HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:33 AM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,834 Posts
Discussion
I'd like to try FP again. Help!!

When I gave up, I had 2 HoneyBee FPV2 helis, with a gob of spare parts. I got frustrated because every less than perfect landing resulted in replacement of at least one of the two "ring likes" (if you are familiar with a FP HoneyBee!) Parts were cheap, but the heli just never seemed to fly the same twice in a row. My skill level remained at being able to hover a full pack, thats about it!

What's available now in the same size/price range of the HoneyBee, but with more consistant characteristics???

Thanks for any help

Jim
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:05 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
That segment of the market is gone. Most of the FP action is now in quads. They seriously out-perform conventional FP helis, are far more durable and have no moving parts. The only thing you will find that is comparable to the HBFP is likely to be obsolete and hard to get parts for. The best built and handling of those is probably the Walkera UFly or UFlyS. Of the current FP helis, the only one that comes close to the configuration of the HBFP is the Multiplex Funcopter, which will cost you at least $500 and is huge. The best flybar heli currently made is probably the Blade 120SR. It's flight characteristics are going to be pretty close to what you are looking for and it's very durable. But, it's smaller and extremely light.

There are also 45 offset flybar models from several toy companies that have far inferior flight characteristics to what you are used to, and generally low reliability. If you need something more durable and reliable than the HBFP, none of these will cut it. The best of those is probably the MJX F45. It's the same size as the HBFP, but about twice the weight, so it really needs motor upgrades. It's over-stabilized and flies like a bus, so it won't teach you much. But, if you are just looking for something to fly, that's your best bet.

Otherwise, there are a number of 8" long micros. They are generally better suited to indoor flight, but a few of the flybarless models are quite versatile, like the Blade MSRx and Walkera Super FP. The issue with flybarless FP helis is the comparable CP versions handle better and have fewer quirks.

If your HBFP still works and you need those ring-like links, you can use No. 7 faucet O-rings twisted into a figure 8. They work quite nicely and don't break.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:55 PM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
That segment of the market is gone. Most of the FP action is now in quads. They seriously out-perform conventional FP helis, are far more durable and have no moving parts. The only thing you will find that is comparable to the HBFP is likely to be obsolete and hard to get parts for. The best built and handling of those is probably the Walkera UFly or UFlyS. Of the current FP helis, the only one that comes close to the configuration of the HBFP is the Multiplex Funcopter, which will cost you at least $500 and is huge. The best flybar heli currently made is probably the Blade 120SR. It's flight characteristics are going to be pretty close to what you are looking for and it's very durable. But, it's smaller and extremely light.

There are also 45 offset flybar models from several toy companies that have far inferior flight characteristics to what you are used to, and generally low reliability. If you need something more durable and reliable than the HBFP, none of these will cut it. The best of those is probably the MJX F45. It's the same size as the HBFP, but about twice the weight, so it really needs motor upgrades. It's over-stabilized and flies like a bus, so it won't teach you much. But, if you are just looking for something to fly, that's your best bet.

Otherwise, there are a number of 8" long micros. They are generally better suited to indoor flight, but a few of the flybarless models are quite versatile, like the Blade MSRx and Walkera Super FP. The issue with flybarless FP helis is the comparable CP versions handle better and have fewer quirks.

If your HBFP still works and you need those ring-like links, you can use No. 7 faucet O-rings twisted into a figure 8. They work quite nicely and don't break.
Thanks for the info. The 120sr makes sense, as I have dX6I on hand.
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W