Old Aug 11, 2014, 04:38 PM
Submarine Airplane!
France, IDF, Paris
Joined Apr 2014
41 Posts
Discussion
Twin motor FT Old Fogey, will it fly?

Hello everyone,

I'm was building an old fogey, from flite test, it's a popular trainer model, I soon realised that the motor I had wasn't powerful enough for it: After maidening it, (more like crash testing), I noticed it couldn't climb, couldn't do much, and was really rocking in the low wind. I'll also add that this was my first flight in over 5 years, so I was feeling excited, but also, rusty.

So I decided to use what I had on hand to make it more powerful, adding a second identical motor and esc. Today was too windy out to fly, (10 mph), well, it was too hard for me, my three attempts ended in 10 seconds in the grass. I can't say I properly maidened it, because a motor mount came loose but I did expect it to be much more powerful, it was squirreling everywhere, and was particurlarily tough to manoeuver, that may be on account of the wind though. Not sure.

I realized after all those that the fogey is a 3 channel airplane,, it doesn't bank. so a question boggles me: Is it possible to have a dihedral wingtype as a twin motor setup on a 3channel aircraft? Are there any restrictions to that?

My research shows no planes that have those caracterisitics, 3 channels, and a dihedraled high wing type like on the old fogey, hence my question, if anyone has info to share on this, I'd be grateful!

Thanks,
Bab.
Babibab is offline Find More Posts by Babibab
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2014, 04:52 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,209 Posts
First: Test fly is calm conditions. That is the only way you will know how stable the plane is.
Where are the 2 motors mounted?
If they are positioned like common full-size practice, one on each wing than that is a configuration that will fly OK on rudder, elevator and throttle.
This is of course assuming the thrust from the 2 motors are matched and the plane is rigged correctly.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Aug 11, 2014, 05:04 PM
Submarine Airplane!
France, IDF, Paris
Joined Apr 2014
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
First: Test fly is calm conditions. That is the only way you will know how stable the plane is.
Where are the 2 motors mounted?
If they are positioned like common full-size practice, one on each wing than that is a configuration that will fly OK on rudder, elevator and throttle.
This is of course assuming the thrust from the 2 motors are matched and the plane is rigged correctly.
Both motors, and ESCs are identical, they were set up straight out of the box, so if there is any difference in them, it's related to a manufacturing setup.

They were positioned symmetrically reffering to the body, in classic "twin"position, one on each wing, with same distances separating them from the center.

I'll post some pics and the setup for it later on, but thanks for your input, your clarify my doubts.

Thanks,
Bab.
Babibab is offline Find More Posts by Babibab