HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jan 24, 2016, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by Hoverin
3D apprentice
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
501 Posts
Hit the post button instead of go advanced on last post. It was setup with separate Ni-Mh RX pack but as I like light as possible I went BEC of main pack and also ditched the switch.....
Hoverin is offline Find More Posts by Hoverin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2016, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by SLK Count
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
1,060 Posts
Fellows, concerning the lipo 6+ postings -where is the benefit with over 6S ?
My Beast with 6S and Scorpion 4025-440kv and xoar 18x10 pulls like hell- full overpowered. Don't want more cells-for what ?
SLK Count is online now Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Jan 31, 2016, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by camoy
I can't fly
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2006
3,924 Posts
you will run at a lower current with higher cell counts, if setup correctly you may see an increase in flight times with a higher cell count setup. Power will also be improved, remember what you consider a powerful pull out others may not. Especially those that are used to coming from 8S+ setups.
camoy is offline Find More Posts by camoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2016, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
United States, MA, Scituate
Joined Apr 2007
571 Posts
Very strange to get a bunch of Beast flights in today, and not have any issues with being cold. Didn't expect that. What a bonus! The only downside was the pits being ankle deep mud.
gobigdave is online now Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old Feb 08, 2016, 12:45 PM
Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;33279151
quick question do you have the Biper Vipe?
Hey Flazo! I have the Vyper Bipe and I see there is a Beast for sale locally. I also have the Reactor Bipe. The Vyper is pretty much like the Reactor on Steroids. A little more twitchy and a lot faster to react to inputs especially the Ailerons. How does the Beast compare to them? I really am a sucker for Biplanes but am seriously overstocked on airplanes as well. They are asking 500 for it with the power 60 not sure what ESC and Hitec 225s. What do you think? Anything I should look closely at?
Mr Big Head is offline Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Feb 08, 2016, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by camoy
I can't fly
Joined Dec 2006
3,924 Posts
Too much for those servos. It will not fly very good either with those servos

Compared to the vyper bype the beast is harder to 3D. Good roll rates, and flies nice straight lines. Just not the 3D monster a lot believe the plane to be like the 100cc beast is.

I love mine, but honestly part of that love is due to really not many other biplanes in this size.

If you can, buy just the airframe esc and motor as you will need better servos for sure. If it is in good condition i would shoot for the price of the arf kit new with the motor and esc. He can keep the servos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2016, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by Flazo
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,238 Posts
Viper Bipe - Reactor Bipe and Beast Bipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
Hey Flazo! I have the Vyper Bipe and I see there is a Beast for sale locally. I also have the Reactor Bipe. The Vyper is pretty much like the Reactor on Steroids. A little more twitchy and a lot faster to react to inputs especially the Ailerons. How does the Beast compare to them? I really am a sucker for Biplanes but am seriously overstocked on airplanes as well. They are asking 500 for it with the power 60 not sure what ESC and Hitec 225s. What do you think? Anything I should look closely at?
The Beast is not a 3D Monster, I been doing a lot cg configurations and I have sweet spot on the cg. Anyway, the Beast is just a beautiful plane but the Viper Bipe is much better, you ask why?
you don't really have put it together to fly it. Just take it out of the trunk and you are ready to fly
One last issue with the BEAST is attaching the wings and using the mm screws aggg

I'm getting better at not loosing those metal screws!
Fred

PS like you I love Bipes and I don't mind the extra work to get it to fly anymore!
Flazo is online now Find More Posts by Flazo
Last edited by Flazo; Feb 08, 2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by voxel
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flazo View Post
One last issue with the BEAST is attaching the wings and using the mm screws aggg

I'm getting better at not loosing those metal screws!
Fred
Bring a bunch of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch...net-37187.html

Made my life much easier as just touching the screw also magnetizes it and the nut. I totally agree putting the Beast together at the field is a pain - which is why I only fly it on the weekends.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 08, 2016, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
United States, MA, Scituate
Joined Apr 2007
571 Posts
I never had much luck with trying to magnetize the screws. They still kept falling off.

I handle the screws for the top wings by putting a small piece of fuel tubing on the shaft of the allen head driver. When I'm putting the screws in, I slide the tube down the shaft over the head of the screw. That holds it in place while I get the screw started. Once started, I slide the tubing down off the screw head and tighten. It only takes me an extra few seconds to get the tubing over the head.
gobigdave is online now Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old Feb 08, 2016, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
625 Posts
My trick, similar to Dave's was to put a 5 - 6mm length of fuel tubing on the head of the bolt. It is hard to get on and never comes off. Then you put the bolt on the hex driver and the fuel tubing holds it in place no matter what. Then once you have tightened it in you pull the hex driver out of the tubing which stays on the bolt. After some testing I found that having about 3 mm of tubing above the top of the bolt was the ideal. Never came close to losing one.

BTW I have sourced another bipe to replace my smashed Beast. I grabbed a Hyperion Samson II. It is the same size as the Beast, so I can just transfer all my gear across. It is even red and black like the beast. It's an old but beautifully made plane, no longer in production and was half the price of the Beast. However (not surprisingly) I don't think I'll put in the same AR636 that caused the demise of my Beast.

Cheers,

Phil
Flying Fiz is offline Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Old Feb 08, 2016, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by ZAGI CRAZEE
United States, MN, Maplewood
Joined Jul 2003
258 Posts
I have 225's in my beast ,it does just fine i am not doing any radical 3d stuff sport flight and acrobatics no problems so far also w/ power 60 and yep 100 esc..........Z
ZAGI CRAZEE is offline Find More Posts by ZAGI CRAZEE
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by camoy
I can't fly
Joined Dec 2006
3,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGI CRAZEE View Post
I have 225's in my beast ,it does just fine i am not doing any radical 3d stuff sport flight and acrobatics no problems so far also w/ power 60 and yep 100 esc..........Z
To each his own, I think he will fly it more towards the 3D stuff though as I know some of the planes he has.
RCG Plus Member