SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2014, 02:10 AM
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
Looking for PT-17 kit or planes

Hello sorry to beat a dead horse but I am looking for a kit or plan of a Stearman pt-17 to build out of balsa, I have seen kits and plans with 70 + inch wingspans but I am looking for something around 48" or less. I would also like to power it with a gas engine . if anybody can help me with some advice I would appreciate it, I would like to start this project over this winter thank you for your time.
thorny196 is online now Find More Posts by thorny196
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2014, 09:15 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,804 Posts
I'm assuming you mean glow power. Gas engines are used for the bigger planes. There are two on outer zone at 48"ws.
Here's one of them.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3907

Lots of good stuff on outer zone.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Edwin thank you for your response and yes glow power or not electric. After looking at the available prints on outerzone and studying them I have come to the conclusion that I am not ready for that sort of project I am woefully uneducated about many terms and procedures that the plan seems to think I should already know. So I am putting those plans in a file for later use. Moving forward I would like to say that I have not built a balsa plane in over 30 years. Since my job requires much traveling i have not had time for a hobby. However I am planning an early retirement so I would like to start building RC glow plug powered scale models but I will now look for a kit (wingspan less the 50"). I prefer laser cut parts either with the kit or available for the plan through a second party. I enjoy ww II aircraft maybe some one can recommend a kit in any of the following aircraft that I enjoy most. The kit can have retracts or fixed gear. I like the following aircraft: P-39 ,Curtiss Hawk 75, P-40B, F4F-3, P-51B, the Italian fiat G50 early or the Macchi M.C.200 Saetta. I also like twin's engine aircraft Like the P-38, B-25 or the Mosquito. I thank you for your time and expertise R/Mike
thorny196 is online now Find More Posts by thorny196
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2007
223 Posts
Hi! I have one of the Guillows PT-17 kits that I'd part with. The box isn't all that pretty but all of the parts are there. If you're interested, I'm asking $50 delivered in ConUS.
propaplace is offline Find More Posts by propaplace
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,777 Posts
https://www.alienaircraft.com/k306.htm
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,804 Posts
Warbird kits that small are pretty rare. I would suggest .60 sized warbirds. They fly fine on a .60 2-stroke or .90 4-stroke. The top flight kits at tower would be a good choice. Their instructions give good tips on building. Otherwise, you might have to go with a kit cutter. Things to remember when building is alignment, check it through out the build. I also check cg during the build, it helps when doing equipment placement. A flat building board is priority one. Hardware stores sell 2'x4' shelf board that is formica on both sides. any questions, just ask here and somebody will know the answer.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined Mar 2009
167 Posts
Thorny,
You don't list where you are. I have a PT-17 That is stripped down and needs a bunch of TLC to get it back in the air. Too big to ship economically. It's from an old Sterling kit with a 65 inch wing span. It needs a lot of work but the complicated building part is already done.
If you are going to be in the Detroit area let me know and maybe we can work something out.
Dave
Detroit Dave is offline Find More Posts by Detroit Dave