HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:57 AM
I'm all for global warming
Yokosuka, Japan
Joined Nov 2009
191 Posts
Discussion
Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 CG

So far, I am doing ok with both of my 260s (yellow&red ). Where are you guys putting the battery for good CG? I am not looking for a 3D CG right now. Just agressive sport flying. I need some recommendations please.

I noticed that when I fly now, the plane likes to bob up and down. Maybe more EXPO? Right now, I am at 40% for low rates, and 55% for 3D. Thanks.
SEAL is offline Find More Posts by SEAL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2010, 06:06 AM
Darling Downs Qld Australia
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAL View Post
So far, I am doing ok with both of my 260s (yellow&red ). Where are you guys putting the battery for good CG? I am not looking for a 3D CG right now. Just agressive sport flying. I need some recommendations please.

I noticed that when I fly now, the plane likes to bob up and down. Maybe more EXPO? Right now, I am at 40% for low rates, and 55% for 3D. Thanks.

Have a look or ask in the PA Extra 260 thread, its quite large you should find something.

For my COG i did what hercdriver7777 suggested, when inverted the the plane should lose height very slowly or very little input is needed to make it fly level, not sure if that suits sport flying, but thats all i have done for the past year and it works great for me no matter what type of flying i do with it.

Nic
MR-STI is online now Find More Posts by MR-STI
Old Jan 08, 2010, 02:47 PM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
Yes, bobbing up and down does not sound normal and doesn't have anything to do with expo.

It sounds like a CG issue. My 260 would pop up etc. even had some coupling issues until I got the CG worked out. I put the CG at the recommended 3D CG setting. It is a very narrow range (I marked it in magic market under my wings) I think it was like a 1/4 inch range. If I was outside that range, I had a less than ideal experience but still flyable. Inside that range and the plane does not have any coupling or bobbing up and down issues.

-Mike
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Old Jan 08, 2010, 03:04 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
+ make sure your elevator servo and linkage are free with no binding and no centering issues.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 08, 2010, 03:52 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:

First I need to know where your rudder servo is. Second I need to know more about your setup.

Generally with the servo forward you will need to slide the battery most of the way back. With the servo in the rear, centered on the tray.

More importantly than that is what it does in the air. When you trim it to fly straight and level with the power on. What does it do inverted with the same power setting? When you slow it down from the the same trimmed state what happens?
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Jan 08, 2010, 03:52 PM
Yokosuka, Japan
Joined Nov 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-STI View Post
Have a look or ask in the PA Extra 260 thread, its quite large you should find something.

For my COG i did what hercdriver7777 suggested, when inverted the the plane should lose height very slowly or very little input is needed to make it fly level, not sure if that suits sport flying, but thats all i have done for the past year and it works great for me no matter what type of flying i do with it.

Nic
Thanks. I will check it out. I am using a Zippy flightmax 3S 2200 25C. I need to fing a COG that works, and mark the battery tray with a permanent marker so I can get it right every time.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 03:54 PM
Yokosuka, Japan
Joined Nov 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
+ make sure your elevator servo and linkage are free with no binding and no centering issues.
O.k... I will double check the linkage. I am willing to try anything.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 03:57 PM
Yokosuka, Japan
Joined Nov 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
First I need to know where your rudder servo is. Second I need to know more about your setup.

Generally with the servo forward you will need to slide the battery most of the way back. With the servo in the rear, centered on the tray.

More importantly than that is what it does in the air. When you trim it to fly straight and level with the power on. What does it do inverted with the same power setting? When you slow it down from the the same trimmed state what happens?
Thanks man... My setup is as follows:

-PULL PULL
-HiTec 65MGs
-THRUST 30
-APC 13x6.5
-60A E-FLITE ESC
-ZIPPY FLIGHTMAX 3S 2200 25C

I never got it inverted because it didn't feel stable in normal flight. The Japan winds started kicking up before I could do some experimenting with the COG. I will try it out today, and see what it does inverted.

Thanks
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:04 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
I know all about those winds. Used to fly at Yokota from 03-06. My guess is with that ESC you are probably nose heavy so it shouldn't feel too unstable for CG reasons. Double check all the linkages and surfaces for binding or excessive slop. I would also recommend setting the throws and expo per the manual for the first flights. Its a good starting point.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:30 PM
Yokosuka, Japan
Joined Nov 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
I know all about those winds. Used to fly at Yokota from 03-06. My guess is with that ESC you are probably nose heavy so it shouldn't feel too unstable for CG reasons. Double check all the linkages and surfaces for binding or excessive slop. I would also recommend setting the throws and expo per the manual for the first flights. Its a good starting point.
Thanks Herc, I will try it out. I fly/work at Yokosuka Naval base. It's exciting because half of our flying area is OVER THE OCEAN! That makes it fun though. Where did you fly when you were at Yokota AFB? I'm 1 and a half hrs. away from Yokota. I am always looking for somewhere else to fly. As you know, metropolitan Japan has a VERY limited choice of places to fly.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:55 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Yep, Been to Yokosuka many times. Never knew anyone flew there!

Yokota has a club on base that flies off of one of the taxi ways. There are also a couple of ball fields that are park flyer friendly too.

When I left in 06 there was a permanent GS civilian who was running the club named Bruce Harkness.

The use of the taxiway for RC flying is actually written into the base operations manual so I would say to call base operations and talk to the airfield manager to figure out who is running the club now.

There were also a couple of Japanese clubs around there that were ok but not nearly as much room as on base.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 05:18 PM
Yokosuka, Japan
Joined Nov 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
Yep, Been to Yokosuka many times. Never knew anyone flew there!

Yokota has a club on base that flies off of one of the taxi ways. There are also a couple of ball fields that are park flyer friendly too.

When I left in 06 there was a permanent GS civilian who was running the club named Bruce Harkness.

The use of the taxiway for RC flying is actually written into the base operations manual so I would say to call base operations and talk to the airfield manager to figure out who is running the club now.

There were also a couple of Japanese clubs around there that were ok but not nearly as much room as on base.
Thanks for the info! I will see if I can get a hold of someone up there at Yokota. Cheers!
Old Jan 09, 2010, 05:58 PM
Yokosuka, Japan
Joined Nov 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Herc, I will try it out. I fly/work at Yokosuka Naval base. It's exciting because half of our flying area is OVER THE OCEAN! That makes it fun though. Where did you fly when you were at Yokota AFB? I'm 1 and a half hrs. away from Yokota. I am always looking for somewhere else to fly. As you know, metropolitan Japan has a VERY limited choice of places to fly.
Thanks all I got the CG figured out. I moved to 60% expo on low rates, and 70% on high rates also. That helped. She is up and flying great!
Old Jan 09, 2010, 06:50 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Glad to hear it! Let me know if you ever get in contact with anyone down in Yokota!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:16 AM
Yokosuka, Japan
Joined Nov 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
Glad to hear it! Let me know if you ever get in contact with anyone down in Yokota!

No prob. I will let you know. I will be going shopping up there next saturday. I will ask around.