SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I can only speak for myself that transitioning from Radian/Slow Stick/Vapor to UM T-28 didn't pose a problem as long as I thought about what I was doing at first. I just reverted to the blip method, where control movements are a quick blip of the stick and letting it return to center.

So it's <blip>, banked far enough? No, blip it again, yes, leave it alone. Coming out of the bank <blip> is she level? No, blip it again, too far, blip it back, yes, leave it alone. It's not smooth but it works great.
But, eventually you learned to smooth out the movements, correct?
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:43 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
No big deal. Which is why that specific bit wouldn't even be recalled after the pilot has moved on to other aircraft. It is that little of a factor!
Pure guess work right there. Everyone is different. But motor skills are not a result of thinking...get into a stress situation and a learned motor skill will take over for most.

Some will have trouble others will not. That's my experience.

If they are coached properly most will work through it..
ny_hawk is offline Find More Posts by ny_hawk
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_hawk View Post
Pure guess work right there. Everyone is different. And motor skills are not a result of thinking...get into a stress situation and a learned motor skill will take over for most.

Some will have trouble others will not. That's my experience.

If they are coached properly most will work through it..
I am not sure if you are saying I am wrong or agreeing with me, but that is a good way of putting it. It becomes a motor skill to put the stick where it needs to go to achieve the result, not to think about whether it is centered or not.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan4169 View Post
I am not sure if you are saying I am wrong or agreeing with me, but that is a good way of putting it. It becomes a motor skill to put the stick where it needs to go to achieve the result, not to think about whether it is centered or not.
No, holding a stick over against resistance is not the same as the blip method RR describes, or conventional use of ailerons.. If folks are used to holding over a stick against resistance THAT is what will, or could "come out" when stressed. It's been posted how many times? Folks having trouble making this very transition..

You perform the way you train and double so when stressed..
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:08 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,729 Posts
Yeah, the blip method is strictly a temp method to get you used to proper amount of stick deflection for a particular amount of influence on the plane's attitude and to help shield you from overcontrol at first. It's just a learning tool that works pretty good and gets replaced by small smooth stick movements as you learn what the plane likes to be fed.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:24 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
No, holding a stick over against resistance is not the same as the blip method RR describes, or conventional use of ailerons.. If folks are used to holding over a stick against resistance THAT is what will, or could "come out" when stressed. It's been posted how many times? Folks having trouble making this very transition..

I suppose this is what I'm getting at. Learned methods like holding the stick and then in a stress situation someone I feel would want to yank on it and hold it because they revert to their trainer experience.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Quote:

I wouldn't worry too much about a person that can't get over that hump, they aren't going to be in the hobby long enough to get past they trainer anyway. It isn't for everyone you know.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:53 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babadush View Post
I suppose this is what I'm getting at. Learned methods like holding the stick and then in a stress situation someone I feel would want to yank on it and hold it because they revert to their trainer experience.
It's definitely possible, as some have shared their difficulty transitioning to ailerons.

Also, when stressed smoothness goes away it gets jerky, movements get exaggerated, which is why expo is useful.. The key is to try and keep calm no matter what happens and keep your head in the game... Like Capt Sully...!
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
Who makes a nice scale balsa trainer 4 channel that BNF . I just like the larger scale and would like to have 4 channel working areoliane ( I know I didn't spell that right lol) . I just think a balsa scale trainer would be for me . I have a instructor now and the field is only 2 miles from my home . Looks like my son and I are on our way . You guys are great !!! I wish we would have gotten into flying years ago but I just had to race gas Rc boats ($2000 each new ) and that building from the ground up !!!! If you guys have done links for a scale balsa NBF that would be great .
Gavinxman is offline Find More Posts by Gavinxman
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:24 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I find all this rather humorous.
The biggest reason leccy trainers are 3 channel is they're cheap or they're designed for some one to learn on their own.
I've trained more people than I can remeber on 4 channel nitro's such as the Alpha, Kadet senior, Sig LT 40 an so forth.
If given a chance I'd rather train with ailerons. It's impossible to teach some one to crab in on a three channel.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:37 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
BTW it is sad that there are no good BNF electric trainers out there.
A person just need to put together there own package or go nitro.
As far as electric motors go you can't go wrong with hackers, motofly's or rim fires for even that matter.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:35 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
The biggest reason leccy trainers are 3 channel is they're cheap or they're designed for some one to learn on their own.
I've trained more people than I can remeber on 4 channel nitro's such as the Alpha, Kadet senior, Sig LT 40 an so forth.
If given a chance I'd rather train with ailerons. It's impossible to teach some one to crab in on a three channel.
They could drag a parachute from one wing!

Yup, if you're instructing the old-fashioned way they're on a buddy box and can learn on just about anything they want. It will ALWAYS be the best way to learn.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:37 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
297 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like two very good reasons to me (in my very limited experience). I have no hard numbers to back this up (just observation of comments here from other beginners like me), but my suspicion is that way more peeps get started in this hobby on their own or with informal 'support' from (sometimes equally clueless) friends rather than with experienced instructors. Hardly surprising when you can put a beginner suitable plane in the sky for well under $200.
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:44 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,328 Posts
Quote:
It's impossible to teach some one to crab in on a three channel.
That's not true. I can slip in my 3 ch Cub. Using mainly rudder and throttle input.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:53 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
297 Posts
I see a pattern here. Almost every time someone says "it can't be done", someone with more skill steps up and shows otherwise. Just goes to show there is always someone cleverer than "me". Reminds me to always be a little humble in my achievements.
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat