HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Blackpool
Joined Sep 2002
160 Posts
Discussion
UMX Pricing!

Hi all,

Is it me or is the price of these umx machines, as cool as they are, getting abit pricey?
Yes I understand business to a degree, development, manufacturing,shipping, retail shop mark ups etc etc but for example the CC. Lovely design and specs but 120 bnf, I was tempted but after reading threads re servo issues unfortunately not for me. I would imagine most things rc are manufactured in china, what isnt these days, and I bet they dont cost that "much" to build. Not just rc gear, look at a certain phone, new cost what in the uk, 600, surely someone is making a fortune, not the people in the factory thats for sure.I think there just being greedy.
Recently been looking at micro quadcopters, with winter approaching fast, something to play with indoors, there is the mqx and several "chinese" clones at a fraction of the price.
I understand the arguements for both sides, yes HH apparently have great customer service, I never had to deal with them, and yes you buy something off ebay for example, I feel theres always that risk that at worse it may never turn up or may take weeks to arrive, but lets get the cost down a little. Me personaly, i would probably buy more umx models if they were cheaper other than the odd one or two per year.
My latest purchase was the fantastic umx mig15, has to be my fave plane of 2012,but it was 110 which to me anyway, is alot of money, and I watch with eager anticipation to the new releases, ask-21 for example, cant wait for that, HH does bring out some exciting stuff and full marks to them.
Not sure if my ramblings here make any sense, may be i need a better job to earn more but i hope you understand my point of view.
Anyway I'm now dismounting from my soap box and will continue to browse the web at our fantastic hobby.
Cheers,
Nick.
Shorty is offline Find More Posts by Shorty
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:32 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,175 Posts
I hear you loud and clear my friend
some of these prices IMO have gotten high
and the others we see that some call clones I call compitition because they are not exact copies to be clones and the prices of the compitition is much lower...

very cool hoppy we have now days
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:35 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
I think 120 is fair for the CC, at least while I was living in the UK the LHS in Huntingdon had the UM P51 for like 60 quid, which is a fantastic deal. I think about it two ways, 1. you're getting great reliable customer service 2. you're buying a product that should have parts support for years unlike the cheaper knock offs which may or may not have parts support. You can walk into almost any hobby shop and find an array of parts for the HH UM fleet that just work... You might find parts for something Banana Hobby or one of the web based companies sell, but it might not fit or be exactly for that model.

I think the tech in these new aircraft is great, think back a few years and you wouldn't find something visually appealing and flyable on a whim by almost anyone for the price these things are going for.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:47 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,043 Posts
i bought a ladybird quad the other day, for $55 (shipped from the US, too) with a RTF radio that's much better than HH's RTF radios, charger, battery, spare props, spare body, firmware is updatable...

the bird flies perfect. i like HH products despite the price, but not sure why i'd get a mqx in these conditions for example.. it's 2.5 times the price at $140, without transmitter (+$70 for a transmitter), no spares... no brainer.. heck for the price diff i could buy a higher quality tx from walkera.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:04 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,507 Posts
I agree OP and that doesn't even factor in the QC gaffes over the past 18 months.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:48 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
Well they are not getting higher, theyve always been this high, the original SU-26 was was $100, same as your AS3X uber scale spitfire is today, with a battery thats over twice the C and half the price of the original batteries. The umx beast v1 was $169, same as your AS3X 5 channel CC and EDF AS3X super scale mig.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Here's the difference, in my book between paying for a HH airplane and a some cheap noname airplanes. (basically, why I don't mind paying a premium for a better airplane)

HH: for a few years after I buy it, I can always get parts LOCALLY, wing, fuselage, etc so I can keep my fleet in the air for a LONG time.
Noname: Cannot get parts the day after you buy it.

HH: Almost sure you'll have a great experience right away. (if not, they do their best to help you)
Noname: Almost sure something will fai sooner or later. (and you'll crash and you won't be able to get parts to fix it up)

