HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:00 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
153 Posts
Discussion
Please recommend classic pattern plane builders

Can anyone recommend a good reliable builder for classic pattern planes? I have a few I want to build but can never come around to it. At the rate I build it may be the end of the decade before I finish another one.

I'm thinking to have someone build my Atlanta 60. I have all the equipment ready to install and really looking forward to flying it. Because the kits are rather rare, the builder has to be reputable/reliable so that the job will get finished (I'll hopefully see my plane again!)

I'm in Northern California, someone in the region would be even better.

Any recommendations? Or anyone willing? Please drop me a PM
Huang is offline Find More Posts by Huang
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:23 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
322 Posts
I believe you'll have to find somebody that just loves to build. The time it takes to build, finish, rig out and install electronics is quite large. Even if someone was working for $5 an hour the cost to build a classic pattern plane would be astronomical. I estimate 100 hours in a normal classic pattern style plane from start to finish.

I hope you can find somebody to build it for you at a reasonable cost, I know I'd have to charge $500 to build one. I'm fairly sure I have 40 hours in my Tiger Tail wing, but it has retracts and the wood was milled from planks and each part was hand cut.

Good luck, hope you get one in the air.

Rick
shootnstarz is offline Find More Posts by shootnstarz
Old Dec 23, 2013, 01:29 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,834 Posts
Matt,

Dave Guerin is a professional builder and most certainly knows how to put a classic together. How much he charges I don't know.

David
doxilia is online now Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Dec 23, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Matt,

Dave Guerin is a professional builder and most certainly knows how to put a classic together. How much he charges I don't know.

David
David is right, I've seen Guerin built classics and they are first class, top notch! Berusty would know if Dave was available or still doing builds, but I think Berusty has been pretty busy himself too. I would think there is someone (Kevin maybe?) that would or knows a would be builder out west there somewhere. Just don't send it to certain individual in Indiana . I would also expect to pay a fair amount in labor for a complete and ready to maiden ship too.
Mark
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:35 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
558 Posts
Don't use the other guy that Rusty ( and I) used. Mark something. He is a thief.

David
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:25 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
153 Posts
Rick,

Knowing the time involved I would absolutely pay someone $500, as long as the builder is experienced in pattern planes. I have the original Zigsaw Atlanta which is pretty much ARC -- the wings and tails are all pre-sheeted, LE, TE and wingtips shaped and sanded, wheel wells pre-installed with retract beams mounted for drop in fit on MK SPs. The fuse formers are all pre-installed, as are the firewall and engine rails. The belly pan is already pre-cut for the YS-60FR and MK nose retracts - so most of the framing is done and I have all the right vintage MK/Tettra/YS/Hatori equipment to load. A lot of work will be in painting/covering.

There are a few local flyers that build for hire, but most are old timers that tend to build heavy - you know with gobs of epoxy/glass everywhere to "reinforce" the build. Given we'll likely fly a few hundred flights I'd certainly appreciate some reinforcement in strategic areas with a bit of carbon or such, but the builder need to have a light touch because we are building competition pattern planes here not trainers. The mindset is just different If you've seen pro pattern build you know what I mean...
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:36 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
153 Posts
Doxilia / David,

I think Dave Guerin is still building, at least he was still building for Rusty not too long ago. I'll give him a ping but we might have another option out west.
Shipping these planes are quite costly too as the wing is one piece and stab is not removable.

dhal22 / David,

I was thinking of exactly Mark when I posted. These vintage models are too rare to acquire. To take it and then disappear is just horrible. If something happened in life that prevent from finishing the build, at least send the model back.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 09:04 AM
Joined Sep 2009
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huang View Post
Doxilia / David,

I think Dave Guerin is still building, at least he was still building for Rusty not too long ago. I'll give him a ping but we might have another option out west.
Shipping these planes are quite costly too as the wing is one piece and stab is not removable.

dhal22 / David,

I was thinking of exactly Mark when I posted. These vintage models are too rare to acquire. To take it and then disappear is just horrible. If something happened in life that prevent from finishing the build, at least send the model back.
Yep, that is whom I was referring too. I take it you never got your plane or money back David (dhal22). If you PM me info I can always keep an eye open for any info on the $cumbag.

