HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JohnET, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 07:41 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
405 Posts
Discussion
Post your Vector wiring diagrams here!

Here are some of the diagrams from the manual for reference.
JohnET is offline Find More Posts by JohnET
Site Sponsor
Last edited by JohnET; Jul 15, 2014 at 08:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:14 PM
Joined Jun 2014
9 Posts
Can you identify the type of connectors used on the power supply and the GPS harnesses? I'm interested in making some custom harnesses and need to know what type of connectors to order from a supplier like Digikey. It would also be helpful to see a pin diagram for the power supply and the vector input.
TexasFPV is offline Find More Posts by TexasFPV
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:56 AM
United States, WA, Olalla
Joined May 2014
31 Posts
Quick question:
I currently have my ESCs powered by direct cable to my main battery pack with the ESC servo cables going into the vector motor ports.

I also have power going from my main battery pack directly cabled into the PSU input via xt60 connector. On the other side of the PSU are two outputs: one is another xt60 connector (indicated in red in the image below) and the other is for the wiring harness that goes into the Vector.

On page 14 in the manual, it shows a diagram indicating that the second xt60 plug should go to my ESCs. I don't understand, my ESCs are already getting power by direct battery connection.

Does this mean that I should remove the direct cabling between flight pack and ESCs and route the power from the PSU to the ESCs instead? Perhaps this is why I'm not getting Amp telemetry in the OSD. But before I go and blow up my ESCs, would love to get confirmation.
golgotha is online now Find More Posts by golgotha
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:31 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFPV View Post
Can you identify the type of connectors used on the power supply and the GPS harnesses? I'm interested in making some custom harnesses and need to know what type of connectors to order from a supplier like Digikey. It would also be helpful to see a pin diagram for the power supply and the vector input.
I think (but am not certain) that those are JST Micro or Micro ZH or SH (nut sure of the exact name) connectors. Those have 1.5mm or 1.0mm pin spacing and are about half the size or less of the JST XH series connector used for the balance/charging connector on LiPO battery packs.

Some are sold now, in various pin counts, for things like the OpenPilot CC3D and Revo controllers, the micro battery connectors used on some small helos and airplanes.

To get the contacts and housings (in various pin count and row configurations) you can go to Digi-Key and find them. They are quit reasonable to make and and easy to use if you can do your own crimping.

The different JST connector housing types are listed here:

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/se...rs=19073+13057

And I think, but am not sure (I don't have a Vector) that you want the either the ZH or SH series housings shown here:

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/pa...zh-series/8413

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/pa...sh-series/8406

If you browse some the flight controller brands, accessory cables are sold for serial port connections and things like that and those may work for what you need. Here is the OpenPilot/Revo serial port cable as an example:

http://store.openpilot.org/antennas-...ial-cable.html

You can also find some ready made micro JST cables on eBay if you do a search for "micro jst", one example is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Mini-Z...-/121367876357

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Last edited by jackerbes; Jul 13, 2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:51 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,041 Posts
Here is another source for the connector housing and terminals as used on the Vector OSD, GPS module and Airspeed sensor module.
They are 1.5mm pitch connectors.

Housing and Header
http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...0mm/150mm_1x4/

Terminal
http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...50mm/150mm_ft/

Geoff
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:32 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
Good Tip! For those prices I woul not go to Digi-Key unless I wanted a large quantity of them.

They make the crimping sound difficult and recommend soldering but it is not that hard at all. Here are the details on what crimping is all about:

https://www.jst.com/pdf/JST_CrinpCha...English%29.pdf

And I do the crimping on those and all other similar contacts with the GC #12-464 D-Sub Double-D crimping tool in the image.

If I want the highest degree of stength on a crimped contact I touch a tiny drop of solder to the rolled in crimp where the bare strands are after it is finished. That will wick into the wire and you will not be able to pull the contact off without destroying the wire. No blobs of solder are allowed or needed there.

Those crimpers can be found for $18 or so on the net and are lifetime tool. I have three extra of those crimpers, new in the package, and I'll mail one to you for $20 including postage, Help me clean up my basement! PM me an address we can work out the details.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:03 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgotha View Post
Quick question:
I currently have my ESCs powered by direct cable to my main battery pack with the ESC servo cables going into the vector motor ports.

I also have power going from my main battery pack directly cabled into the PSU input via xt60 connector. On the other side of the PSU are two outputs: one is another xt60 connector (indicated in red in the image below) and the other is for the wiring harness that goes into the Vector.

