HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2011, 11:32 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
Discussion
Blizzard-E Molded

I have just completed, but not yet flown a Blizzard E. The weight has come out at 86oz. This is 7 oz over the published max. weight, and this puts the CG at 90mm from the LE. about the mid-point of the range.

I have about 680W from the Hacker power system, so I do not foresee any climb issues.

I would welcome any comments from anyone who has ACTUALLY finished and flown one of these beauties.

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Last edited by rev.iain; Jul 07, 2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:53 PM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
Blizzard Maiden flight

OH, that was close!!!

I set up the model as I though fit, with a few years of experience behind me. I was so far off on the elevator movement it was almost a disaster.
In order to get the CG in the right area I molded a lead weight to fit around the gearbox, so it is as far forward as possible.
the CG was a little forward of the suggested range, but nose heavy is better, RIGHT!!
The first and only flight so far was short, and the only good thing was no damage was done to model, modeler or innocent bystanders.

The model proceed to climb at a very steep angle (90 deg) so I reached for the motor switch, but caught the flap control which gave full 'CROW' before I could shut down. I then cleared the 'crow' and proceeded to land after a spectacular 20' diameter loop.

Fortunately the heart restarted in AUTO mode, and all was relatively safe.

I have now changed the motor control to a progressive throttle instead of an on/off switch until the launch trim issue is resolved. I also removed about 1/2oz of lead, and the CG is now just a little forward of the mid-range position.

Looking forward to the next flying day.

Iain
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:44 PM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
Second 'maiden'

With a trim change, an new flight mode setup the second attempt was slightly less scary.
The model went vertical, with (more) full down elevator. A about 100' power was shut off and a small loop completed. Model showed good glide potential, but a second application of power at about 50' resulted in another vertical climb.
Power was again cut and a landing was performed in good order.
Pilot shaken but not stirred, and calmer than last time!

Next step. Increase amount of Down Elevator, and add downthust to the motor.

More later.

Iain