Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:11 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
Discussion
Windsock installation at Brookside field...

Well, we finally did it! A windsock.

I've been meaning for the past year to put up a decent windsock at the park/field we do most of our casual flying. When HK (Hobby King) finally got in their new inventory of very affordable windsocks, I ordered 3 of them. They had been backordered for months!

They are quite nice: The sock is a decent size, with a 10" opening, on a 12" aluminum 3/8" tube, with about a 30" length. Only $2.99/ea. We used a 1/2" SS pipe (surplus) that was ~32" long, sandwiched between two hardwood blocks with a "U" clamp on a backstop pole to mount the unit ~22 feet up. It was tricky using the 18' ladder to attach the pole, but we did it!

I used a 5/16 washer with a piece of plastic coat hanger inserted into the sock's tube (using graphite epoxy to adhere it) to extend the sock about 9". It slipped into the pipe perfectly!

We had a hoot with several folks flying after we installed the sock. It was great to have some local help, and the kids can use this to determine whether the wind is enough for kite flying! The sock's stripes are about 2 km/h (or 1mph) per stripe, so when fully inflated, the wind is pretty much 10-12 km/h (or higher). Good to know in that field! The nearby church has a large flag that we used to use, but it did not always indicate wind well. This is WAYYY better!

See pics below...

Sky Cadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Jul 09, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:32 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
490 Posts
I just replaced mine at our local field. It lasted about 10 months in the Georgia sun. Not bad for $3.
seojeff is online now Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:10 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
re: windsock...

That's not bad!

Yeah, it's a nice offering, and highly affordable. How did it hold up against WIND?

Darren/SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
That's not bad!

Yeah, it's a nice offering, and highly affordable. How did it hold up against WIND?

Darren/SkyCadet
Wind didn't seem to be a problem. The fabric simply deteriorated from sun exposure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:18 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
I figured so. Thanks.

Did you guys there ever figure out the striping vs wind speed of the sock? it looks to be around 1mph/stripe or so as far as I can tell...

Have a great day!

Darren/SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Aug 2011
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
I figured so. Thanks.

Did you guys there ever figure out the striping vs wind speed of the sock? it looks to be around 1mph/stripe or so as far as I can tell...

Have a great day!

Darren/SkyCadet
Wow, I never even considered it like that. The only issue I see there is that the stiffness of the material changes over time. I wouldn't rely on that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:12 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
I guess youre right, Jeff!

Over time, as the material "softens" and degrades, it might be less accurate. It's good enough as a guestimate - if the things striaght out, it's probably too wind, anyway!

SC
RCG Plus Member