SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:59 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
I enjoy the transfer and cutting out of the parts, too.

It's just when it comes to the putting of those parts together to resemble an aircraft that it all seems to go wrong for me.....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:06 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I enjoy the transfer and cutting out of the parts, too.

It's just when it comes to the putting of those parts together to resemble an aircraft that it all seems to go wrong for me.....
You are too modest Colonel; we have two lots of evidence to the contrary; Exhibit 1 - Ajax. Exhibit 2 - Gipsy.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:30 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
I have been working away at the Sterling Stearman PT-17 printwood scans too. I started at the beginning scan. This thing is a BEAR! I have developed a method of figuring out which scan goes with which other scans to make up a sheet, but it has taken some time. Then the scans have to be straightened and assembled. Then the tracing begins. Now the other major problem is some of the scans are so indistinct that the part cannot be made out. Almost all of the ribs have this problem. I am trying to use the very few rib outlines shown on the plan to rebuild each rib. What a nightmare! Truthfully, with the formers and the ribs drawn, almost all the other parts can be taken from the plan itself. Add to this I find my plan is not to scale. This will be cured and the parts and the plan will match and the plan will be enlarged to meet the stated wingspan. I'll post it all here. But don't hold your breath.

Planeman
Thanks Rufus!
Here's a screen clip of what the cut sheets look like.
No, the bottom sets aren't CAD drawings.
I enjoy a nice piece of art as much as Educabara and others, but when a plan cannot be used as-is, I re-draw it to my satisfaction.
Thanks go to Rufus Planeman, Al Hogal, Craig cpmcgraw, Bruce Matthews, Vintage1, and the other folks I haven't re-called for the hundreds of hours put into these plan restorations. Ive learned a lot about vector drawing from all of you.
This is what we have to work with... 31 pdf pages representing 21 (at last count) cut sheets. What the first 9 look like...
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Last edited by rick.benjamin; Jan 29, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:48 PM
Joined Oct 2012
19 Posts
I have the original sterling kit on the shelf.
Thanks for posting the parts drawing.
One of the reasons I have not started the klit is the time and worry of drawing the parts properly.
If you could post them in pdf form when your don I would really appreciate it!
Thanks
marinefish666 is offline Find More Posts by marinefish666
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:15 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Love the discussion about table vrs CAD. I've got 5 different CAD programs on my computer, on which I've probably spent not more than 5 hours total in at least 15 years. I spent far more time on the boards scaling up SAM Old Timers for RC conversion on paper then I have on CAD. In fact for one, a Spook 72, I spent more time with sheets of paper, a calculator, and a table of ordinates drawing up 9 different sized wing ribs. I would take a magazine article, and using various drafting instruments and techniques, scale them up to full size and build the model. I think I started doing that in High School in the early 60s, using a slip stick instead of a calculator.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:34 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,371 Posts
Slip Stick, now your definitely showing your age. The trick to CAD programs is to insert the scanned image of the magazine plan into it, then you can scale it to any size you desire. So to speak.

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:45 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Slip stick, would that be a slide rule perchance?

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:46 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
Slip stick, would that be a slide rule perchance?

sparks
No, an abacus
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:54 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
I also understand that they make some sort of butter from peanuts of all things....
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:19 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
I still have my slide rule, but I can find no use for it other than showing it to young friends to explain how we used to work.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:04 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
Actually, I still have one too (somewhere), but being in secondary school when calculators gained prominence, I never could understand why you would want to use something that always gave an answer which was approximate.....

Having said that, I still use an aviation 'whizz wheel' (like a circular slide rule) for full size aviation!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:46 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
This is what we have to work with... 31 pdf pages representing 21 (at last count) cut sheets. What the first 9 look like...
This is great stuff. Very exciting to see this taking shape.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:31 AM
Joined Oct 2012
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
No, an abacus
Wasn't the Abacus a David Boddington design? If not, it should have been, great name for a model.

I designed a small low-winger many years ago which I named 'Virgin' - my clubmates asked 'Did you call it that because it was your first own design?'. I used to reply 'No, it was because after I test flew it I found it had no penetration'. . True!

Regards
Harry
Harry Rule is offline Find More Posts by Harry Rule
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:09 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,709 Posts
Or it's still flying and I haven't managed to - - - - - - -

Regards Ian
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:15 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,301 Posts
Goodness gracious this thread line took a dive.....I love it !
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 45" Nas-Tee built up