HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2013, 03:12 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post

The Calypso has a very high lift airfoil. I don't have a whole lot of soaring time on it but I have discovered that, no matter how you set it up, you will find that the faster you go the more it will climb. That's why you want to trim it out in the glide rather than under power. The nose will, inevitably, rise under power and you have to decide whether you want to program in elevator or flaps with throttle (This assumes you have a radio capable of the necessary programming.) or just learn to shove forward on the elevator stick along with the throttle. I prefer the latter and I don't recommend trying to learn using flaps until you feel comfortable just climbing up and gliding down. "Gliding up" can wait for later.

Cheers!
Well, "the fast you go the more it will climb" it certainly not happened to me. I will look into the tail incidence issue. I suspect that my tail was not tightly secured, after she crashed, tail disintegrated from the fuselage. I do not believe this is a typical crash scene for a head on dive, do you ?
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,437 Posts
Sorry about the confusion, GTstrudl. "The faster you go, the more it will climb" only applies if the plane is trimmed for a level glide. If your stab was loose then that could explain why you couldn't pull the nose up. Whether you shim the tail or just use up trim you will want to be sure that the stab is secure. While you're at it, it would be a good idea to make sure that you aren't fighting a flexing pushrod. Just grab the elevator and move the stick to make sure it will move against pressure.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:20 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
899 Posts
Thanks Peter, I have already got enough info for my next flight. Just waiting for replacement servos to be delivered. I will also find a way to secure the stab.
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:39 PM
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Charter Township
Joined Mar 2005
22 Posts
Flaps vs. flaperons/spoilerons

About ready to get the ARF version (have most of the electronics on hand). My radio can mix flaperons and spoilerons, switch in either/or. I think I also could mix crow if I installed the separate flaps -- haven't tried that mix because none of my sport planes have separate flaps. I have a six-channel computer radio with three free mixes -- JR XP662 (I know, I know, I need to upgrade to 2.4, will be doing that soon).

Probably not a big deal either way with this plane due to thick airfoil? Any concerns about using flaperons/spoilerons with these nearly full-span ailerons? If not I'd probably just leave it at that and see what works rather than adding the flap servos. This will be my first glider after 15 years of flying glow sport planes, park flyers & 3-D foamies. I have a large flying area available but I prefer to fly in the big sports park behind my house, so I want to make sure I can get it down in a smaller area. Your thoughts appreciated. TIA.
rcfly46 is offline Find More Posts by rcfly46
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:29 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Simplest course, or at least what I'd do, is first get 'er out into those wide open spaces & see what she (and you) are capable of. Set up some visual boundaries modeling what you'd be up against in the park, try the wind from as many angles as possible, & get an idea whether further enhancements are warranted. If not, time & money saved.
My tuppence.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:59 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfly46 View Post
I have a large flying area available but I prefer to fly in the big sports park behind my house, so I want to make sure I can get it down in a smaller area. Your thoughts appreciated. TIA.
I have the exact same circumstance. I found that the flaps GREATLY facilitate being able to land first time around each flight. Either mix in some down elevator with the flaps or be ready on the stick to put some in, because, as you would expect, she balloons with flaps.

Dave
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:04 PM
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Charter Township
Joined Mar 2005
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
I have the exact same circumstance. I found that the flaps GREATLY facilitate being able to land first time around each flight. Either mix in some down elevator with the flaps or be ready on the stick to put some in, because, as you would expect, she balloons with flaps.

Dave
Thanks guys, good advice. I'll start simple & go from there.

Joe
rcfly46 is offline Find More Posts by rcfly46
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:15 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,051 Posts
Maidened today, flown glider but it's been awhile. Front magnet on canopy came off and course popped off during release. Had this happen with other models touch more glue.

Winds and gusts so not able to do the fast climb, brought it down early expecting penetration but landed far end between two short trees.

Things settled next flight tho some winds, altitude abit again light on penetration. Zig zagged around rather stable flying, kept things closer on lowering turn arounds, this time landed close, light gusts did nose up but able to level for touchdown, usual ground effect.

