HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:19 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Discussion
Eflite Scimitar: Repaint to 60's naval jet look- decals?

I am repainting my Eflite Scimitar, which seems to fly something like a jet. It reminded me of the Vought F7U Cutlass Carrier Fighter Jet, so I decided to repaint it to represent the look of a 1960's naval aircraft.

Plan: I'm going to get the decals off, sand it lightly, and paint it with Minwax Polycrylic to seal the foam and paint residue, and then spray Gloss Valspar Grey/White for the top and bottom.

Do any of you guys know where can I get some appropriate decals? I think the national insignia should be three inches or so, and I could use "NAVY" and maybe some aircraft numbers...

Thanks for any help or advice on refinishing this thing.

Woody

PS: Is this the correct forum area for my question? Thanks.
mwood is offline Find More Posts by mwood
Last edited by mwood; Jul 31, 2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Question added.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:36 AM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,097 Posts
I know some people who use Callie Graphics for their needs;
http://callie-graphics.com
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:01 AM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Thanks, that is a start. I'll ask them.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Callie Graphics seems to be an amazing outfit.

I received a very prompt email reply with an offer to send me decals for $20. I feel really lucky that I can afford that.

I'm looking forward to seeing the effect that a paint and graphics re-do will have on my Carbon Z Scimitar. I will follow up here and hope to post the final result of a transformation from sport pusher to mock vintage jet fighter as soon as I can get the job done.
Old Aug 06, 2013, 12:53 AM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Graphics arrived. They are a great match for the markings in the photo of the F7U, down to the aircraft number. I'm impressed.

More spackle and primer is now needed to improve the damaged foam. Valspar paint from Lowes at $4.00 a can works ok on the zfoam. Shoe Goo seemed to melt it a bit and was worrysome, so I switched to CA for the repairs.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 05:37 AM
TJK
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Feb 2001
119 Posts
Did you ever complete the repaint? Please post a few pictures!
TJK is online now Find More Posts by TJK
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:52 AM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
I still have the decal set.

I crashed it after that last post, the most destructive crash that I have ever experienced. I could feel the impact in the ground from across the grass field. Everything was destroyed, crushed, blown to bits. The motor and prop survived, and a couple of servos. My advice is to fly this model carefully, only when you are well rested, the sun is not in your eyes, and you are feeling lucky. If something goes wrong, it can really hit hard. Better luck to all and tell us about your success flying the Scimitar. (It was a bit to much for me I guess.)
Old Jul 19, 2014, 01:48 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood View Post
My advice is to fly this model carefully, only when you are well rested, the sun is not in your eyes, and you are feeling lucky.
That's good advice.... I crashed a plane on takeoff trying to fly when I wasn't over a bug....

On the main topic, I swear I remember being able to buy decal sheets with many different sizes of roundels back in the day.... I haven't done a search but maybe next to noone makes them now because we can get decal stock and have exactly what we want color laser printed locally now...
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:55 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,803 Posts
I bought the Scimitar... when I was too inexperienced. Fortunately, I realized it and put it back in the box, unflown. It's now been about 2 years and I am thinking about re-assembling it.

Your idea of Navalizing it is very good and, after I have some successful flights, I may follow your lead.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,277 Posts
I have a scimitar still in good shape,might be interested in those decals.Thing is kinda hard to fly,but once the cg is correct it does great pinwheels and the sound when you go by and pull up at full speed,just hangs there then the prop catches and just makes an awesome sound.I only fly it once in awhile tho.Do not use the tv until you are sure of flying it tho,it can cause a lot of probs if not set up right
oly_rcer is online now Find More Posts by oly_rcer