HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:47 AM
I added lift to my stable!
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Question
Akcent 1 DLG Owners-- Setup question!

I've just completed repairs on a friends Akcent 1 DLG . . .

The plane is repaired and now I need to do the configuration work on the radio and cg the plane.

Can anyone give me the details? I need:
  • Best CG point
  • differential ?
  • Throws for aileron, rudder, elevator
  • Anything else helpful etc. !
tbird911 is offline Find More Posts by tbird911
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:34 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,258 Posts
Dave, I doubt you have an Akcent-1, there was no Akcent-1 models shipped to the USA (and technically the was only an Akcent model many years ago, not Akcent-1). It is likely Akcent-2.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1347755
http://olgol.com/Akcent-2/
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:49 AM
FLYSWA!
Joined Apr 2006
195 Posts
Dave,

I have an Akcent 2. My cg is at 74mm and the setup is right off the links Oleg provided although the throws are slightly more on all surfaces. 9.7 ounces or 275 grams. Very stable in this configuration.

It is a very good DLG and I have a lot throws on it, even a second place sportflyer beer glass from CASA/ESL in July.

BUT! I can't throw it as high as my other model for some reason (zone v2 bagged wing). Launch height is a real puzzle to me on this model. I have -.5mm reflex and enough up trim in launch mode to achieve the proper launch trajectory....but I have to push over at the top much lower than just about any other model I've had.

I was going to have Oleg or one of the other good guys take a look at it at ECHLGF this last weekend but we were all busy flying, timing, eating and generally having a blast! Frank Dumas did comment that his is one of his best launching models so I'm assuming it is my setup.

Any other Akcent users have this issue?

Reid
ReidRoberts is offline Find More Posts by ReidRoberts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:05 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol View Post
Dave, I doubt you have an Akcent-1, there was no Akcent-1 models shipped to the USA (and technically the was only an Akcent model many years ago, not Akcent-1). It is likely Akcent-2.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1347755
http://olgol.com/Akcent-2/

Right you are . . .as usual . . .

Not that familiar with the Akcents and just made and ASS-umption

Thanks for the info!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:35 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,431 Posts
Akcent-2 is one of my highest launching and best flying planes. I've recorded over 190' with the ship in breeze. Frank I'm sure is well past 200'. I don't have all my settings on hand but I know a few things:

1) Not running reflex at all.
2) Have top-drive with 100% stiff linkages
3) Didn't use the stock rudder. On the advice of Frank and 1 or 2 other top pilots I went with a Seba Edge from day 1. I beat that rudder up and am currently using a Fr3aK v1.0 vertical. Oleg launches great with the stock vertical but he is a very very smooth, high launcher. Us mere mortals and more power vs. technique guys need some more help in the back end.

All that being said the ZV2 will probably outlaunch this ship if its a clean wing and properly built. Still the A2 leaves little on the table when built out in the 10oz range. I flew mine to a 1000 point score in a 5x2min task out at the Salisbury contest WITH A GASH in the wing for 90% of the round.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:40 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Great info!

Thanks for all the info . . .

This plane was bought by a fellow DLG flyer off of the groups and our RC field club president and his son have just about been assimilated

Last weekend, dad accidentally launched the plane and as soon as he went to release/change the two position switch for his launch preset, the flaps deployed and the rest is history

I've rebuilt the plane and just getting it ready to return to them, but I need to finish programming the tx and do a flight test.

Tbird
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:42 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,431 Posts
Dave,

Any photos of the repair work? I've got a crease in one wing panel that needs some TLC and I'm not sure how to approach it yet, the paint really throws a kink in things for me.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:53 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
Dave,

Any photos of the repair work? I've got a crease in one wing panel that needs some TLC and I'm not sure how to approach it yet, the paint really throws a kink in things for me.
Sam,

I can post some . . .luckily for me the wing was creased in 3 or 4 places, a control horn was pulled out and the aileron control rod bent. I don't have any of the wings with me, but I'll post some later today when I get home.

I steamed the wing, injected some foam-safe thin CA into the damaged spots and applied some 3/4 oz glass in others. That darn wing was supper stiff, even in the creases prior to any repair work

The fuselage and boom were rather nasty . . .

First, I cleaned everything up and then used thin CA on all of the splits and cracks that were small (with no material missing) and epoxy w/ flock to fill and secure any areas that had gaps.

Second step, was to go back after waiting 24hrs and sand everything again. This was done to get back to a smooth surface and check the strength.

Third step was to basically make a uni-carbon sleeve/sock that started 1.5 inches in front of the damaged saddle area and extended to about 2 inches aft of the saddle area -- West Systems epoxy. blot , you know the drill

Fourth step, Sand . . .sand . . .clean with acetone (very carefully and lightly)

Fifth step, 3/4 fiberglass cloth sock extending over the uni-carbon repair, West Systems, blot and sand when dry

Sixth step, run control rods (etched Teflon) check support ramps and good to go!

