HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2014, 05:01 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg South
Joined Aug 2014
21 Posts
Discussion
Volvo Ocean Race

There are only 28 days to go to the start of the next Volvo Ocean Race. There are some very eye-catching designs on the big boats. Which of you is going to be first out of the blocks with an RC version of one of the 1:1 boat designs? I think the Brunel and Dongfeng boats look particularly good.

I might have to head for Cape Town for the in port race on 15 November. You never know, they might just be looking for a crew replacement on one of the boats, for which I would happily donate a kidney.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/teams.html
22KV is offline Find More Posts by 22KV
Last edited by 22KV; Sep 06, 2014 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Images added
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2014, 07:55 AM
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
270 Posts
And don't forget about the Virtual Volvo Ocean Race. You can race a virtual version of a V70 along with the real boats. Their real positions are shown on the game board during the race. (Don't think the real boats want it to be that accurate). Did it last two times and although it was a lot of time and a few sleepless nights, it was a great time each time. Met other sailors from all over the globe. Check it out. www.virtualregatta.com

SJ

Oh and if your lucky enough to get a ride on a real V70, it will be an experience you will not soon forget.
SailingJunkie is offline Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
Old Sep 06, 2014, 08:05 AM
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
270 Posts
If your looking to get the paint scheme and graphics on your V70 just right but are not sure of your skill, you can send it to this guy. www.rcyachts.com. This is just one example of what he is able to do. The second photo shows the signature of Neil MacDonald who was the skipper of Ericsson that lap.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 08:06 PM
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
178 Posts
One of the guys here in Vancouver has built a model of the Macif.
Here is his build log.

Some Youtube videos (search for Kingplank for more).
20140616 2 (2 min 23 sec)
Scratchy101 is offline Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Old Sep 08, 2014, 12:45 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,562 Posts
That is a very impressive boat. Superior handling in those conditions! Thanks for sharing.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Sep 09, 2014, 12:23 AM
United States, IN, Greensburg
Joined Jun 2014
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJunkie View Post
And don't forget about the Virtual Volvo Ocean Race. You can race a virtual version of a V70 along with the real boats. Their real positions are shown on the game board during the race. (Don't think the real boats want it to be that accurate). Did it last two times and although it was a lot of time and a few sleepless nights, it was a great time each time. Met other sailors from all over the globe. Check it out. www.virtualregatta.com

SJ

Oh and if your lucky enough to get a ride on a real V70, it will be an experience you will not soon forget.
It looks cool, is it free to create a boat and enter the virtural race?
micromodder is online now Find More Posts by micromodder
Old Sep 10, 2014, 02:03 AM
Joined Feb 2013
80 Posts
How's this for a Volvo Ocean race boat Stockmaritimes VO65
It s been on the market a while now looks fantastic, I already have a Stockmaritime 3x1 might sell the wife for this

THE VOLVO OCEAN 65 - surfing with gennaker in the North Sea (4 min 50 sec)
chumphon is offline Find More Posts by chumphon
Old Sep 10, 2014, 01:19 PM
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micromodder View Post
It looks cool, is it free to create a boat and enter the virtural race?
It's free to sign up and get a boat. Additionally they offer upgrade packages like pro sails, auto tack, auto pilot, waypoints etc. given the length of the race, it's worth the $80 or so bucks for all you get.

SJ
Old Sep 10, 2014, 03:15 PM
Joined Aug 2014
21 Posts
Thanks for that clip Chumphon. Wow - RC gennaker with RC roller furler. Very, very trick.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 09:00 PM
United States, MN, Park Rapids
Joined Feb 2014
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumphon View Post
How's this for a Volvo Ocean race boat Stockmaritimes VO65
It s been on the market a while now looks fantastic, I already have a Stockmaritime 3x1 might sell the wife for this

http://youtu.be/tpWm8-Ph4Fw
Wow!!! that is a cool boat. The video is very well done and dramatic. Looks like a fun place to sail and I love the roller furling genoa.
md6364 is offline Find More Posts by md6364
Last edited by md6364; Sep 11, 2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:59 PM
Johannesburg
Joined Jun 2008
30 Posts
Maybe GMBC members who sail should club together and head off to Cape Town to see this spectacular. Sadly I need both kidneys still so I could be but a spectator!
courage@gp is offline Find More Posts by courage@gp
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:15 AM
Joined Feb 2013
80 Posts
I would love to sail on a real VO65
As I already have a stockmaritime boat I know they are expensive but do exactly what they are supposed to do. I am considering buying a VO65 to sail off the beach near my home I sail about 3 times a week with the 3x1.........only snag is Mrs Chumphon who "might" take a differing view about me spending 1800 ish Euros

Actually not "Might" WILL! .......guess I might have to factor a shopping trip in to Hong Kong to get away with It!
chumphon is offline Find More Posts by chumphon
Old Sep 15, 2014, 07:23 AM
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
270 Posts
There are real VO60's and V70's but no full size VO65's I'm afraid. For 1800, I'm sure I could get you a ride on a real V70 this time around.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:52 AM
United States, FL, Cocoa Beach
Joined Jan 2010
419 Posts
Volvo 65's

Unfortunately, the new Volvo 65's are one design. http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/boa...-the-boat.html

I'm curious, do any of the models use a canting keel?

The Open 60's(Vendee Globe and Barcelona World Race) have gone to one design masts and keels BUT they have left the appendage design open meaning that some of the new boats( like Hugo Boss) will be using lifting hydrofoils.
DLord is online now Find More Posts by DLord
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:04 AM
Joined Aug 2014
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord View Post
I'm curious, do any of the models use a canting keel?
Yikes! Don't we have enough to do already in a race in which you tack every 30 seconds or so? I guess if you forgot to cant the keel while tacking it's a mistake you would only make once!