Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 26, 2011, 08:00 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Discussion
Re-maidening after extensive repairs...

Hi...I've been having problems with my Scorpio Hellcat. I think I am the problem. I've been flying for about 6 months, and graduated up to 40" warbirds within a couple of weeks. My second plane was the PZ Spitfire (never crashed that one). However, I think my problem is flying something that ISN'T idiot-proof like a PZ warbird...I mean...let's face it...those things will practically fly themselves.

My Hellcat (OOP Scorpio kit):

I've flown her easily when she was mint, and life was good. I had a couple of minor crashes, and fixed her. Trying to fly her again, ended up with a major crash...something didn't feel right. I fixed again. Up in the air, totally out of control, and the nose gets obliterated. I fixed again...took me a week this time. I went out to give her another shot today. She was so wildly out of control, I had no idea where to start on the trims. I got as much altitude as I could, but the plane went every direction but straight. She finally plowed into a set of bleachers. I scooped up all the pieces, and will...rebuild...again.

My first reaction is that I am a decent pilot on a well set up plane. But a heavily modified/repaired plane loses it's stock flight characteristics. I think I need more time behind the sticks of a stock (idiot-proof) plane to become better. Am I off on that one? Or...can you actually repair an airframe to the point it's pretty much useless?

I'll see what I can do to get pics up this evening.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Last edited by The Hog Pen; May 26, 2011 at 11:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2011, 11:54 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Here's the Hellcat as wrecked (today)...I know I can put it back together I've already started that process)...that's not the issue. You can see the previous repairs to the nose...and the bifurcation of the fuse...and the snapped h-stab...and the list goes on.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:24 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
I would think the balance (center of Gravity) changed with your repairs. If it is tail heavy, it will be VERY difficult to fly. Did you check that?

AJ
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Old May 27, 2011, 08:27 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
I do check the COG after any repairs or chenges to the plane.It was a tad nose-heavy, which is weird, because it was ballooning. I'm thinking my thrust angle must have gotten tweaked, even though it looked right.
Old May 30, 2011, 06:41 PM
Joined Jul 2008
6 Posts
Hey Hog Pen!
I rebuild most of my wrecks...at least once. If you have never built a kit or scratch built, it can be quite a chore, as I am sure you know. After a rebuild, check EVERY THING! Make sure wing incidence, tail group, control throws, engine thrust angle etc., etc. is right on. Just one item can mess you up, and if there is more than one, it's a handful. Don't forget to range check your radio too, and make sure you don't have a bad connection that makes something quit working once in a blue moon.
Best of luck!
Wolf62 is offline Find More Posts by Wolf62
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:33 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf62 View Post
Hey Hog Pen!
I rebuild most of my wrecks...at least once. If you have never built a kit or scratch built, it can be quite a chore, as I am sure you know. After a rebuild, check EVERY THING! Make sure wing incidence, tail group, control throws, engine thrust angle etc., etc. is right on. Just one item can mess you up, and if there is more than one, it's a handful. Don't forget to range check your radio too, and make sure you don't have a bad connection that makes something quit working once in a blue moon.
Best of luck!
Good advice for anyone! I check all that and more, to the best of my abilities. I think the squirreliness was due t the wing being loose, and shifting in flight. I finished piecing her back together last night...GAWD she's hiddeous...but hopefully she'll fly.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:04 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
I took her out a couple of weeks ago, and the the ailerons were a no-go. I changed receivers at the field, and the aileron servos were buzzing, and twitching. Didn't even attempt putting her in the air. Going to check the wiring, drop in a fresh RX, and see what happens.