Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:37 AM
RC ADDICT
United States, MN, Plymouth
Joined Sep 2005
106 Posts
Discussion
Harpy or Razor 3 Footy build?

Hey all, quick question on two different styles of footy's. My 8 year old son has been sailing my Victoria quite successfully. We now fight over the controls...

I would like to build 2 boats of the same type so we can play around at the local pond. Typically, there is not much wind at the local pond due to the surrounding infrastructure. Is there much of a difference in the performance of the Una rig on the Razor 3 or the traditional rig on the Harpy?

I like the idea and simplicity of having several rigs to swap out in the Razor, but I don't know if it really makes that much of a difference at this scale.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Chris
gonracn is offline Find More Posts by gonracn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:43 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
871 Posts
The Una rig (McCormack) is tailor made for a beginner and 8 year old. Very easy and cheap to make and set up and trim and because it is just a plastic bag, you can make several sizes for all winds and with no stays change rigs in seconds. It has a measure of excess load dumping with twist in the wire sub mast, that allows carrying a higher than conventional rig area.
A mast of 600-700mm and area over 1000sqcm will suit for a lighter wind.

I have designed a beginner Footy very suitable for an 8 year old as it is strong, will not sink and avoids the difficulty of building and finishing a light, fragile balsa hull. It includes instructions for state of the art Una Rig, Stollery sail Power Lever and Whipstaff steering here.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail