HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2013, 04:53 PM
Joined Oct 2013
4 Posts
Discussion
Brand New to Flying

Hello All,

I always wanted to fly planes but never had the time and at one time it was expensive. So I thought I would start it up. At this time I am practicing on real flight simulator and I have learned alot from that. I probably won't start actually flying until early spring. I want to start saving money for the radio and plane. I want to get the dx6i, and the Bixler 2. My question is, when ordering where does everyone go to buy there parts and planes. I have been looking at different websites. I think Hobby king looks good. I would like your input. I thought it would be esaier on me to go electric for starters and then go to gas down the line. How long can you stay in the air on a battery ? What battery brand is a good one to buy ? I did read alittle on hoe dangerous the lipo's are, is there a different battery to use ? Like to know all input people have.

James
Sirhavoc is offline Find More Posts by Sirhavoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2013, 05:04 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,104 Posts
where does everyone go to buy there parts and planes - LHS, bought at HK before. now i buy at HeadsupRC, Amazon, LHS.
How long can you stay in the air on a battery ? - depends on your setup
What battery brand is a good one to buy ? - i like geforce and the HeadsupRC brand
I did read alittle on hoe dangerous the lipo's are, is there a different battery to use ? - i only use lipos, maybe someone else can answer this one
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 06, 2013, 05:07 PM
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined May 2013
239 Posts
If you order from hobby king make sure it is from the USA warehouse or you can wait forever to get orders.
I use the DX6I and love it.
If you ask what plane to get you will get many answers.......research and ask questions then make your choice.
And welcome to the addiction
AZdigger is offline Find More Posts by AZdigger
Old Oct 06, 2013, 06:00 PM
What Goes Up Must Come Down
United States, NJ
Joined Jan 2013
500 Posts
I also like the dx6i. I started flying the Ember 2 & the Champ....both will bind to the 6i right out of the box and are easy meaning slow stable flying planes that IMHO are the best to learn on before moving up to more sophisticated (faster) planes. The only down side is the Ember must be flown in a no wind condition while the Champ can fly in modest wind conditions.

I purchase my planes & equipment from Hobby Zone, Horizon Hobby and Hobby King.
PRNDL is offline Find More Posts by PRNDL
Old Oct 06, 2013, 08:17 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirhavoc View Post
Hello All,

I always wanted to fly planes but never had the time and at one time it was expensive. So I thought I would start it up. At this time I am practicing on real flight simulator and I have learned alot from that. I probably won't start actually flying until early spring. I want to start saving money for the radio and plane. I want to get the dx6i, and the Bixler 2. My question is, when ordering where does everyone go to buy there parts and planes. I have been looking at different websites. I think Hobby king looks good. I would like your input. I thought it would be esaier on me to go electric for starters and then go to gas down the line. How long can you stay in the air on a battery ? What battery brand is a good one to buy ? I did read alittle on hoe dangerous the lipo's are, is there a different battery to use ? Like to know all input people have.

James
bixler will be fine, the dx6i does not have a throttle hold switch, so you may want to jump up to the next one that the throttle hold, it is very easy to bump that throttle and cut a hand or worse, but with the throttle hold you can flip it and the motor wont start. I have bought most planes from nitroplanes and one from banana hobby, and two on ebay. i use turnigy lipos and a turnigy9x TX ..
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 07, 2013, 08:10 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
978 Posts
Welcome to the hobby
Bixler will do you well as a starter model, as will the DX6i TX.
I use various lipo brands, some are Loong-Max (cheap & seem okay), I have some 'Turnigy' and their 'Nanotech' range really do seem very good. The key to lipo condition is to look after them when charging, then when using them don't discharge too much. You should invest in a decent charger and pay close attention to the guidelines about battery safety. Lipo's can be a bit 'volatile', but it's normally if they have suffered a hit, or being charged/discharged too hard. It's a bit like running a car, if you drive it hard, don't expect it to last as long, and it's more likely to fail as well !
Some lipo's can be charged at massive amperage, I prefer to charge mine at 1C (so 1000mah charges at 1A, 2200mah at 2.2A), although I don't charge any at more than 2A. For this, I am quite happy with my array of 50W Accucel6 chargers. They can cope with up to 5A charging, but since I don't go more than 2A they are more than capable. Your profile doesn't say where you are in the world, so it's more difficult to advise where you should get your kit. Assuming you are in USA, HobbyKing seems to be the main on-line option.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your up-coming first flight
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Oct 07, 2013, 09:27 AM
Joined Oct 2013
4 Posts
Thanks Alot

I really enjoy the input that everyone is giving. I am from Lancaster, NY, 15 minutes from Buffalo NY. More and more I get closer buying my radio and plane more nervous and excited I get. I just hope the first flight is not a crash landing lol.

James
Old Oct 07, 2013, 09:28 AM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
180 Posts
Welcome to the RC world! Where are you located? Many of us would be delighted to help you get started safely and successfully! It's fun for us, too!