Close inspection tail assembly slight lift in front as not yet fully seated, gads check things!

Overall nice smooth release on launches, can't wait for smoother conditions.
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:53 PM
Guy
Canada, ON, Georgetown
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
Lost my Calypso today

Not lost as in it flew away but it packed it in. Flying with a Hitec A9 transmitter and receiver as I have been for the last few months. Was flying today with light winds around 11am and had been up for about 30 minutes and did 3 motor run ups to about 400 feet with some limited lift. On my 4th run up I hooked a great thermal and was up to 1200 feet. Decided it was time to come down and went from camber to reflex and started flying out of the thermal and gave it just a bit of down. All good and tracking nicely. Then out of nowhere it pointed straight down and I had zero control of any control surface. Nothing. I have telemetry and all the way down it was reporting 11.4 volts on my main pack. It stayed pointing straight down, wings intact and never pulled up on it's own nor did it tuck under, just like an arrow. Impact right on the spinner. Walked out to get it and total compression of the fusalage. Nothing much left to save. Edit (failsafe was set to all neutral controls and zero throttle)

Got home pulled the electronics and tested everything out. No problems. But all the servos are stripped and done. Will salvage what I can. Ordered another PNP version and will try again as I was really liking learning with this one. Will learn more before I venture into a Mistique or Esprit model. Sure would like to know what happened though.
gvdl1 is offline Find More Posts by gvdl1
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:09 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,051 Posts
Myself and another pilot had same thing happen more than once using spectrum. Some reason signal lost and turned transmitter off and on regained things, other times crashed.

Happened after near hundred flights. Now using the rtf supplied transmitter, hopefully don't run into that again.

Some winds at daybreak, launch on this one is easy, slightest toss. Above half throttle slow climb, reasonable altitude, too early for lift came down abit fast but fun glide. Kept it ahead of me till was getting just above tree level, turned back of me not far zig zag to soft landing, winds held it before reaching me. Can't wait for the calm day flight.

Just a note on other gliders some strong thermals, my other pilot left the lift, suddenly screamed down, not getting control but last recovered. felt to him a possible huge strong down draft off of the strong thermal, is negative lift but this was huge!
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; Apr 22, 2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:25 AM
Joined Mar 2011
10 Posts
Maidened the Calypso using the Any link. Took the airplane way high, no range problems encountered.......
jafra98 is offline Find More Posts by jafra98
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:07 AM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,642 Posts
How big a battery can I put on this?

I just ordered one and ordered the Thunderpower Light 1300mAh batteries.
I have several Thunder Power 2700 mAh batteries... I would LOVe to be able to use those
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:36 PM
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
How big a battery can I put on this?

I just ordered one and ordered the Thunderpower Light 1300mAh batteries.
I have several Thunder Power 2700 mAh batteries... I would LOVe to be able to use those
I don't think you should...I believe people here have gone as high as 2200 mAh. With 1500 or 1800 mAh you should be fine. Remember the plane is designed to be balanced by a 1300, and the default 1300 will give you plenty of flight time if you just use the motor for climbing to altitude...I've done 20 - 30 minute flights and I am just a beginner in thermalling!
HARD DRYVE is offline Find More Posts by HARD DRYVE
Last edited by HARD DRYVE; Apr 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling :)
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:40 PM
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafra98 View Post
Maidened the Calypso using the Any link. Took the airplane way high, no range problems encountered.......
Another pilot joins the sailplane ranks, congrats man!!!...will be recording video.... coming soon!
HARD DRYVE is offline Find More Posts by HARD DRYVE
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:57 PM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARD DRYVE View Post
I don't think you should...I believe people here have gone as high as 2200 mAh. With 1500 or 1800 mAh you should be fine. Remember the plane is designed to be balanced by a 1300, and the default 1300 will give you plenty of flight time if you just use the motor for climbing to altitude...I've done 20 - 30 minute flights and I am just a beginner in thermalling!
That is good. This will be a good sport-competition plane.

I may put a scorpion motor in the front and a better prop:

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...I-3008-1090KV/

I hope it fits. but I cannot find any tech drawings of the nose.
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco