HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by basicguy
Dream it...Build it...Fly it!
United States, MO, Macon County
Joined Dec 2014
1,021 Posts
My homebuilt flying wings are single layer of foam....yank and bank well. They don't have a full length vertical stabilizer/rudder though. I think it is the long tall fuselage that makes it more challenging to turn via that method.

I have read and believe, that the single layer wing at low α forces air to arc over the top reducing the air pressure creating a virtual airfoil. Something like this drawing:
basicguy is online now Find More Posts by basicguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2015, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by tallflyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,506 Posts
Basic it has more to do with 3d planes have 0 wing dihedral. The meaning is you bank a flat wing the pressure under the lower wing stays the same. 3d foam planes should in theory when you drop a wing keep moving in a straight line. You need the rudder to create the 3d movement. That is why rudder is over sized in the first place. A warbird type of plane bank and yank can be used .... but a 3d plane you really need to master the rudder.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Official 3DR Solo Blog
Old Jan 02, 2016, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by Dingxuan
Joined Jan 2016
1 Posts
Servo placements

Hi new to this group! Can someone pls give me the location of where I should cut in the fuselage to place the servos for this plane ? Also, what's the size of the control rods u guys used? Appreciate your help !!
Dingxuan is offline Find More Posts by Dingxuan
Old Jan 03, 2016, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by MartinT
Joined Mar 2006
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingxuan View Post
Hi new to this group! Can someone pls give me the location of where I should cut in the fuselage to place the servos for this plane ? Also, what's the size of the control rods u guys used? Appreciate your help !!
They are "somewhere" under the wing...

Not an exact answer is it, but here's what you do: you tape all the stuff on the side of the plane (servos, rx, Lipo) with painterstape and move it around until you get a satisfying CG location.
Then mark the position of the stuff on the foam, remove everything and make the cutouts for the servos and RX. (personally I leave the Lipo stuck to the side of the fuse (but with velcro, not painters tape...) but you could make a cutout for it as well, just what you prefer) For control rods you can use anything like from BBQ skewers to 3mm hollow carbon. (or thinner if it's not hollow 1.5 or 2 mm is good)
If the distance the rod has to cover becomes so big that the rod starts to bend under load, you do not have to go thicker at all, if you just make a guide (on the fuselage) made from a servo control horn or cut from a piece of plastic creditcard/hotelroomcard or a contol horn used for the elevator/ailerons you're good.
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Jan 03, 2016, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by Wicher Donga
Joined Oct 2015
25 Posts
sorry but I think that this plane deserves the name super slow. Imo it has a normal speed for this type of plane. There are other indoor / outdoor epp planes which are much slower like the one in this video
birds-eye-view SLOW CUB 1100 IN THE MIST (9 min 50 sec)
Wicher Donga is offline Find More Posts by Wicher Donga
Last edited by Wicher Donga; Jan 03, 2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2016, 08:24 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,506 Posts
Wicher, Thread jumping is not a cool way to say hello
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2016, 08:29 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,506 Posts
Superslo28 Hucking around a small area with trees (4 min 23 sec)

This is why it's called the Superslo28
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2016, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by Squall
United States, OH, Ravenna
Joined Nov 2012
642 Posts
Doing what the Superslo28 does best!!

Had some DTF and decided to make a Superslo 30 and Superslo 20. Will probably put a 1700 kv "Blue Wonder" on one and maybe a 2211 1700 kv motor on the other. The pic is deceiving, but the one in front is 20" WS and the one in back is 30" WS.

Both should be pretty light and a lot of fun. Of course it's 23 degrees and snowing here.

Had my EPP P51 at an indoor fly in last night. This plane is amazing

I'd fly in the main area with the circle fliers for a while, but flying inverted or on a knife edge and the fly over to the 3D area and hover and harrier around for a while and back to the circle fliers.

Everytime I fly one of these planes (http://www.sdparkflyers.com/free.html) I get a lot of questions from people and point them to the SDParkflier website
Squall is online now Find More Posts by Squall
Old Jan 04, 2016, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by Wicher Donga
Joined Oct 2015
25 Posts
He guys, sorry but prop hanging has nothing to do with a slow flying plane. The slowest flying planes I know all have a cambered wing or at least a very low wing load. when i take a look at the first videos from page 1 this plane flies with a normal indoor speed comparable to other similar concept planes. I still like your concept I only think that the name is properly not the right one for this plane. For me slow flying planes are stol planes like the one in the video or even slower like the Japanese indoor planes build out of balsa and mylar film.
But oke a name is a name I was just hoping to find other similar slow flyers as my slow cub.
Wicher Donga is offline Find More Posts by Wicher Donga
Old Jan 05, 2016, 01:43 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,506 Posts
Wicher

My plane is a 3D plane your cub is not! I can fly my plane slow or fast (I know hanging on the prop) has nothing to do with how slow it can fly but being able to fly in a small area and going slow is what the Superslo28 was designed to do.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2016, 03:27 AM
Find More Posts by jbarchuk
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicher Donga View Post
He guys, sorry but prop hanging has nothing to do with a slow flying plane.
Yeah I know what you mean, that the normal 'speed' of a plane should generally be interpreted straight and level. Heck with enough thrust/weight ratio any plane can hang on the prop but that doesn't make it a slow flyer.

One way to slow flight down is add incidence. A little more thrust will be required to maintain the same speed, so for the same prop/RPM it will fly slower. Plus down reflex on the silerons so it doesn't purely pitch up. Check out the Vapor style ultralights with huge incidence plus corresponding motor downthrust.

Flight can be slowed artificially by increasing frontal area. Add tabs to the sides of the fuse the make it feel 'thicker' to the air it passes through.

Add turbulators to the wing. There's lots of info about that in RCG. Here's one for example: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1984518 which gets really juicy in post #4. Basically anything that makes the wing feel thicker to the air will slow it down. With that comes a little instability so also look at vortex generators.

A lot could be added to this plane to slow it down while KEEPING the aerobatic capabilities of the Extra style wing.

BTW the truest slowest indoor slow flyers aren't balsa/mylar they're CF/mylar for example http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158259
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk