HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:16 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Discussion
EasyStar component placement

Could those who have loads of experience with the EasyStar, please tell me the most suitable placement areas for components. I guess it can all go on the cockpit (Maybe except the ESC for rf issues), but that may make loading the battery a bit tricky. How do you ensure that putting in the battery isn't too tricky?

I'll be running 2200mah lipo, 2.4Ghz AR7000 + Satellite Rx and HTX900 servos. I think the (40A) ESC will me mounted on the motor mount, but would also appreciate ideas there.

Thanks guys.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:37 PM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
ar700 is overkill ar-6200 would be better. you will need to add weight when flying with lipos.
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:40 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
I only have a spare AR7000, so that's the Rx. The plane will probaby be used for FPV at a later stage.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:09 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
AR7000 is fine.

Place the ESC on one side of the fuse, then the Rx in the middle of the fuse, behind the opening for the canopy, on the floor. Then put the battery as far forward in the nose as necessary to achieve the proper CG
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:52 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks Xpress - have you got a photo of this maybe? Battery as far foward will offset the more heavy motor and ESC placement, right? Sound like a plane. Just wondering about the ESC placement, and how you attach them there. Also, does it not cause a wind resistance issue?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:50 AM
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Here's an example. This is how the Multiplex Easy Star RTF comes (except the ESC is mounted onto the other fuselage half).

You will need to position the battery to allow for proper CG, but they tend to wind up in the nose
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:13 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Ok, so it looks like there's no real reason to burrom into those two 'hidden' compartments under the wings then. I thought maybe something had to go in there. Is the ESC fitted OUTSIDE the cockpit?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:21 AM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Ok, so it looks like there's no real reason to burrom into those two 'hidden' compartments under the wings then. I thought maybe something had to go in there. Is the ESC fitted OUTSIDE the cockpit?
esc can go in or out, it don;t matter.
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:16 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Quote:
ESC can go outside, but IMO put it inside, and cut a hole in the nose, just in front of the canopy, so cooling airflow can flow over the battery, and the electronics.

BTW, the two pockets underneath the wing are for your servos, hence the holes right in front (where cooling airflow can also exit)
Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:58 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
I put my ESC over the wing just in front of where the motor is located. It's exposed to the airflow that way. Leaves more room under the hatch for proper positioning of the battery for balance. I'll snap a pic to show you.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Dec 31, 2009, 07:10 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks Doubletap - that would be great. I think I have seen the ESC upo there a few times.

I might have to move the ESC up there because I just found something I bought when I started putting together my FPV plane, which was going to be an EasyStar, but I ended up doing an EasyGlider. So, I had a spare canopy mount for a camera.

THis may allow me to fly the plane as conventional RC like this:

Or else, take off the canopy and slap this baby one!

The camera and video Tx will fit on this, and I'll have a spare wire that draws power from my flight pack. I think it will work fine. The video TX gets stuck to the big back plate.. camer on the camera part, and underneith (inside the cockpit) will be the power filter (Remove ESC noise).

My worry is that the CoG will change dramatically when I swop from conventional to FPV config. I will put all the items on the FPV mount and weigh it. But it will be ALOT heavier than the default canopy.

And this also means that the ESC must be as far away as possible from the camera Tx...
Old Dec 31, 2009, 07:15 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
OK, here are the pics. In case you are wondering, my setup is as follows:

Motor: Align 400SF, 2800kv
ESC: TowerPro Gen1 30A
Battery: any cheap 2200, 3S
Prop: APC 5.5 x 4.5E
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Dec 31, 2009, 07:55 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks Doubletap - that looks pretty neat! I may copy you there. Did you cut some foam to get the ESC to sit more flush?

I'll be running the Zippy 2200mah packs... Just not sure how I am going to solve my varying CoG issue I'll be having when changing from FPV canopy to normal.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:53 PM
The sky ate my homework!
Foster City, CA
Joined Apr 2009
332 Posts
Quote:
Hi Cralis,
Here are two examples of outside ESC's:

This is a neat one over the wings by OldPilot (similar to Doubletap's):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11948

This is mine: I carved some foam out of the canopy (my goal was to alter only the canopy and leave the fuse intact because a canopy only costs $8 and i have a few extras):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12033
Sorry the picture is of the ESC underconstruction but I think it shows the setup pretty clearly.

Have fun!

Mi
michaehay is offline Find More Posts by michaehay
Last edited by michaehay; Jan 01, 2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 01, 2010, 12:07 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
That's good stuff! I can't use the canopy, as .. as above... I will be interchanging the canopy a lot, I think. But mounting flush on the top of the wings looks neat! I wonder how that guy handles heat... I guess with the top surface pointing up, it'll be OK, but how much wind actually hits that? Looks very neat though...