HH: If I don't like the airplane, I can sell it, used, for a very decent price and get most of my money back even if I used it!. If not, I can strip the electronic and sell them for almost half the price of the airplane long after I bought it.
Noname: If you don't like the airplane, you're literally stuck with it. If you want to sell the electronic, nobody will want those noname ESCs, motors, or servos. Heck, most of the time you won't even want to use the electronic yourself!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:04 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
Now, with QC gaffs recently, i would say the only plane not worth the $169 because of QC is the Carbon Cub. The GB OTP was disastrous at first, but after HH let everyone know its not anywhere as serious as say like on the CC, where servos fail even on the first few flights. They seemed to solve all QC issues with the Mig, and so i expect a more normal very small percentage of failures that usually happen in the business. See with a small statistical error you could get a replacement and it would work fine, but with the CC you would sometimes get replacements that also have issues!!
Ive been into micro rtf since the Aero Ace sport ruled the backyard/local park. When the original miniums and then the original beast came out, it was expensive, but it was such a new and amazing innovation of true "hobby-grade" micro RC that a high price was ok. But now that small hobby grade RCs have been around a couple years, they are becoming more normal, and that causes more people to think they are expensive now that their novelty of hobby-grade/4-channel/brushless micros are wearing off.
Im quite satisfied, they keep adding more features for the same price. The original miniums/etomics were $120 RTF! and they were 3-channel and not DSM2!! and now $100 gets you the AS3X spit, and you can use a real radio!
As a starving artist, they are high, but it makes sense, i saw it all develop, and i wont complain. The only thing i have to complain of here was their QC in the past 8 months.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
AT my LHS the new UM Spitfire AS3X just debuted at a whopping $99.00. How is that too expensive? I can see how the Carbon Cub comes out at $169.00 since it has all the doodads on it such as lights, struts, etc. At one LHS I go to, the OTD price is just $95.00 after tax. Excellent if you ask me.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:10 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
My LHS has the Hyper Taxi for 100!!! and many of their products get a discount when its time to limit production, the first beast went to 100, the stryker went from 160 to 130 a long time ago and its still that price!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:49 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,043 Posts
with discounts the prices are ok i guess, for some planes. Like the spitfire at $100.. that's good. The Stryker at 130.. well i'd rather see it at 100 as well, but this one is an exceptional airframe so that alone makes the price okay.. at 130. an exception in my book . (else, the HK radjet is at $56...)

the LD vs mqx is however pretty extreme if you ask me.

also with the competition, and years going by, other product price went down, so it makes the difference more apparent that it used to be (even thus it always to be slightly more expensive).
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
This coming from someone that's been flying for 42 years---We've become spoiled to cheap electronics...It wasn't that long ago where a Canon "micro" system with 4 servos the size of HS-82's cost $1000!!!...We can now buy servos for $2 and 6 channel receivers for $6...But think about it...We are buying scale planes with scale paint jobs, already assembled for you, ready to fly!!!...And complete with triple surface gyro systems, ultra micro servos that were unheard of only a few years ago...We can now buy a 6 channel RX "brick" with two micro servos installed, an on-board brushless ESC, and triple surface gyro system for less than $70!!!???!!!...

Spoiled--YES!!!...Those of us that have been around for a while can appreciate the CHEAP new technology we now have...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Oct 03, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I agree OP and that doesn't even factor in the QC gaffes over the past 18 months.

oh man!
what about the 3s and 4s planes they sell
flippin way more than anyone else IMO
the micros not to big a deal for me... but GP is coming out with a little Quad that looks killer and cheaper than HH version
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:19 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
BL55, you mention GP. Cheaper isnt better, but instead, as tx-ready is to BNF, are different business proposals. For example, the GP sabre is cheaper, for cheaper, you get slightly less scale looks, more fragility, less stability, and no gyro system. Now, im not saying that is a bad plane, ive always wanted the GP Sabre, but its a different solution that has pros and cons. When GP is able to put out an equivalent product for cheaper, Ill be with you. But its not, its two different business solutions, the way it should be.
Yes, theyre 3S and 4S planes are alot, especially retracts, but does the Flyzone FW-190 have landing gear that doesnt brake under normal/expected conditions? Not a bad product at all, just since you bought a cheaper product, you have certain disadvantages to deal with. This is capitalism!!
Crashmeup, the radjet is $56? I love that! But the radjet is a completely different product than the stryker, the stryker is an ultra manueverabe 3D capable ship, and 3D manuevers that almost nothing but the stryker Q can do!! Now, the radjet is a downsized funjet, which is smooth goes fast and turns smooth with docile characteristics, which ive flown, and i have a UM stryker, you just cant compare them. They are different beasts.
I just cant see a case whith these UM planes where a company can deliver an equivalent product(including quality, customer service) for cheaper. All i see is a normal capitalist system.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:23 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
The other great thing lately, as like a capitalist system, you actually have proper competition to HH, flyzone/gp and HK, which means the consumer does not face a monopoly anymore, and each has pros and cons, and prices accordingly.