On page 14 in the manual, it shows a diagram indicating that the second xt60 plug should go to my ESCs. I don't understand, my ESCs are already getting power by direct battery connection.

Does this mean that I should remove the direct cabling between flight pack and ESCs and route the power from the PSU to the ESCs instead? Perhaps this is why I'm not getting Amp telemetry in the OSD. But before I go and blow up my ESCs, would love to get confirmation.

Ever get an answer to that?
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Jul 20, 2014, 02:19 PM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
296 Posts
My Setup for Arcus Sport

Sorry but I do not have great graphics capabilities!

goryc is offline Find More Posts by goryc
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:12 AM
Learning to crash
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2014
209 Posts
Quote:
Quick question:

I'm confused on this too. From what I read in the manual, (and I may be wrong) it says it only has a 12V 1amp rating. Are we supposed to power our ESC's with this? Doesnt sound right to me, but if we wire our ESC's before the PSU then we wouldnt get the correct amp draw in our OSD? I "tried" to do a little sketch up of what I think is the right way for my quad I'm building. Please correct me if this is wrong. Should we have the main pack voltage (11.7) going to our ESC's after the PSU, or before it? Sorry, its not the best schematic, I hope you can understand it. I think (at this time) I'll be running any video equipment off of a separate 2S 800 mah battery.
Tom T is offline Find More Posts by Tom T
Last edited by Tom T; Jul 21, 2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 09:38 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
405 Posts
Quote:
Quick question:

Hello,

Yes, the PSU goes between your battery and ESC main power connections.

Regards, John
JohnET is offline Find More Posts by JohnET
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:52 AM
United States, WA, Olalla
Joined May 2014
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnET View Post
Hello,

Yes, the PSU goes between your battery and ESC main power connections.

Regards, John
I rewired and now have my battery feeding the PSU before power is routed to my ESCs and other components. I now have proper amp draw indication in the OSD.

Thanks John.
golgotha is online now Find More Posts by golgotha
Old Jul 31, 2014, 04:08 PM
Joined Jun 2014
9 Posts
JST Connectors

I finally got around to ordering some connectors from Digikey to make custom harnesses. This is what I ordered.

Current sensor/PSU output:
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...%29&vendor=455

Vector PSU input:
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...4VS&vendor=455

GPS/Audio/uart:
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...%29&vendor=455

Vector receiver input:
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...8VS&vendor=455

I also ordered the appropriate pins for the connector housings. I had no trouble ordering from Digikey in small quantities, and the prices seemed reasonable. Once I receive my order and I make some custom harnesses I'll post some pictures.
Old Aug 01, 2014, 04:31 AM
Joined Aug 2012
108 Posts
Looks as if the skylark cables and plugs will fit as well.. maybe a cheaper option.

M
Mcrock is offline Find More Posts by Mcrock
Old Aug 01, 2014, 03:28 PM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
I'm sure this is basic, so apologies in advance.

I have just received the Vector system and am wiring it up to a HobbyPartz 5.8GHz video transmitter. This transmitter has the signal/neutral/ground (I think that's right) in one cable/connector and a second connector for dedicated battery (2-wire).

If I use the Vid Tx power on the Vector harness to plug in a battery dedicated to the Vid Tx, then will power get routed through that second harness from the Vector to the Vid Tx?

In summary, I'm following the chart in the Vector manual (top of page 18) for a 'Separate Video Battery'. If I do that, then I am not using the power (battery in) to the Vid Tx, is this correct?

Thanks for any help!
Andrew
astrovert is offline Find More Posts by astrovert
Old Aug 02, 2014, 06:17 PM
Joined Jun 2014
9 Posts
Custom Harnesses

As promised, here are some photos of the custom harnesses I wired today. My system doesn't require 5 volts off of the power supply at the moment, so no 5 volt wires are currently attached to the power harness. It would be easy to add the 5 volt connection later if I need it in the future (for example, to power a receiver). Likewise, the receiver harness only has 3 wires attached since I currently use s.bus.

All the wire is 26 gauge, except for the camera lead, which is 28 gauge. 26 gauge just doesn't work well with the Molex PicoBlade connector on my camera.

Making custom harnesses isn't too difficult with some practice, but it is a bit labor intensive. If anyone else wants to make a custom harness, I would recommend you buy extra terminals, because you will screw up a few times. I would also get a set of Engineer PA-09 crimpers. They are a bit pricey, but they are the only crimper I have been able to find with dies small enough for the micro size terminals, other than the really expensive ones sold by JST and Molex. That said, the JST and Molex crimpers probably give a more consistent crimp (they ratchet).