Seventh, purely aesthetic and avoidable step . . . dilute West Systems and used a gloved hand to rub an ultralight coat of finishing epoxy over the entire thing to restore the glossy top finish. The important thing here was to put just a couple of drops and then really hand-rub it to essentially coat the whole fuselage and adding only minimal weight. At this point, the plane was going to be ultralight, so I figured it might as well look good too.
  • gaps/cracks running down both sides of the wing saddle
  • splits at various locations running down the fuese sides
  • vertical cracks fore of the wing saddle
  • full tube and control rod replacement for tail feathers
Last edited by tbird911; Oct 08, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined May 2010
325 Posts
Hi

here are good setup of my friend Roy, you may find useful

Beetle-Jet is offline Find More Posts by Beetle-Jet
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:23 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird911 View Post
Sam,

I can post some . . .luckily for me the wing was creased in 3 or 4 places, a control horn was pulled out and the aileron control rod bent. I don't have any of the wings with me, but I'll post some later today when I get home.

I steamed the wing, injected some foam-safe thin CA into the damaged spots and applied some 3/4 oz glass in others. That darn wing was supper stiff, even in the creases prior to any repair work

The fuselage and boom were rather nasty . . .

First, I cleaned everything up and then used thin CA on all of the splits and cracks that were small (with no material missing) and epoxy w/ flock to fill and secure any areas that had gaps.

Second step, was to go back after waiting 24hrs and sand everything again. This was done to get back to a smooth surface and check the strength.

Third step was to basically make a uni-carbon sleeve/sock that started 1.5 inches in front of the damaged saddle area and extended to about 2 inches aft of the saddle area -- West Systems epoxy. blot , you know the drill

Fourth step, Sand . . .sand . . .clean with acetone (very carefully and lightly)

Fifth step, 3/4 fiberglass cloth sock extending over the uni-carbon repair, West Systems, blot and sand when dry

Sixth step, run control rods (etched Teflon) check support ramps and good to go!

Seventh, purely aesthetic and avoidable step . . . dilute West Systems and used a gloved hand to rub an ultralight coat of finishing epoxy over the entire thing to restore the glossy top finish. The important thing here was to put just a couple of drops and then really hand-rub it to essentially coat the whole fuselage adding only minimal weight. At this point, the plane was not going to be ultralight, so I figured it might as well look good.
  • gaps/cracks running down both sides of the wing saddle
  • splits at various locations running down the fuese sides
  • vertical cracks fore of the wing saddle
  • full tube and control rod replacement for tail feathers
Some before pictures . . .this was after the thin ca and gap filling adventure and before the first set of pics . . . .
Last edited by tbird911; Oct 08, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:49 PM
I have a DLG problem...
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Aug 2011
450 Posts
Nice work T-Pimp.

I was gonna say you don't know your Akcs from your Akcent2, but I'm gonna roll with: you and your velveteen hands can rub my boom down anytime.
Scrib is online now Find More Posts by Scrib
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:52 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib View Post
Nice work T-Pimp.

I was gonna say you don't know your Akcs from your Akcent2, but I'm gonna roll with: you and your velveteen hands can rub my boom down anytime.
As a little girl, I attended many weeks of training at what was then called a "Geisha House." I was under the assumption that it had to do with Glider repair, but sadly . . .it was not what I thought.

Being a young lass who will always to try make lemonade from lemons, I turned my attentions to the lessons at hand and now , I am sought after . . .the world over.

When it comes to boom rubbing, I am second to none.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:46 PM
FLYSWA!
Joined Apr 2006
195 Posts
ewww. right on down that slippery slope and here on a wholesome DLG thread.

Back on topic!

OK. I'm going to get a new vertical tail for my Akcent to improve launch height. Which ones? Is BoWings (Swindell tails) still in business? Seba's?

Who is making the best ones and is ready to ship in a reasonable amount of time?

Thanks,
Reid
ReidRoberts is offline Find More Posts by ReidRoberts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:37 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
610 Posts
I have used Swindell's with great results tough yet light! I know Seba's are awesome too just never used them!
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:00 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidRoberts View Post
ewww. right on down that slippery slope and here on a wholesome DLG thread.

Back on topic!

OK. I'm going to get a new vertical tail for my Akcent to improve launch height. Which ones? Is BoWings (Swindell tails) still in business? Seba's?

Who is making the best ones and is ready to ship in a reasonable amount of time?

Thanks,
Reid

Wholesome . . .? With Scribs and I both in the same thread . . .hmmm

Some choose to turn a blind eye . . .

Some flip and roll around in it like a Chinchilla in an ashe bath . . .

Chewbacca Takes a Dust Bath (Part 1) (1 min 41 sec)
Last edited by tbird911; Oct 08, 2012 at 11:07 PM.