Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by ParkJeff
Birds do it, bees do it
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2003
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliant View Post
Not addressed to me I know but for info I am using older HS5985 servos on ailerons. They are a bit heavy and over specced for the purpose but fit and work fine. If I replaced them I would probably go for HV 7245s there as well but that would of course require some infilling to make up the gaps.
Julian,

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking that the 7245 would be too tall but if the 5985 had no issues then the 7245 should be ok too. I'll probably get those for both ailerons and elevators.

Jeff
ParkJeff is offline Find More Posts by ParkJeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by nosram
Houston, Tx
Joined Sep 2003
260 Posts
After not being very impressed with the paint adhesion on the canopy I was very pleased to be offered a replacement canopy at a reduced price.
Very good of Extreme Flight. I have been further impressed with their Rewards Program!!

Check out this link, I have been very privileged to receive $350 off my purchase: http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/rewards.html
nosram is offline Find More Posts by nosram
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by pappy35
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Apr 2007
210 Posts
Does anyone know offhand what size servo arms are needed? I need to get an order in for parts for my Vanquish but the info isn't in the manuals and I can't get to it to measure it myself. Thanks.
pappy35 is offline Find More Posts by pappy35
Old Mar 03, 2016, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by BluIIs
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
703 Posts
I picked up a gently used Vanquish this week. I am wondering if anyone has a CG position to recommend for my maiden flight? A little guidance on control throws would be useful as well.
I will be competing in Intermediate class.
BluIIs is offline Find More Posts by BluIIs
Old Mar 04, 2016, 04:53 PM
Houston, Tx
Joined Sep 2003
260 Posts
I would start off with the balance on the front edge of the carbon tube.
Throws, somewhere between +/-10 - 12 degrees on elevator and ailerons, with more on the rudder.
Old Mar 04, 2016, 11:39 PM
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
703 Posts
Thanks for your reply, nosram. So you like the recommended low rates. I've set up my DX8 (three level DR/Expo) at recommended high, recommended low, and half the recommended low rates for trial. The fellow I bought it from was flying n less throw than the recommended low rate throws.
Old Mar 06, 2016, 12:53 PM
Houston, Tx
Joined Sep 2003
260 Posts
For Intermediate I set the max aileron to give me the desired roll rate when going vertical. For elevator I reduced it so that I was using max elevator for landing. Rudder is a bit more difficult because you have a stall turn, but the rest of the time you need subtle amounts of rudder... I did this with high expo (50%). I set the rudder to about +/-25 throw.

Hope that helps?
Nick Marson
Old Mar 30, 2016, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by 32Ford
Jim Robertson
Claremore, Oklahoma
Joined Nov 2005
572 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on one. Doubt it will ever see a contest though. I just really like it's clean lines and classic looks. Having it delivered at the Toledo show where a buddy of mine who went will be picking it up for me. Saved me $147 freight fee that way.

Jim
32Ford is offline Find More Posts by 32Ford
Old Mar 30, 2016, 09:54 PM
Joined Apr 2007
210 Posts
Cool. I have one I bought used from a friend and just today ordered the 48" version so it will have a younger playmate.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by 32Ford
Jim Robertson
Claremore, Oklahoma
Joined Nov 2005
572 Posts
LOL....me too!

Jim
32Ford is offline Find More Posts by 32Ford
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by kc8qpu
United States, SC, Moore
Joined May 2007
73 Posts
I am suppose to meet with a guy down here at Nall that is selling me a used one. May can't get here soon enough.
kc8qpu is offline Find More Posts by kc8qpu
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:27 AM
Joined Apr 2007
210 Posts
Deleted...should have searched first....
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:35 AM
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
703 Posts
A Question of Balance

I bought my gently used Vanquish 2M last month. Saved enough to pay for batteries. Unfortunately, one of eight Zippy 5S-5000mAh batteries was delivered as a 4S! Sometimes you get what you pay for.
After setting up my Tx, I find the recommended high-rate throws to be way excessive; the recommended low rates are more than enough.
Then came COG; no recommendation in the assembly manual! Most airplanes fly okay within 25-33% of mean aerodynamic cord (MAC). So I found a NASA MAC calculator online and entered wing dimensions. That yielded something like 6.15 to 7.51" aft of leading edge at the root for 25-35% MAC.
Now, I hate flipping larger airplanes up-right/top-down for balancing on my Great Planes CG Machine. Besides, it is a little too short for a Vanquish. So I designed a hanging yoke that pins off the wing index pins and has holes indexed at the 25, 30, and 35% balance points. That allowed suspending the plane up-right from the ceiling. The spirit level confirmed the plane was true at the range points. Turns out that a 1/2" relocation of my battery packs equals 1% MAC shift in COG. Guess who marked a %MAC scale on his battery tray.
Maiden (for me) last Monday went well. First flight at 28%, and second flight at 29.5% were a little nose heavy. I will work that back further looking for near-neutral balance. Lots of power with the "Silver Bullet" motor and 21*14" prop. Now to practice the Intermediate sequence!
Last edited by BluIIs; Apr 01, 2016 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Battery brand correction.
Old Apr 06, 2016, 08:14 AM
Find More Posts by mgosson
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Jun 2008
47 Posts
Motor & Battery Option

After reading most every message I could locate on the internet I'm still in a quandary for a suitable alternate motor. I have to admit I am a hacker fan, it appears the Q60 is a viable option but it's simply too much cabbage. At $470 it's not a reasonable fee for the type of flying I plan on doing.

Does anyone have an experience with the A60 series and specifically which model?

Lastly, what's the preferred battery set-up?. Are the majority using a single 6S, (2) 4S or (2) 5 S batteries?
mgosson is online now Find More Posts by mgosson
Old Apr 06, 2016, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by Da Big_G
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgosson View Post
After reading most every message I could locate on the internet I'm still in a quandary for a suitable alternate motor. I have to admit I am a hacker fan, it appears the Q60 is a viable option but it's simply too much cabbage. At $470 it's not a reasonable fee for the type of flying I plan on doing.

Does anyone have an experience with the A60 series and specifically which model?

Lastly, what's the preferred battery set-up?. Are the majority using a single 6S, (2) 4S or (2) 5 S batteries?
I had this and was happy with it...can be found for about $275. http://www.espritmodel.com/hacker-a6...-motor-v2.aspx
Also for the same $$ HiMax 6330-210 pro. All 2 meter planes use 10S.. (5s x2).
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G