You're proposed setup sounds reasonable. You might consider upgrading your tx to a DX7s . . . it has more model memory and a couple other options.

Good luck and fly safely!
iwlf is offline Find More Posts by iwlf
Old Oct 07, 2013, 09:40 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
I just hope the first flight is not a crash landing lol.
Chances are very good that it will be if you go it alone. To find someone to help, see this thread:

How to find an Instructor

Flying is actually pretty easy with the right plane. It's setting the plane up right that can be a challenge. And if the plane needs substantial trimming, a veteran can fly the plane out-of-trim and have it trimmed to fly almost hands-off in about 30 seconds while a novice will smash it into the ground and wonder what went wrong. There are other things a veteran can check on the first flight like proper CG with a dive test, whether the throws are set up right for a novice and if expo is needed. Do yourself a favor and set yourself up for success rather than failure- enlist help for the first flight.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Oct 07, 2013, 09:49 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,418 Posts
Hi James,

Welcome to RC flying!

Don't hesitate to ask questions; there are a lot of people here who will be happy to share their experience and knowledge with you. It would help us to help you if you could provide some background information:
- will you be learning on your own; do you have an experienced flyer who can help you from time to time; or will you be learning with an instructor?
- will you be joining a local flying club?
- will you be flying mostly at a club field; a local park; your own backyard/field; or some other location?
- will you be flying from a paved surface; dirt; short grass or long grass?
- do you have a vision for your future: slow flying, gliders, warbirds, scale, 3-D, high speed, etc.?
- do you enjoy tinkering/building; or primarily flying?

It's great that you are using a simulator to get you used to the skills needed for flying. Rather than waiting until spring to actually start flying, I suggest that you go right now and buy the HobbyZone Champ (complete for around $99) or the brand new HobbyZone Duet (complete for around $60). Start flying TODAY and gain some real world experience while you are thinking about what transmitter and what plane to start your "real" flying in the spring.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Oct 07, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
I like the idea your newly interested and have a winter or a few months to get ready. The simulator, if used to it's fullest powers will teach you plenty, especially if you supplement it with a lot of reading. Even simple things like learning which way you prefer to hold the toggles, sounds simple but there are a couple ways and it's nice to find out which serves you better right off the start. I switched after a few weeks in and it was a while getting used to my preference.

Learn to turn, bank and yank, flat turns. Learn which throttle setting makes any particular plane land at an airspeed above stalling speed. Real Flight will teach you how to trim a new plane if you read tips on this site and practice them on the TX provided. WInd training is also available, set up headwinds and crosswinds, and learn how each affects the handling. Ground handling, inverted, you can be very good in a few months with a plan. With RF we could even share files of our simulator flights and critique them. If you have RF feel free to PM me, I'll give you some good challenging exercises.

G'luck and if you train and pick the right plane I think you can go straight to 4 channel with a gentle plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1892802
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Last edited by immelguy; Oct 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2013, 10:43 AM
Germany
Joined Sep 2013
532 Posts
I just recently started, and am currently trying to figure out which "real" radio to get. Almost everybody says get something better than the DX6i, since you'll eventually need more channels, etc.. And it seems true; there are a TON of used DX6i's on ebay - I have to assume some of it is people getting them to start but quickly needing to upgrade. I'm looking at the DX7s or DX8, or maybe a Turnigy 9XR(cheap, and 14 channels!!)

To just get the hang of basic flying, I cannot recommend the Champ enough. Totally awesome way to get started..
Herrsavage is online now Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Old Oct 07, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Oct 2013
4 Posts
Hello Again,
No I won't be joining a flying club or have an instructor to help me. I will be in the open field , I have a few of them around me. Pretty much short to medium grass. I would really like to start out with a beginners plane such as a glider. Such as Sky surfer, bixler 2, down the line I would like to get involved in gas. For right now, I would like to just fly. Maybe down the line I would like to try and build one myself. I try and watch a lot of reviews, video's and comments. I want to learn everything I can. I just don't want to crash the first time.
Old Oct 07, 2013, 10:54 AM
Germany
Joined Sep 2013
532 Posts
The Apprentice with SAFE system is heavily recommended for beginners.. I got the Delta Ray instead, but I might get the Apprentice too at some point. I really want to get flying down - and it looks like that's gonna take a while(Year?.. Two?..) - before I start thinking about gas..
Herrsavage is online now Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Old Oct 07, 2013, 01:38 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,869 Posts
Quote:
Hello Again,

I want to learn everything I can. I just don't want to crash the first time.
Nobody wants to crash, whether it's the first time or the thousandth, but when you fly models, we accept it happens.

Anyway, a crash is either an introduction to, 'how to repair a model', or a golden opportunity to build/buy a new one.

You could spend hours on a flight sim, read every thread in the 'Sticky' section, and learn all about 'electrickery', but there is no guarantee you will have success on that first flight. Or the second, third etc.

But. Once you start, you will be hooked for life, (unless married ).
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray