HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2014, 04:16 AM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlib17 View Post
What exactly are you smoking? Are you sure this stuff is safe?

It's other way around: it's called "redundancy". PWM signal decoder is dead simple, and implemented in hw. PPM, on the other hand is prone to noise and sw issues.

I see - pay $8 more, get less function.
I don't know why ppm scares some people my friend refuses to use ppm. He has never used it to have a problem with it but like you he swears by pwm. That it's "simpler" but it's far from it.he has to route 8 wires around his quad from his flight controller, he is limited to 8 channels instead of 16ch, he needs a separate wire for Rssi,

And I have a failsafe in place for if the ppm wire comes out it's called RTL or auto land.
geofrancis is online now Find More Posts by geofrancis
Last edited by geofrancis; Jul 21, 2014 at 04:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2014, 04:46 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,002 Posts
Where would you need more than 8ch on a quad?
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Jul 21, 2014, 04:51 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Mar 2014
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
How is PPM less functional? Can you get 16 channels with any PWM RX?
Don't know about 16, but I 8ch PWM is widely used, and I saw 9ch too.

Quote:
Since I don't fly or care about fixed wing, redundancy is not an issue for me because with my multirotors if any 1 wire falls off it's coming down regardless
False. In PWM disconnected wire will be interpreted as "0" at appropriate channel. If this is throttle control, than yes, it will fall. But in all other cases it will just loose some control, and you can bring it down pretty safely.
Xlib17 is offline Find More Posts by Xlib17
Old Jul 21, 2014, 04:59 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Mar 2014
52 Posts
Quote:
I prefer digital over analog on all things except music
Do you aware that both PWM and PPM are forms of modulations (that what last "M" is standing for). And "modulation" (don't confuse it with encoding) by its very nature is _analog_.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:26 AM
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
3,295 Posts
Quote:
False. In PWM disconnected wire will be interpreted as "0" at appropriate channel. If this is throttle control, than yes, it will fall. But in all other cases it will just loose some control, and you can bring it down pretty safely.
So basically you enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing I see and I guess I do too because I keep replying.

And actually I have multiply failsafes both in the RX and my flight controller that handles pretty much anything except complete power failure. It will either come home or land depending on how bad and what the failure is.
My X8 even handles a loss of motor or prop [or two] gracefully enough for me to fly it home or land [found out the hard way on this]

But you win. I surrender. PWM is the only way to go and I'm going to switch all my birds over immediately. [/sarcasm]

Have a great day.

but as I no longer wish to partake I close with a single image.
I still like the one on the right.

TheQuestor is online now Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TheQuestor; Jul 21, 2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:50 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Mar 2014
52 Posts
Quote:
So basically you enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing I see and I guess I do too because I keep replying.

Have a great day.
Sorry for trolling, you right - serial protocols have pros. It's just I don't really like an idea of replacing whole RC, or adding convertor board.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:12 AM
Joined Mar 2013
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for trolling, you right - serial protocols have pros. It's just I don't really like an idea of replacing whole RC, or adding convertor board.
Nothing wrong with a good troll and yes you are right sometimes there are good reasons not to do something especially if it means having to replace a lot of stuff that just works for no other reason than to replace it. But in my case I already AM replacing a bunch of stuff that just worked [apm and 9x with a RTFHawk and a Taranis] so for me it would be crazy not to utilize all the nice new stuffs

I sure do miss the cheap 9 dollar RX's for my 9x though as these new ones are 33 each so that is 100 bucks just for receivers cry! + 30 more bucks for 2 pwm to cppm converters for my 2 remaining APMs. This is NOT a cheap hobby.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:21 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoiTY View Post
Thanks for the advice guys, I hunkered down and ordered myself a Neo-7 module, it looks good, especially with the 10hz update rate and GLONASS support. I shall report back on how it performs once I test it out.
I got my Neo-7m GPS unit, been tinkering with it to get it to work with the Crius AIOP, since the default pinouts on the module are meant for the Pixhawk. I was wondering why it wouldn't work until I discovered that the TX cable does into the RX pin and vice versa. I don't have a FTDI cable, so I can't change any of the GPS unit's settings yet, but it's here sitting inside my room, under my desk and next to my computer and heater (It's a cold winter) with 9 satellite connections . The GPS location is fairly accurate, but it does fluctuate around a bit, but I'm blaming that on being indoors and next to other electronics at the moment.

Does anyone know how I might be able to change the settings (Update rate, etc) for the Ublox module from multiwii without having to get a seperate FTDI cable to configure it?
OoiTY is offline Find More Posts by OoiTY
Old Jul 21, 2014, 02:15 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,002 Posts
Quote:

I sure do miss the cheap 9 dollar RX's for my 9x though as these new ones are 33 each so that is 100 bucks just for receivers cry! + 30 more bucks for 2 pwm to cppm converters for my 2 remaining APMs. This is NOT a cheap hobby.
This always makes me smile people that have came into the hobby since, 9xr's orange rx's and frsky etc think $30 is expensive for a RX, in the good old 35/72mhz days we regular paid $100 for a 7ch JR receiver and people today who use genuine spektrum, JR, Futaba branded RX's are paying more than that.
I recently built a big model for a guy who supplied me with a 14ch Futaba RX which cost 120stg ($170).

I think my Frsky 8ch RX's are really cheap and thankful for it
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:56 PM
Joined Mar 2014
2 Posts
perhaps it is due to magnetic interference : http://purposefulscience.blogspot.co...erference.html
fliperbaker is offline Find More Posts by fliperbaker
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:35 AM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
This always makes me smile people that have came into the hobby since, 9xr's orange rx's and frsky etc think $30 is expensive for a RX, in the good old 35/72mhz days we regular paid $100 for a 7ch JR receiver and people today who use genuine spektrum, JR, Futaba branded RX's are paying more than that.
I recently built a big model for a guy who supplied me with a 14ch Futaba RX which cost 120stg ($170).

I think my Frsky 8ch RX's are really cheap and thankful for it
I remeber when I built my first rc boat 15 years ago i got a futaba attack II 2ch 27mhz it cost me 150 now I could get a taranis for that kind of money.
geofrancis is online now Find More Posts by geofrancis
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
Joined May 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
I got my Neo-7m GPS unit, been tinkering with it to get it to work with the Crius AIOP, since the default pinouts on the module are meant for the Pixhawk. I was wondering why it wouldn't work until I discovered that the TX cable does into the RX pin and vice versa. I don't have a FTDI cable, so I can't change any of the GPS unit's settings yet, but it's here sitting inside my room, under my desk and next to my computer and heater (It's a cold winter) with 9 satellite connections . The GPS location is fairly accurate, but it does fluctuate around a bit, but I'm blaming that on being indoors and next to other electronics at the moment.

Does anyone know how I might be able to change the settings (Update rate, etc) for the Ublox module from multiwii without having to get a seperate FTDI cable to configure it?
I have done it with the Crius Board used as a FTDI I only described the procedure for flashing my FrSky module on my blog, but it is likely the same for the Neo-GPS.
xsergo is online now Find More Posts by xsergo
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
Joined Mar 2013
3,295 Posts
Quote:

FTDI adapters are dirt cheap and ALWAYS good to have one or two on hand.

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...b-adapter.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FT232RL-FTDI...item19f0a1511f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-3V-5-5V-FT...item35d639908f
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5