Huang, if you can contact Rusty and get D. Guerin to build it, you will be absolutely satisfied with it. I haven't chatted or seen much online activity from Rusty since a swap meet last winter.
Mark
Old Dec 24, 2013, 09:23 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,834 Posts
Matt,

I recently acquired Shawn's wonderful scratch built Dalotel. He had already installed the stab and this doubled or tripled the cost of shipping as the post office wouldn't take a box that size. The simple solution was to saw off the stab halves and convert the stab into a plugin unit. Shawn cut it about a 1/4" from the fuse sides so they can be capped and filleted (not like a fish though...) The boring of the stub stab will be pretty straight forward. What will be a little trickier will be the stabs themselves but I'll do it with a jig off the model. The wings were designed as plugin from the outset so that worked out well. The shipping ended up costing a reasonable ~$80 for the two boxes via USPS.

If I were to have a model built, I'd likely have it done with a plugin stab from the start. Wings too if possible. If the wing is to be single piece, I'd have it covered in a scheme that would include a center piece allowing the wing to be shipped covered but can be joined at your end, glassed and then have the final center piece added.

Rusty had several planes built and/or finished in this fashion. Some had surfaces built and gear setup but were unfinished (ARC's) do to speak. He'd then sometimes have a local painter do the finishing on the fuse and he'd to the surface covering.

David
Old Dec 24, 2013, 09:53 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hook57 View Post
I haven't chatted or seen much online activity from Rusty since a swap meet last winter.
Mark
Mark,

Rusty seems to have dropped all classic forum activity. He also parted ways with much of his equipment and classics. I got the feeling he was stitching directions in the hobby or taking a leave of absence. Last winter a tried to purchase an engine he was selling but it wasn't happening - he put me off too many times and I gave up.

Say, did you get paint on your TT3?

David
Old Dec 24, 2013, 04:13 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Mark,

Rusty seems to have dropped all classic forum activity. He also parted ways with much of his equipment and classics. I got the feeling he was stitching directions in the hobby or taking a leave of absence. Last winter a tried to purchase an engine he was selling but it wasn't happening - he put me off too many times and I gave up.

David
I am not surprized.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13879229660757

TF
Taurus Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Old Dec 24, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined Sep 2009
560 Posts
Quote:
Mark,

David
Yep, I know he had gotten pretty busy with his boys, sports and such, and work also.
No paint on the TT3 yet David, my plan is to paint it in the spring; she'll be Rossi powered with Rhoms to swing the gear.
Merry Christmas.
Mark
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:44 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
558 Posts
My building and flying are greatly dampened by the joys of raising my boys and being a small business owner. Rusty and I may have similar situations. I miss his classic pattern enthusiasm though.

I would rather it be him that makes a unexpected visit here.......................

David
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old Dec 25, 2013, 02:51 AM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
My building and flying are greatly dampened by the joys of raising my boys and being a small business owner. Rusty and I may have similar situations. I miss his classic pattern enthusiasm though.

I would rather it be him that makes a unexpected visit here.......................

David
Yes we know David, we are still waiting for the first flight!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...24&postcount=4
When do you finish your first "classic"?

Taurus Flyer
Taurus Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Old Dec 25, 2013, 08:01 AM
Joined Sep 2009
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post

David
I hear you on that David. Though my two boys are young men now (one a Dad himself), they still require some attention !

Ditto on your second comment too. Although, I suppose we can't become too upset over those that can't help the fact that they repeatedly wet and crap all over themselves. A shame they don't recognize their own various incontinence.
(Comment is general and not directed at any specific person, group, groups, or societies; less I be pointed again )

Mark