HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2004, 02:09 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
CD-ROM laser-dolly motor as DD tail motor? Initial tests...

I dismantled a CD-ROM yesterday and noticed that the motor used to drive the laser-dolly back and forth is about the right size for a tail motor. Diameter is a little bit larger than the stock:

Diameter: 11,8 x 15,8 mm (flat motor)
Can length: 26,3 mm (29,5 bearing-to-bearing)
I have no scale to measure the weight.

It pulls 0,4 A at 8,8 V (measured load voltage) with a 5,5x4 prop cut down to 4,5"which isn't too bad I guess (???). I havent' measured the stock AeroHawk motor yet. At first I thought that this is probably a 5 V motor and will probably draw way too much current at the voltages I will need to use it at. that's why I didn't bother trying it when I dismantled a different CD-ROM earlier, that had the exact same partnumber as this one (I still have the can). I made a ghetto prop-adapter by using the worm-drive gear that was originally mounted on it and threading a CA-drenched balsa nut to the back of the prop.

It does push a respectable amount of air.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2004, 02:22 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
I have one of those and I would bet that it would work well for docile flying - the problem is that it seems to take a while to spin up and may not be able to react quickly enough to keep up with some flying.

Been keeping it in mind for a small airplane really.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Feb 20, 2004, 02:25 PM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
Be careful with these - I've taken apart about 20 CD-Rom drives of vintages ranging from '94 through '02, and I've yet to encounter one with a brushed motor that had carbon brushes. Without fail, they've all been metal-fingered ones, which would have a short life at the currents we need.

They also do not take kindly to being turned "backwards" (CW when facing the output sharft, CCW when facing the back plate) and will often fail in a hurry if run backwards at high currents.

I'm usually wrong, especially when I speak up on something I think I know something about, so take that into account. It sure would be nice to use all those motors for something other than refrigerator magnets.
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor
Old Feb 20, 2004, 02:33 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
I am charging the battery now so we'll see in half an hour. It does seem a bit slow to start, and it does indeed have finger brushes.

I bet it'll be crap!
Old Feb 20, 2004, 02:39 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Yes, the versions I have all had metal wipers too I believe.

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Feb 20, 2004, 03:20 PM
Joined Apr 2001
428 Posts
If it is going to be direct drive, why not mount it on the opposite side of the boom so it will spin in forward direction. That is how I have my GWS DD tail motor.
It rotates in normal direction and prop provides cooling as well.

Mark
mpj220 is offline Find More Posts by mpj220
Old Feb 20, 2004, 03:44 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
It doesn't get enough voltage to work so it runs way too slow.

I could rewind it, I have lots of wire for it. But I'm lazy, and besides, the brushes will probably just die just as fast as the stock motor.
Last edited by Lynxman; Feb 20, 2004 at 03:51 PM.