors do not perform very will going backwards...the brushes are in a certain angle...

SR120 Fan...connect the wires the way my pictures shows and tell us if there is any difference...PLEASE!
I have already done it in a previous post and there was the same result. It was handy having that photo to look at. The problem happened before the wiring incident as I unplugged them trying to fix it so it is now almost definitely a motor problem which is a shame as they have hardly been used.
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Eflite Blade MSR Plus 2.4ghz Eflite Transmitter soaringcam Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Apr 07, 2010 10:27 AM
Sold EFLITE BLADE MSR+BLADE 400+DX6i dhmojo Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 7 Mar 29, 2010 10:38 PM
Sold Blade MCX2 LNIB mgroves Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Mar 23, 2010 11:17 AM
For Sale Trade, eflite blades for eflite blades....Sell Blade CP Pro NIB with extras. kdill2160 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Sep 02, 2006 09:28 AM
Alert Eflite Blade CX - 2nd Eflite heli jschenck Coaxial Helicopters 26 Oct 24, 2005 01:48 AM