HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2014, 05:39 PM
Joined Dec 2014
3 Posts
Help!
New to helis

Hey guys new to the hobby. Wanting to move up from toy helicopters. What would you guys recommend I have kinda narrowed it down between a v911 or a blade but not dead set. Thanks in advance for any info.
OldRookie77 is offline Find More Posts by OldRookie77
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2014, 06:04 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRookie77 View Post
Hey guys new to the hobby. Wanting to move up from toy helicopters. What would you guys recommend I have kinda narrowed it down between a v911 or a blade but not dead set. Thanks in advance for any info.
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, a lot of people here will want to talk to you about "toy grade" vs. "hobby grade" helicopters. I say hogwash to that distinction.

Third, I would post over in the Beginner's forum, because there are a whole lot of people who monitor that forum who were extremely friendly and helpful when I started.

Fourth, when I started, it was with a v911 and from there I went to the Blade 120SR so I think I understand where you are right now. I will say that if I had it to do over again, I would start with the v911 again. It's inexpensive, durable, and downright fun for roughly $40. There is a whole lot of v911 info in my blog here. The v911 is stabilized with a 45 degree balance bar on the rotor head, which makes it incredibly stable, but the price you pay is that you eventually have to fight with the helicopter to make it move around exactly the way you want it to. It will get you started with single rotor helis, but it will not teach you the skills that you need to develop if you want to fly a larger collective pitch helicopter later. I started with the v911 anyway, and I am now moving to collective pitch helicopters. It varies from person to person.

I regret buying my Blade 120SRs and I have sold them. I am glad I paid only about $50 each for them used and was able to get my money back out of them. Blade parts for all of their helicopters are outrageously expensive. There is nothing "hobby grade" about them either. Some people will tell you that Blade gives great customer service. I don't need customer service. As for the Blade 120SR itself it is old, slow, clunky technology. They weren't even good trainers IMHO. The plastic was absolutely terrible quality and it bent and broke very easily.

Depending on what your goals are, you may want to consider a quadcopter as a trainer, even if you have no interest in quads. Some say they are better for people who want to move to collective pitch helis later.

HiSky also makes some great little affordable helis, both FP and CP, so you might want to read about those as well and ask questions in their threads.

Hope this helps. Again welcome to the site.

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is online now Find More Posts by Florida Heli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2014, 06:25 PM
Joined Dec 2014
3 Posts
Thank you for your reply I will definitely post over in the beginner's forum also and I will look into the HiSkys.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 06:41 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRookie77 View Post
Thank you for your reply I will definitely post over in the beginner's forum also and I will look into the HiSkys.
Also, more here in this new thread along the same lines:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2301353

I aim to create as many helicopter addicts as I can this holiday season!

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is online now Find More Posts by Florida Heli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:22 AM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2006
465 Posts
If you haven't made the jump from 3 channel to 4 channel, I suggest starting with an inexpensive 4-channel coaxial and then moving on to the V911. I started with the JXD Drift King (about $30) which was like a 3-channel coax that could also slide sideways like a 4-channel and it used the mode 2 transmitter setup which is what you really need to get used to when you switch from 3 to 4 channel because the rudder will now be on the left stick and the right stick will be for aileron. You can go straight to the V911 if you want since its pretty durable but a coaxial is still a little more stable than the v911 so its easier to learn on.
overedline is offline Find More Posts by overedline
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:43 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Feb 2013
466 Posts
My 2 cents - grab. Wltoys v212 quad as well. Easy to fly and you will learn heaps that will assist with learning more complex birds. Very durable as well.
Zaphod69 is online now Find More Posts by Zaphod69
Old Dec 10, 2014, 05:41 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2014
53 Posts
V911 is a good choice to start with. I started with S107 but regret buying that and almost immediately switch to v911. Cheap durable and nice heli to start with
Jimmylyk is offline Find More Posts by Jimmylyk
Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:12 PM
Joined Dec 2014
3 Posts
Thanks for the replies I'm sure I'll have many more questions. 😊
Old Dec 10, 2014, 08:11 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2014
53 Posts
Just another thing you need to be consider for beginner buying heli. Try to get a heli that allow you to swap battery easily. For beginner, if you get a heli that require you to charge 40-60 min just to get 5-8 min flying time and no swapping of battery . you will get turn down easily by the waiting time. At least this happen to me on the S107 and quickly move to v911.
Jimmylyk is offline Find More Posts by Jimmylyk